Lady Canning

Bayleaf

As part of another discussion elsewhere, Mike142sl raised the question "Who was Lady Canning?", as in Lady Canning's Plantation at Ringinglow. Google will tell you who she was, but does anyone know the local connection, and how a plantation at Ringinglow came to bear her name?

As part of another discussion elsewhere, Mike142sl raised the question "Who was Lady Canning?", as in Lady Canning's Plantation at Ringinglow.

Flippin eckers...Was that this year ?????

Flippin eckers...Was that this year ?????

Only a couple of months ago Mike, discussing William Woodhouse and his pub-cum-Methodist church!

How's this for starters?

I don’t know whether any of this is relevant. I can find 2 Lady Cannings. One was the wife of the 2nd Earl Canning, Governor General of India. However, his mother, Joan, was raised to the peerage in honour of his late father, a prominent politician, and briefly Prime Minister, with the title 1st Countess Canning, and this is where his title came down to him.

She was sister-in-law to the Duke of Portland, who was the grandson of the 4th Duke of Devonshire. There’s an intriguing letter from her to the Duke of Portland, dated 1820, which says she

knows so little about plantations and about the land in question that she cannot give a decision on the questions referred to her; gives him 'carte blanche' to decide as he thinks fit; comments that she is prepared to spend £100 in experiments which promise a fair chance of success; says she will not return to England until after Easter and comments on the social life in Paris; thinks the opera would 'delight' him.

The plantation appears on mid19th century maps, and some dendrochronology on older trees in the plantation give an age of around 150 years.

What do you think?

How's this for starters?

I don’t know whether any of this is relevant. I can find 2 Lady Cannings. One was the wife of the 2nd Earl Canning, Governor General of India. However, his mother, Joan, was raised to the peerage in honour of his late father, a prominent politician, and briefly Prime Minister, with the title 1st Countess Canning, and this is where his title came down to him.

She was sister-in-law to the Duke of Portland, who was the grandson of the 4th Duke of Devonshire. There’s an intriguing letter from her to the Duke of Portland, dated 1820, which says she

knows so little about plantations and about the land in question that she cannot give a decision on the questions referred to her; gives him 'carte blanche' to decide as he thinks fit; comments that she is prepared to spend £100 in experiments which promise a fair chance of success; says she will not return to England until after Easter and comments on the social life in Paris; thinks the opera would 'delight' him.

The plantation appears on mid19th century maps, and some dendrochronology on older trees in the plantation give an age of around 150 years.

What do you think?

I posted pretty much the same thing on the Sheffield Forum a couple of years ago. I've wondered about Lady Canning's Plantation everytime I've run through it.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=908120