Rabone Chesterman

RichardB

Anyone got any Rabone Chesterman stuff, I'd love pictures of rules/measures etc; saw one recently but wifelette couldn't get her head round buying a ruler, so we bought her some shoes - which was nice :angry:

Managed to locate this photo of a CHESTERMAN tape measure for you.

Excellent, like a leather discus ! Saw one of those a couple of years ago, wish I'd bought it ... Thanks for the picture, any ideas of age ?

I also remember the Rabone Chesterman Arch, behind the Pomona if memory serves, when did they pull that down, anyone know ?

Sorry Richard no age to the tape, if you ebay it's up for sale along with this wie and screw gauge.

The ruler is mine bought it in the pub about twenty years ago, cost me a pint.

My Dad is a retired plumber.

When I was a kid he always had, in his bag a Rabone and Chesterman two foot steel rule and a "leather discus" type tape.

He later went on to carry the newer blue plastic type which I think is still in the cupboard under the stairs in my Mams house.

When I went to the comprehensive school there was this "game" played where some people would stand on the toilet/changing room steps and others at the bottom would wack them with rules, if they tried to get off.

This was fine (allthough a little daft) as most kids had those shatter proof blue rules from Woolies but I had my Dads Rabone and could take legs clean off at the knee with that bad boy!!.

Oh what a delightful childhood I had...

Just thinking, some school kids still play those type of games in this era....

But with swords and daggers. <_<

Guest skeets

Sorry Richard no age to the tape, if you ebay it's up for sale along with this wie and screw gauge.

The ruler is mine bought it in the pub about twenty years ago, cost me a pint. lol

A link to the ebay page http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Chesterman-S...1QQcmdZViewItem

SteveHB This2/ft rule was given to me about 60yrs ago by an old retired signwriter along with some brushes and a hand rest its maker was Smallwood Maker just about visible, l would like to know if anyone has ever heard of this firm. Skeets

SteveHB This2/ft rule was given to me about 60yrs ago by an old retired signwriter along with some brushes and a hand rest its maker was Smallwood Maker just about visible, l would like to know if anyone has ever heard of this firm. Skeets

Struggling to see owt skeets,

do you own a scanner ?

flat items scan well.

Guest Gramps

I have a tape like that in the shed somewhere, case is a darker leather and fittings are brass, not sure it's a Chesterman though. It belonged to a shipwright many moons ago.

Guest Falls

A few things.

First, I remember it was quite a shock when Rabone took over Chesterman. Rabone's products didn't have nearly the same quality as Chesterman's. I never did know how this worked out.

When I started my apprenticeship, family members bought me different tools but the 6 inch and 12 inch rules were always Chesterman's. All now lost I'm afraid.

I avoided the Chesterman steel 2 ft folding rule that were very popular in workshops at that time. I remember some men would stir their tea with the 2ft rule. Then open it up until it was in a"V" and then wipe it backwards and forwards on the leg of their overalls. It didn't seem to register with them that the overalls were filthy.

And don't get me on the subject of what some people did with their mashing cans.

Regards

Guest Falls

Oh go on, we're all agog!

They didn't do it in their own mashing cans, it was usually somebody else's.

I know! This is thread drift, for which I am bound to be chastized but does anyone remember those oval two-compartment tins with a lid at each end.

You put your dry mash(s) of tea in one end and the sugar in the other. I suppose these and the mashing cans themselves, must have gone the way of the Do-Do.

Regards

Finally got around to buying a 33 foot tape measure; well used, twisted brass end rathar than the flat arrangement shown on the photo. Took long enough, now shewants more shoes ...

Guest ron8ken

Hi there,

I have an old (at least 100 years) John Rabone & Sons tape measure, see pic attached.

What I would really like to know is what is was used to measure. It is in units of 4 inches and has divisions of 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4.

It is 78 inches long and looks like it could have been cut off.

I thought maybe horses but I don't think there are horses that are nine feet tall at the withers. It was among my grandfathers belongings - he was in timber cutting and milling and lived in Scotland.

Any information would be gratefully received.

Regards,

Ron

Welcome to the Site Ron8ken.

What a strange system for measuring ! Are/were "boards" of some description cut into four inch strips, or multiples thereof ? A mystery.

Hi there,

I have an old (at least 100 years) John Rabone & Sons tape measure, see pic attached.

What I would really like to know is what is was used to measure. It is in units of 4 inches and has divisions of 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4.

It is 78 inches long and looks like it could have been cut off.

I thought maybe horses but I don't think there are horses that are nine feet tall at the withers. It was among my grandfathers belongings - he was in timber cutting and milling and lived in Scotland.

Any information would be gratefully received.

Regards,

Ron

Hi all,

I'm new to the site and am trying to research a Chesterman 100' steel and leather tape measure I bought today. It is the same as this:

http://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/surveying/object.cfm?recordnumber=761653

My guess at its age is late 1800s, possibly up to WW1.

Any information or suggestions gratefully received.

Regards,

Tim

Guest Circuitmage

Sorry if this is unrelated, but it looks like this may abit older than the Rabone company, and I'm very much interested in it's origin.

I inherited this J C caliper from my grandfather and it is in great shape. I've been using it in my engineering work for about 10 years.

As pictured; Chesterman Sheffield J C ENGLAND No600 HARD CHROME

Here are some pictures;

Any idea when this was made?

Sorry if this is unrelated, but it looks like this may abit older than the Rabone company, and I'm very much interested in it's origin.

I inherited this J C caliper from my grandfather and it is in great shape. I've been using it in my engineering work for about 10 years.

As pictured; Chesterman Sheffield J C ENGLAND No600 HARD CHROME

Here are some pictures;

Any idea when this was made?

Welcome to the site Circuitmage, more Chesterman related topics here ...

hi all my late grandad worked for rabone and chesterman i have a few belongings of his ,one been a plate with the dates 1784-1984 ,think he got this when he retired also have a queens silver jubilee 1977 tape measure and a few more bits will try and add photo's later x

hi all my late grandad worked for rabone and chesterman i have a few belongings of his ,one been a plate with the dates 1784-1984 ,think he got this when he retired also have a queens silver jubilee 1977 tape measure and a few more bits will try and add photo's later x

Hi fisher, and welcome to the site, we look forward to seeing those items.