Sheaf House And Grounds Bramall Lane

duckweed

Can someone help me out with history of this. Listing says built by John Younge but I have a member of Bramall Family. Also says the grounds were used by Sheffield Wednesday in one book. So how far did grounds reach? Was this before Bramall Lane stadium was built?

I have a newspaper article saying Bramall formerly of Sheaf House. Was there more than one house called Sheaf House? When did it become an Inn? What's earliest reference to it?

Listing date gives it as 1800 but don't think Younge was around there. I know Bramall had a file cutting works but not how far it extended or when it went.

The Sheaf House opened in 1816 and the sports Ground was in use by the 1870s. Mr Bramhall lived in the Whitehouse on Whitehouse Lane , which became Bramhall Lane, which eventually lost the "H" mainly because of the Sheffield way of dropping the letter "H"

Do you know who was first Landlord? What I read somewhere was Sheaf House was built by Joseph Bramhalls son but don't think he would be running pub but who knows. Lot of confusion in histories re White House and Sheaf House. Have Younge in Sheaf House in 1828.

Found they were playing Cricket at Sheaf House May 1876. That was after Bramall Lane stadium was built.

If you go back to the FORUMS on the home page and click on Sheffield Pubs & W.M.C., click on the list of pubs, then choose the letter "S" you will find who the first landlord was. I read that Mr Bramhall left his Whitehouse and moved into the Sheaf House as his private dwelling.

That would make sense as there is sale reported of White House cottages and modern House by Daniel Brammall. Maybe modern House was Sheaf House. Have record of cricket played in Sheaf House grounds till 1904. One history says Yorkshire Cricket Club sometimes played there and rumour has it that Sheffield Wednesday played their first match there? Anyone have any references to back up that rumour? I know they played at Bramall Lane Stadium and Olive Grove before moving out of this side of city but where did they play their first game?

The Sheffield United ground was leased from the Norfolk family in 1854 and the Sheffield United Cricket Club was born, it was the first sporting club to have “United” in its name, Sheffield United F.C. was formed, not only to keep the cricket players together during the winter close season, but to generate revenue.

Yes I know but I am looking at History of Sheaf House grounds. It would appear that Sheffield Wednesday played its first match in the Sheaf House grounds described as a practice match Oct 12th 1867.

Yes I know but I am looking at History of Sheaf House grounds. It would appear that Sheffield Wednesday played its first match in the Sheaf House grounds described as a practice match Oct 12th 1867.

Im finding it hard to find an in depth history of the grounds, I can only find snippets like the following:

Sheaf House (stadium)

magnify-clip.png
Modern day map of Sheffield showing the locations of the early home grounds of The Wednesday (north-south): Bramall Lane, Sheaf House, Highfield, Olive Grove and Myrtle Road.

Sheaf House is a former home ground of The Wednesday Football Club and was located near the centre of Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England. The club started to use the ground after leaving Myrtle Road in 1877 and it remained their main 'home' ground until 1880. At that point most home matches switched to Bramall Lane, however Wednesday continued to play some games at Sheaf House until Olive Grove was opened in 1887.

Sheaf House was less suitable for hosting football matches than Bramall Lane (which was situated very close to the ground) but it was apparently cheaper to rent.

The information I have found outside the newspaper archive are bitty and sometimes confused.

Summary seems that in the mid 18th century the Brammalls bought White House and cottages and started file cutting manufacturers. Sometime between 1800 and 1816 Daniel Brammall bought adjoining land and built Sheaf House and Gardens. Though obviously more than usual garden if you can fit a cricket match in or soccer match. In 1851 Daniel sold up the whole of Brammall estates including White House and Sheaf House. There is a meeting published in paper about meeting re Sheaf House Athletic grounds and improvements to access which implies it was under some kind of trust. What is unclear as to whether there were Brammalls living in Sheaf House up to the point of sale or whether Sheaf House was already rented as Sheaf House Hotel.

Among his rare works of an ideal kind were a head of Satan, a stone mezzo-relievo of Plenty, executed about 1816 for the entrance of Sheaf House (Mr. Daniel Brammall's), Sheffield, and afterwards removed to the library of Mr. F. Young of Eardcliffe, and 'Penelope looking for the bow of Ulysses,' at Woburn.

Francis Chantrey according to Harold Armitage was a frequent visitor to Sheaf House which was a place of artists poets and writers and was said to have fallen in love with Daniels Daughter Mary who was a poet. She did not return his affections. Chantrey left Sheffield in 1809 to set up permanent residence in London with his new wife so if Armitage is correct Sheaf House must have been in existence pre 1809 but the design for the entrance of Sheaf House would suggest the House was being built in 1816. So also suggests Armitage may have got 2 houses mixed up or story was untrue.

..so if Armitage is correct Sheaf House must have been in existence pre 1809 but the design for the entrance of Sheaf House would suggest the House was being built in 1816. So also suggests Armitage may have got 2 houses mixed up or story was untrue.

Sheaf House is shown on the 1808 William and Josiah Fairbanks map of Sheffield (see Pic Sheff maps) - published in 1808 so presumably mapped at least a year previously

If you compare the shape of the house in 1808 it appears a perfect square. On the 1853 ordnance survey it is a square but with two small extensions.

I seem to recall reading an article about the origins of Bramall Lane, which sort of runs like this.

The original Chesterfield to Sheffield turnpike road ran into Sheffield roughly along the alignment that is today London Road - Queen's Road and then along what is today, St. Mary's Road.

Early in the 19th Century, the Bramall Family, [i suspect the Daniel Bramall mentioned above], built a diversionary shortcut, which is today, Bramall Lane. I believe that it shortened the distance by a mile, or so.

The Sheaf House was established as a last stop hostelry to cater for the traffic entering Sheffield at that time. As to whether the present structure replaced an earlier building on the same site was not stated.

The article however, did also make mention of the fact that the fields which then adjoined Bramall Lane had long been used for local sporting activities and I seem to recall mention of the fact that some horse racing events were held there.

White House, is quite obviously from its structure the one that Daniel Bramall built and Chantry visited. He didn't live there long as he went bankrupt and died in Paris (not sure why he was there. It was bought by a Friend and Chantry sculptures removed. Some time later it became a Hostelry. There were quite a few cricket matches in the grounds over the years as well as athletics and the odd football match. Must have had very substantial grounds to allow for Horse racing.