The Gas Showrooms On The Moor

tozzin

Does anyone have any idea as to what year the Gas Showroom and Offices closed on the Moor, its currently occupied by the Pond Shop. I think a car accessory shop took it over from the gas people, then a book clearance store followed selling its books by weight.

I was made redundant from British Gas Retail at the end of 1999 - their 250 "Energy Centres" (fom the old Showrooms) closed in the latter half of 1999. I don't recall whether the Moor showroom was a showroom that was converted into an "Energy Centre" but I would put my guess on it being closed in 1999.

The book clearance store took up the unit in 1998 and vacated in 2000, so when did the Auto Accessory shop take over from British Gas?

Does anyone have any idea as to what year the Gas Showroom and Offices closed on the Moor, its currently occupied by the Pond Shop. I think a car accessory shop took it over from the gas people, then a book clearance store followed selling its books by weight.

If it's the shop unit I'm thinking of I'm pretty sure that before it became a gas showroom it was a branch of Proops, the London based electronics and technology shop. They sold a lot of military surplus rather like Bardwells used to do. This would be in the sixties into the seventies. I think the gas showroom at that time was based in Fargate after moving there from Commercial street.

HD

If it's the shop unit I'm thinking of I'm pretty sure that before it became a gas showroom it was a branch of Proops, the London based electronics and technology shop. They sold a lot of military surplus rather like Bardwells used to do. This would be in the sixties into the seventies. I think the gas showroom at that time was based in Fargate after moving there from Commercial street.

HD

Wasn't that shop at Moorfoot, on the corner of Cumberland Street (Fitzwillam Gate) ?

Wasn't that shop at Moorfoot, on the corner of Cumberland Street (Fitzwillam Gate) ?

Now you come to mention it, it was.

I remember buying a gas fire in early 1974 and at that time the Emgas showroom was in Fargate.

The gas showroom on the Moor was on the corner of Earl Street.

Further down Earl Street was a Emgas workshop on a plot where there used to be a gasholder.

I remember walking past one day and on the corner was an outdoor governor station.

Something must have gone wrong because a bloke was working a big control valve back and forth to control district pressure while studying a pressure gauge in front of him. It looked very hard work.

HD

I do not remember the building as a gas showroom, but can recall it as being a car spares outlet,

items seemed to be scattered willy-nilly around the shop floor, some were placed on temporary shelving.

The shop appeared to be one of those 'here today gone tomorrow' type of places, don't think it lasted long.

Guest plain talker

I remember the "emgas" (East Midlands Gas) showrooms at the bottom of Fargate where the HSBC bank is now, I remember going downstairs with my mother to pay the bills.
I also remember the Pound Shop on the moor as the gas showrooms. The "YEB" (Yorkshire Electricity Board) had showrooms on Arundel Gate and at Moorfoot where the "BrightHouse" shop is now.