Could This Be True

Guest sal1974

Guest sal1974

After a conversation with a relative of mine I was told that my 3rd great grandfather disowned my 2nd great grandfather and it he put a notice in the times about it. Could this be possible? Has anybody ever heard of anything like this before?

Very plausible. Such notices are usually about money, declaring that someone will not be responsible for any debts incurred by an estranged spouse or other relative.

edit: if you give the names (and maybe an approximate date) it would be possible to look in the Times archive for it.

Guest sal1974

Unfortunately we don't have a clue on dates :-( It is a story my nan was told as a little girl. Interesting that it could be true tho, I would love to find out more. The story goes... Henry Mitchell b: abt 1834 d: 1901 who was a sporting agent disowned John C Mitchell b: 1865 d: 1937. It is thought the fall out was to do with the family's disaproval of his marriage to Elizabeth Beatrice Alice renshaw (poor girl). He married her in 1901 so it could be about this time just before his death.

I had a search but couldn't find anything in the Times. I also tried the Sheffield Independent without success though I only have access up to 1900, and there are gaps in the coverage of the 1890's.

Hugh