Brightmore St

roy1942

Here's an 1890 map showing Brightmore Street, which ran from Upper St Phillips Road to Brook Hill. I've marked what I believe is no 29 and counted along assuming standard odd numbers, to get to no 57 marked in yellow - however the numbering seems to have gone up to at least no. 86 so this assumption is probably wrong - 57 may well be around Court 6. The 1950's OS maps would confirm the numbering but the pages now seem to be huge and my computer falls over before it loads them..

From 1894 showing location relative to Brook Hill:

Here's an 1890 map showing Brightmore Street, which ran from Upper St Phillips Road to Brook Hill. I've marked what I believe is no 29 and counted along assuming standard odd numbers, to get to no 57 marked in yellow - however the numbering seems to have gone up to at least no. 86 so this assumption is probably wrong - 57 may well be around Court 6. The 1950's OS maps would confirm the numbering but the pages now seem to be huge and my computer falls over before it loads them..

attachicon.gifBrightmore Street 1890.png

From 1894 showing location relative to Brook Hill:

attachicon.gifBrightmore Street 1894.png

We do not have the 1950's OS map that covers #57 Brightmore Street, here is a crop from the the nearest ..

cheers stevehb managed to get a couple photocopies of 1950s os maps with house nos I have marked the same house you have.

Alfred Wells, news agent, is listed in directories 1905-1925 at 2 Brightmore Street (corner of Upper St Philip's Road) - see the 1950's map above.

Alfred Wells, news agent, is listed in directories 1905-1925 at 2 Brightmore Street (corner of Upper St Philip's Road) - see the 1950's map above.

(I posted the following on FaceBook)

Dating the photo: The "Trap Accident" in Hathersage took place on Thursday 27th April 1911. It didn't make the papers on the 28th, so this photo was probably taken on Saturday 29th. The 'Empire Matinee' 'to help the cripples' is advertised for Saturday 13th May (it looks like the 11th in the photo but I am pretty sure it must say the 13th)

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 29 Apr 1911
1911-04-29 SDT Trap accident.JPG

Independent 13 May 1911

1911-05-13 Ind Empire Matinee.JPG

On 31/07/2013 at 16:51, roy1942 said:

anyone know were 57, brightmore st stood I think was in the st George church, netherthorpe area.

I was born at 53 Brightmore at in 1946. My gran lived next door at 51 and the Whiteheads lived at the other side of us at 55. 57 was nicknamed the "salt box". Next to 57 was entry to the yard, then one more house before the chippy on the corner of Brightmore and Robertshaw streets. On the opposite corner was the Imperial public house run by my brand's friend Leah? Across from us up two different entries lived the Fidlers and Penningtons, both friends of my gran. Going down the street, on the corner of Brightmore and Mitchell streets was Beanlands corner shop. There was a small general stores across from the chillies but this went as that side of the street was demolished. 

Sorry for the typos in my previous message. Most of the children in and around Brightmore st attended either St George's C of E school of St Vincent's RC. There was also St Stephen's. Mr Cotton was headmaster at St G. A real oh strict man, he would visit the junior and senior schools carrying the comic book cane with one end curved under his arm. Miss Bridgehams was the head teacher of the infants. My father Harry went to the school and was taught by Mr Wright. I think there was a Mr Crook too in the senior school. Mr Lomas taught J3, Mrs Murray J2, Mrs Taylor J1 and the J4 teacher was a very humorous lady who taught the choir as well.

Guest leksand
On 31/07/2013 at 16:51, roy1942 said:

anyone know were 57, brightmore st stood I think was in the st George church, netherthorpe area.

The precise location will be dependant upon the date of your source. Brightmore Street was initially numbered ascending from the Brook Hill end. This appears to have been altered, with numbers subsequently ascending from the St Philips Rd end, during 1871, although the switch had not been effected by the time of census. After the switch number 57 was as previously noted. Prior to that it was the property which became number 52 (the house sitting at the south-western corner of the Brightmore & Mitchell St intersection).