Pig Swill

Guest pola

Can anyone tell me if Pig swill was collected from the streets of Attercliffe in the 1950' and 60's strange question I know but it would be a great help if anyone remembers .Thanks Pola

Can anyone tell me if Pig swill was collected from the streets of Attercliffe in the 1950' and 60's strange question I know but it would be a great help if anyone remembers .Thanks Pola

I would imagine so, a few sweets for veg peelings was the norm.

Some of my relatives kept pigs, and I don't mean we kids, but they fed them on food waste collected from the local school. Only the scrapings from the pudding bowls of course. You had to keep out of the way of the big sows, you couldn't trifle with them.

You weren't allowed to feed them anything containing meat.

The school had a separate set of bins for the pudding waste.

After collection in a barrow it was tipped into a big cast iron pot and boiled for ages.

The pig manure was tipped around the base of the best climbing tree in the place, guess who fell out of it into the fermenting pig muck ?

It stung a bit.

HD

Hi there and thanks, I remember we had the pig swill collected where I lived in the country but I want to know if the same thing happened in Sheffield, it is reseach for a book I am writing and the story begins in Sheffield, where I began my somewhat bumpy journey through life. I seem to remember left over food being collected for pig swill but I didn't remember it was just sweet stuff, I knew no meat was allowed in it, what about fish, thanks for the help and poor you HD thats the sort of thing that happened to me.

Hi there and thanks, I remember we had the pig swill collected where I lived in the country but I want to know if the same thing happened in Sheffield, it is reseach for a book I am writing and the story begins in Sheffield, where I began my somewhat bumpy journey through life. I seem to remember left over food being collected for pig swill but I didn't remember it was just sweet stuff, I knew no meat was allowed in it, what about fish, thanks for the help and poor you HD thats the sort of thing that happened to me.

Everything went into pig swill as I remember, waste from restaurants, and the market, a bin full of chicken guts, yummy.

Apparently feeding pigs waste food from catering establishments including domestic kitchens is banned nowadays.

Certain bulk unsold produce items can be used providing they have had no contact with meat products.

This came about as a result of the 2001 Foot & Mouth outbreak.

Most of the world seems to have adopted this measure.

I wonder if "Good Life" hobbyists follow this ruling ?

HD

Apparently feeding pigs waste food from catering establishments including domestic kitchens is banned nowadays.

Certain bulk unsold produce items can be used providing they have had no contact with meat products.

This came about as a result of the 2001 Foot & Mouth outbreak.

Most of the world seems to have adopted this measure.

I wonder if "Good Life" hobbyists follow this ruling ?

HD

I think things changed in the mid 60's about swill feeding, something to do with imported meat products having the foot and mouth virus.

Hi yes I knew it was stopped, I remember the devastion caused by foot and mouth in the 60's but I am wondering if pig swill was collected from houses in sheffield or just from schools and hospitals x

It was still being collected from the NG Hospital in the early 1970s and I think it was all the waste that went in the bin. There was a farm at the top end of the hospital where the Longley Farm estate was later built.

Lyn