This Heat Has Me Defeated.

RichardB

Guest Barbara M

Why can't the weather be normal for the time of year......it's either too hot, too wet or too cold. Where have all the old summers gone ....?

Do you think it's since we started useing the centigrade system, or is it global warming ..... :unsure:

Why can't the weather be normal for the time of year......it's either too hot, too wet or too cold. Where have all the old summers gone ....?

Do you think it's since we started useing the centigrade system, or is it global warming ..... :unsure:

Scientists view, -

As I have always used the centigrade system (more correctly, the Celcius system) it can't be that, so it must be global warming.

Scientists view, -

As I have always used the centigrade system (more correctly, the Celcius system) it can't be that, so it must be global warming.

If it is global warming why was last winter cold

I blame the introduction of the decimal system on 15th February 1971, supporting evidence the Summer of '76, if that had been in pounds, shillings and pence it would have been cooler, it was the inflation you see ... probably.

Guest Barbara M

I blame the introduction of the decimal system on 15th February 1971, supporting evidence the Summer of '76, if that had been in pounds, shillings and pence it would have been cooler, it was the inflation you see ... probably.

Here, here .........!

I've never been the same since they did away officially with Avoirdupois although it's not stopped me from asking for six ounce of boiled ham at the weekend and getting the quantity I require. Even the newsagents manage to sell me half a pound of Dixon's Mint Rock each week. Perhaps I shouldn't be saying this on an open forum, the Europolitzai may be after me.

I'm another one who hates this weather, if I wear a cap my head starts to boil, and if I don't the mop of black hair I'm still blessed (cursed ?) with seems to have a very high solar radiation absorbtion factor.

When I'm carving up the highways and byways of Upper Hallam on my trusty steed I wear a daft looking light coloured cut-away golfing cap.

I don't think weather like this is anything new, I remember a lot of sweltering 1950's summers when the tar used to be running in rivers down the streets. It made a right mess of your shoes and your mother's carpets.

I'm looking for any excuse to drive in the car with the AC set to low.

HD

If it is global warming why was last winter cold

Well, because it was winter obviously.

We now have Narnia winters in England due to economic recession, its always snowing but its never Christmas.

When it turns cold again we will all be grumbling again so make the most of it.

This is how we had proper summers years ago and the pitch/tar melted on the roads as HD said, we

used to get lollypop sticks and mix it up and wipe it all over the place. Shame on us but we didn't have toys.

I keep unplugging the fan and carrying it around with me to each room I happen to be in.

Defeated, nah ! Heat rash still impressive, applying slop, not making much headway.

Sooo, tomorrow is going to fearsome temperature so they say - time to break out the big hat, the cotton lined woollen jacket, the cotton lined, wool breeches the wool socks, the big boots and get on lugging a 480 pound cannon round - Skelton, near York, 9 am start and then it'll just get 'otter and 'otter.

It's global warming even in the winter!

You have to remember that here in the UK we are kept very much warmer in the winter then what we should be. This is thanks to the Gulf Stream. But that is being effected by global warming moving it away from us. If we did not have the gulf stream though you wouldn't know the difference much in the summer months, the winter would be near impossible for most of us to live in.

To show you what it would be like. All you need to do is go on Google Maps satellite view and find Sheffield. Put your cursor on it then just keep scrolling left at the same position as Sheffield till you hit Canada. Whereas our part of Yorkshire is heavily populated, when you hit Canada it's a different story for many hundreds of miles. I've just done it and the first place a came upon was Labrador City!

This is what Wikipedia has to say about it's climate:

Labrador City features a harsh subarctic climate, with heavy year-round precipitation due to the strong Icelandic Low to the east driving cold, moist and unstable air onto the region. Snowfall, as is typical for the province, is very heavy for seven months each year and depth can reach as high as 218 centimetres (85.83 in).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labrador_City

I doubt we cope in Sheffield with minus 23 below in December average temp!

But that's what would happen without the Gulf Stream!

It's global warming even in the winter!

You have to remember that here in the UK we are kept very much warmer in the winter then what we should be. This is thanks to the Gulf Stream. But that is being effected by global warming moving it away from us. If we did not have the gulf stream though you wouldn't know the difference much in the summer months, the winter would be near impossible for most of us to live in.

To show you what it would be like. All you need to do is go on Google Maps satellite view and find Sheffield. Put your cursor on it then just keep scrolling left at the same position as Sheffield till you hit Canada. Whereas our part of Yorkshire is heavily populated, when you hit Canada it's a different story for many hundreds of miles. I've just done it and the first place a came upon was Labrador City!

This is what Wikipedia has to say about it's climate:

Labrador City features a harsh subarctic climate, with heavy year-round precipitation due to the strong Icelandic Low to the east driving cold, moist and unstable air onto the region. Snowfall, as is typical for the province, is very heavy for seven months each year and depth can reach as high as 218 centimetres (85.83 in).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labrador_City

I doubt we cope in Sheffield with minus 23 below in December average temp!

But that's what would happen without the Gulf Stream!

Try going East along the same Sheffield latitude instead of West. You finish up in Siberia in central Asia, - equally as cold.

Its the difference between a Continental climate and a Maritime climate.

Although the gulf stream is the real reason, as History Dude says, why we are warmer than we should be in winter we also get the lag and lead effect from the sea.

Land warms up and cools down quickly so is badly affected by changes in temperature caused by spread of sunlight throughout the seasons.

Water takes ages to warm up and then ages to cool down again, - that's why in summer at the seaside (in Britain) the sea is always cold, - it does not warm up as quickly as the land. In the winter the water, warmed by a long hot summer, is now warmer than the land and so keeps us a bit warmer than we should be, - so even without the gulf stream we should get some benefit just from being an island surrounded by water.

Due to this effect our temperature range, from hottest to coldest over the year, is nowhere near as extreme as other places which are fairly central within a large continental land mass.

Guest Barbara M

Try going East along the same Sheffield latitude instead of West. You finish up in Siberia in central Asia, - equally as cold.

Its the difference between a Continental climate and a Maritime climate.

Although the gulf stream is the real reason, as History Dude says, why we are warmer than we should be in winter we also get the lag and lead effect from the sea.

Land warms up and cools down quickly so is badly affected by changes in temperature caused by spread of sunlight throughout the seasons.

Water takes ages to warm up and then ages to cool down again, - that's why in summer at the seaside (in Britain) the sea is always cold, - it does not warm up as quickly as the land. In the winter the water, warmed by a long hot summer, is now warmer than the land and so keeps us a bit warmer than we should be, - so even without the gulf stream we should get some benefit just from being an island surrounded by water.

Due to this effect our temperature range, from hottest to coldest over the year, is nowhere near as extreme as other places which are fairly central within a large continental land mass.

I think this is why, when we were at school, we were told that Britain had a " Temperate Climate "

I think the only reason Tar doesn't melt any more is because it has all melted away already - our council never replacing it with decent surfaces. So we can blame it on the World Student Games!

You can't blame road maintenances issues on the Student Games. What's happening is due to the MASSIVE increase in cars in Sheffield. Because cars are highly destructive to the environment the more that people have them the bigger problem they will be. Making roads uses loads of materials, which are costing more. Repairing them even more money. Since public transport is either unable to cope or is expensive to use compered with the private car and since the loss of cheap fares, going to less places than it was before, cars have grown in numbers. Roads built to last a certain number of years for a set amount of traffic are now having 3 or 4 times the figure running on them. So ware and tear costs go up. The wetter and colder our winters are increases pot holes no end. Then add Governments that have favoured the motor car lobby, so measures that make motorists pay for the damage a car costs to run, get side lined.

I also think there has been something that has put road repairs issues to the back of Sheffield Council's "to do list". For as soon as you leave Sheffield and enter Derbyshire the roads somehow become much smoother to travel on!

Richard - just be thankful it isn't your day job!

I'm melting here in Sheffield ............

Lyn

Not surprised our backyard thermometer hit 31C! this morning and it's very accurate!

I think this is why, when we were at school, we were told that Britain had a " Temperate Climate "

Exactly right, temperate implies a narrow temperature range, not extremes. Maritime means it is governed by the sea and it is the sea that moderates our climate.

Not surprised our backyard thermometer hit 31C! this morning and it's very accurate!

27C in my kitchen at the moment

Cookers just going on, I'm having a pie.

What sort of pie is it?

Not an apple pie made in Mr Tweedy's chicken pie machine from the film Chicken Run?

I don't want to be a pie, I don't like gravy.

You can't blame road maintenances issues on the Student Games. What's happening is due to the massive increase in cars in Sheffield. Because cars are highly destructive to the environment the more that people have them the bigger problem they will be. Making roads uses loads of materials, which are costing more. Repairing them even more money. Since public transport is either unable to cope or is expensive to use compered with the private car and since the loss of cheap fares, going to less places than it was before, cars have grown in numbers. Roads built to last a certain number of years for a set amount of traffic are now having 3 or 4 times the figure running on them. So ware and tear costs go up. The wetter and colder our winters are increases pot holes no end. Then add Governments that have favoured the motor car lobby, so measures that make motorists pay for the damage a car costs to run, get side lined.

I also think there has been something that has put road repairs issues to the back of Sheffield Council's "to do list". For as soon as you leave Sheffield and enter Derbyshire the roads somehow become much smoother to travel on!

Sorry, but the state of our roads is a direct result of the WSG. The Council gambled on Mrs T stumping up some cash for the games. She gave them her blessing but not a penny.

They then had to find the cash, and a conscious decision was made to reduce budgets until such time that labour won the next election, at which time funding would certainly be forthcoming. Unfortunately Labour lost the next election so budgets had to be tightened even more.

When Labour, Sorry, 'New' Labour eventually got elected they funded the Commonwealth games facilities in Manchester and said 'Tough' to Sheffield.

The Council in tightening budgets protected Education and Social Services, and hit the other departments the harder. At the bottom of the pile was Recreation, including by that time Libraries, and the roads maintenance budget, which fared worst of all, virtually disappearing.

When the Lib Dems took over the Council Libraries and parks slowly began to recover, and had just about got on an even keel when the present cuts came along. Roads maintenance was left out because the present deal was several years in the making and precluded any expenditure in the meantime.

Sheffield Council's budget was capped by the Tory Party long before the WSG. Sheffield Council stated many times in the budget reports that Sheffield was at the back end of the money deployment by the UK Government. The Council often reported that for the population size of Sheffield others got a greater share than Sheffield. Sheffield also had to take in the former road projects of the late South Yorkshire body, plus the recession had seen the loss of major rate paying firms. The WSG was a gamble in the hope that the TV coverage would boost Sheffield's reputation and raise it's profile. It didn't of course work. Perhaps because the sports channels were owned by Sky who's boss of course was Rupert Murdoch. And we all know what he thought of "RED" Sheffield.

Though I don't doubt for a minute that the WSG was a big strain on the budget of Sheffield Council, to blame it for everything that is wrong with the City is silly, as most Sheffield's do. For it's simply the case that a once powerful steel industry died and that "Right Wing Governments" wanted to punish the Council for being left wing. It also had to deal with the population becoming more students than adults, and those adults left old and in greater need of care services. Whilst dealing with high unemployment and work changing to "service" industries rather than manufacturing. Plus coping with the social and economic consequences of raising the school leaving age to 16.