This Heat Has Me Defeated.

RichardB

I wouldn't disagree Dude, except on the specific point of a link between WSG and the state of the roads. The decision to virtually abandon road maintenance was one of a package of emergency measures decided by the Council when it finally realised no external funding for the games was forthcoming. Their hope was it would only be for a short time until a Labour government bailed them out, but that never happened.

One reason the Games got little press coverage was a result of the decision by the Council to save money by not providing free hospitality for the press, as was the usual custom at these events. As a result the press stayed away in droves.

While I agree it's wrong to blame the WSG for all the city's woes, when many have resulted from obstinacy by the Labour Council at the time, the resulting repayments, rolled forward several times now, add up to a lot of services lost in terms of quantity and qualiity, so people can't really be blamed for thinking the games responsible.

The breeze yesterday made it more bearable, our garden is pretty exposed and we've a slight breeze coming and going at the moment, but not enough to help!

You can't blame road maintenances issues on the Student Games. What's happening is due to the MASSIVE increase in cars in Sheffield. Because cars are highly destructive to the environment the more that people have them the bigger problem they will be. Making roads uses loads of materials, which are costing more. Repairing them even more money. Since public transport is either unable to cope or is expensive to use compered with the private car and since the loss of cheap fares, going to less places than it was before, cars have grown in numbers. Roads built to last a certain number of years for a set amount of traffic are now having 3 or 4 times the figure running on them. So ware and tear costs go up. The wetter and colder our winters are increases pot holes no end. Then add Governments that have favoured the motor car lobby, so measures that make motorists pay for the damage a car costs to run, get side lined.

I also think there has been something that has put road repairs issues to the back of Sheffield Council's "to do list". For as soon as you leave Sheffield and enter Derbyshire the roads somehow become much smoother to travel on!

As Bayleaf has already added, you can link WSG to the lack of Road Maintenance (No one stated all sheffields woes) BUT, your point about increase in road use doesn't stack up. Drive across the Sheffield border in any direction and the roads are far better - a point you even make yourself - so why is increase car use only a problem for road surfaces in Sheffield?

I've spent many times driving around Cumbria, where there is a very high HGV and 4x4 use yet the roads are far better. Even driving all the way home, the minute you cross the Sheffield border and you think something is wrong with the suspension!

I'm slightly worried about the proposed major repairs that are taking place now as well. Not sure we have any contractors with the necessary skills to do it properly anymore. Take for example Woodclife to the south of the Porter Valley, it was closed a for a few days a couple of years ago so that it could be completely resurfaced - i.e. a proper job, not the usual pot hole filling. It was the best road in Sheffield but it was only a few months before the pot holes returned. Try driving it today, and it's worse than it was before the repairs?

As Bayleaf has already added, you can link WSG to the lack of Road Maintenance (No one stated all sheffields woes) BUT, your point about increase in road use doesn't stack up. Drive across the Sheffield border in any direction and the roads are far better - a point you even make yourself - so why is increase car use only a problem for road surfaces in Sheffield?

I've spent many times driving around Cumbria, where there is a very high HGV and 4x4 use yet the roads are far better. Even driving all the way home, the minute you cross the Sheffield border and you think something is wrong with the suspension!

I'm slightly worried about the proposed major repairs that are taking place now as well. Not sure we have any contractors with the necessary skills to do it properly anymore. Take for example Woodclife to the south of the Porter Valley, it was closed a for a few days a couple of years ago so that it could be completely resurfaced - i.e. a proper job, not the usual pot hole filling. It was the best road in Sheffield but it was only a few months before the pot holes returned. Try driving it today, and it's worse than it was before the repairs?

"Woodclife" whereabouts is that Mike ?

I have a barometer and on the back is a small screw that says “Altitude Adjustment”,

think I have set this to match the reading displayed on the Sheffield live weather page,

have I set it correctly ?

Whilst road surfaces are maintained well in more rural areas, big City areas have more wear and tear on them, especially around junctions and side streets. They also have more underground services being dug up in them all of these add to cost of road repairs. They have more coverage of salt, a highly corrosive material to the road surface, than rural roads. In fact most cars do not do a great deal of distance traveling. So traffic flows are lighter on roads leading into Sheffield, than say on City Road or Prince of Wales Road. Many rural areas are conservative and don't spend much money on schools and other social operations. They don't support public transport and therefore have more cash to spend on road works.

Do the weather stations take the temperature in the shade or free standing in sunlight? Because whenever I have taken the temperature it's always been higher than the one reported for Sheffield for the day. In fact it's been more like the ones reported for London!

As you can see the other day it was the London temp (89) in Gleadless Valley!

I reckon it would be even higher if I took my thermometer down south!

Actually I have taken to just reading the London temp as the one you can expect for Sheffield. Unless it's not a clear day here!

Do the weather stations take the temperature in the shade or free standing in sunlight? Because whenever I have taken the temperature it's always been higher than the one reported for Sheffield for the day. In fact it's been more like the ones reported for London!

As you can see the other day it was the London temp (89) in Gleadless Valley!

I reckon it would be even higher if I took my thermometer down south!

Actually I have taken to just reading the London temp as the one you can expect for Sheffield. Unless it's not a clear day here!

Just placed my mickeymouse thermometer in my back porch, out of direct sunlight,

and it reads 27C, that’s more or less same as what was shown on here, at the time of posting

I have a barometer and on the back is a small screw that says “Altitude Adjustment”,

think I have set this to match the reading displayed on the Sheffield live weather page,

attachicon.gifbarometer.jpg

attachicon.gifbar 002.jpg

I don't know what ours is set at other than opening it up but Paul Hudson usually gives a reading now and again.

89F today on our backyard!

Make that 31.7 deg. C for those wanting a comparison with Steve's metric figures

attachicon.gifbarometer.jpg

Altitude depends on where you live.

Air pressure decreases with height above sea level so a barometer can also be used as an altimeter.

The adjustment you describe is to correct the air pressure readings for your height (altitude) above sea level.

The best way to do this, in the absence of an altimeter corrected to sea level = 0, is to find your current location on a contour map of the region and estimate your height from between the 2 contours that straddle you. If you are lucky you may lie on or very close to one of the marked contours on the map.

Altitude is likely to be calibrated in feet or metres,

Altitude depends on where you live.

Air pressure decreases with height above sea level so a barometer can also be used as an altimeter.

The adjustment you describe is to correct the air pressure readings for your height (altitude) above sea level.

The best way to do this, in the absence of an altimeter corrected to sea level = 0, is to find your current location on a contour map of the region and estimate your height from between the 2 contours that straddle you. If you are lucky you may lie on or very close to one of the marked contours on the map.

Altitude is likely to be calibrated in feet or metres,

There is a benchmark very close to where I live ('BM 445.40' on the map}, would that be a good guide ?

There is a benchmark very close to where I live ('BM 445.40' on the map}, would that be a good guide ?

OS map #19_crop.jpg

Yes, if the bench mark is a height above sea level and you are not on a steep hill from it where height changes quickly it will be an excellent guide.

Given that town is about 200 ft above sea level, and the top of East Bank hill about 800 ft the figure given is likely to be in feet, given.it is half way up the hill. If your barometer is in metres you will need to convert it first.

Yes, if the bench mark is a height above sea level and you are not on a steep hill from it where height changes quickly it will be an excellent guide.

Given that town is about 200 ft above sea level, and the top of East Bank hill about 800 ft the figure given is likely to be in feet, given.it is half way up the hill. If your barometer is in metres you will need to convert it first.

Thanks Dave, that's where I'm confused, what do I need to be looking at on the face ?

Whilst road surfaces are maintained well in more rural areas, big City areas have more wear and tear on them, especially around junctions and side streets. They also have more underground services being dug up in them all of these add to cost of road repairs. They have more coverage of salt, a highly corrosive material to the road surface, than rural roads. In fact most cars do not do a great deal of distance traveling. So traffic flows are lighter on roads leading into Sheffield, than say on City Road or Prince of Wales Road. Many rural areas are conservative and don't spend much money on schools and other social operations. They don't support public transport and therefore have more cash to spend on road works.

You've obviously never seen the convoys of lorries from the quarries in Derbyshire coming in past Fox House, good road surfaces until you hit the Sheffield boundary. Or the heavy lorries that have caused the problems on Bocking lane/Abbe lane? or the numerous other routes into Sheffield, invariably good until you reach the boundary. Or the queues of commuter traffic coming in through Meadowhead.

I had a boss who commuted from Buxton every day and never had a problem with snow and ice till she reached the boundary. My wife had a boss who drove in from Foolow every day and never failed to arrive at work early because the roads were good until she reached the Sheffield boundary. No matter which direction you come into Sheffield, roads are invariably better until you reach the Sheffield boundary. Your analysis of traffic is as illogical as your comments on expenditure in rural areas. None of which is relavant to this topic.

Try this link Steve

Enter your postcode, then any other post code, in order to complete fictitious route. This then gives your varying altitude from start point to end point.

Your analysis of traffic is as illogical as your comments on expenditure in rural areas. None of which is relavant to this topic.

Since this topic is about the hot weather talking about roads is also not relevant. Too continue then if we must with more of this nonsense....

Rural areas are often held by the Tory party. When have you known them to spend money on public services. Since as you describe your boss(s) drove into Sheffield, they often did so to escape paying the very high Sheffield rates if they lived here. Chances are they voted Tory too in those rural areas they lived.

According to Department of Transport statistics most cars are used to transport people only short distances. In fact most cars spend most of the time parked up somewhere, a fact that many road workers will appreciate when they are trying to fill the pot holes up! Trying to find the owners to shift the cars parked on top of the hole.

A whole series of right wing governments have insured that traffic and freight have been placed on roads not designed to take them, particular when the merge together, encouraging out of town developments and shopping centres. Yet at the same time reducing expenditure on road construction and maintenance. Since Council's are local, they don't tend to work with each other on issues such as highways. This is where the South Yorkshire County Council came in, but of course that has been scrapped. Don't forget the Highway's Agency might also be responsible for the good and bad state of some roads.

Personal I don't care too much about cars and their drivers as they are something we could all do without. And if you take a look at my blog you will see how that can be done.

http://therealchart.blogspot.co.uk/p/way-to-live.html

So, History Dude - why are Manchesters Roads so much better than Sheffields? And I'm not sure where your argument about the voting behaviour of certain wards has any relevance as roads all over Sheffield are just as bad.

Steve, Woodcliffe is the extension of Quiet Lane towards Ringinglow. Drove it last night and it now has the standard load of tarmac patted down into each hole! back to what it was like two years ago.

Thanks Dave, that's where I'm confused, what do I need to be looking at on the face ?

Steve,

Now is a good time to adjust this. Don't worry about height - what you need is the current air pressure which given we are in a High Pressure is likely to be the same wherever you are. Sometimes that Mr Hudson gives it out in Millibars so use the adjustment scew on the back until the dial is in line with the inner Milibars scale. (Met Check is saying we are currently 1024mb)

Steve,

Now is a good time to adjust this. Don't worry about height - what you need is the current air pressure which given we are in a High Pressure is likely to be the same wherever you are. Sometimes that Mr Hudson gives it out in Millibars so use the adjustment scew on the back until the dial is in line with the inner Milibars scale. (Met Check is saying we are currently 1024mb)

Thanks Mike, will do.