Mines In Mosborough

miamivice

New to forum but trying to piece together the locations of mines in Mosborough and Moorhole. I would be interested if anyone could tell me where pits/shafts were and if anything is still there? I have found one up at Moorhole, it has the coal authorities fencing round it as they have re - covered the old cap.

I have read that topic so I know where the one at Moorside Mining was it was the others that I was looking for evidence of their existence today. From looking at the pictures and the maps it looks like there is a house built bang over the top of the adit, unless I've looked at it wrong. Behind is a pile of coal slag that looks like the only remnant of the mine.

The "bible" for all things Mosborough in the 19th Century is George Foster's " Reminiscences of Mosborough" published in 1886.

From my copy the following are extracted:

1800-1825...After the death of Samuel Staniforth there were no coal pits in Mosbro for several years. Coal was fetched from Birley Moor by panniers across donkeys backs.

George Wells worked a pit on James French's land behind Billy Herrings house.

!825-1850.. By now many pits were being worked and the number of colliers now equalled the number of scythesmiths..

Messrs Sales and Bibbs began working a pit at the topside of Moor-hole which was worked by steam power.

Mr Wells began working a Gin pit on Little Hill plus two more near Bridle Road. There were coke ovens there.

In 1841 Richard Swallow sank Silkstone Main near Hanging Lea Wood.

William Hodgson and Luke Worrall worked a pit in a field near Halfway House.

A pit was sunk on Plumbley Lane.

1850 -1886 A pit was working at Holbrook.

Incidentally, Moorside Mining moved after its reserves were exhausted( and the land sold for redevelopment. They re-established themselves at Eckington on a greenfield site near Atco Corner and are. apparently, still operational.

The above has probably added to the confusion. Mosborough and Eckington during the nineteenth century really should be viewed as an entity...Mosborough being a part of Eckington Parish.