Howard Hotel, Howard Street

Edmund

Here's a link to an "Archaeological Building Appraisal" commissioned by Marston's brewery in 2010. It's very detailed and shows that the Howard is made up of a number of separate buildings (part of it being a Brush Works in 1889):

http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/catalogue/adsdata/arch-424-1/dissemination/pdf/archaeol5-90945_1.pdf

Thanks for this Edmund , it is very interesting reading.

I always suspected there were a few other ex business's in there from the past and this tells it all.

Now that's strange, in the 1970's Sheffield telephone numbers beginning with 2 were 5 digits long, the front page of this item clearly states 216061. a misprint I think, so what was the correct number for the time, should not be to hard to find.

Now that's strange, in the 1970's Sheffield telephone numbers beginning with 2 were 5 digits long, the front page of this item clearly states 216061.

29281 was our works number in the 60s. W/E.

On 12/08/2013 at 02:34, Edmund said:

Here's a link to an "Archaeological Building Appraisal" commissioned by Marston's brewery in 2010. It's very detailed and shows that the Howard is made up of a number of separate buildings (part of it being a Brush Works in 1889):

http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/catalogue/adsdata/arch-424-1/dissemination/pdf/archaeol5-90945_1.pdf

The building The Howard  was made up from many smaller buisenes there were six cellers and a 7th which was a coal cellar also a well  in one them which my father found when the flag stones gave way revealing a 70 ft drop into a stone encased well 

The building next to the Howard was also of simular size but remained unrenovated and only rented to a guy who sold T shirts this was also owed by the proprietor of the howerd and the reason why the university  could not purchase as it had grade 2 listing in regard to its windows sold in the 90s to my knowledge to either Mansfield or Marston brewer for an undisclosed amount . Great memories or growing from boy to man here staff were excellent like family to us but I think we were seen as the slave maser sometime best wishes to all who worked, drank and stayed with us

When we moved from Sheffield to Foolow (Peak District) my father who was a journalist at The Star always stayed at the Howard Hotel when heavy snow made the journey home impossible.

He spoke highly of the place but my memories from the mid 80's are not so good, it was pretty run down by then.

Regards,

Jay.