Grenoside Workhouse

Guest sal1974

Guest sal1974

I have just found out that my 2nd great grandmother Elizabeth Beatrice Alice renshaw was born in grenoside workhouse in 1876. I have her listed on the 1881 census living on rock st described as a visitor age 4 and the 1891 census says stepdaughter. Anyone got any ideas on how to fill in the gaps as to what happened between her birth and 1891?

Sheffield Indexers have some school records but don't know if they cover Grenoside. Try Sheffield Archives catalogue to see if they have school records there if not.

Guest sal1974

Thanks can't find any school admissions for elizabeth, I was wondering if she could possibly have been fostered out after being born in the workhouse. Would I need to go to Sheffield archives or local studies to find out more. I'm sorry I know very little about either :-/

Thanks neddy! I would never have found this marriage. On the census they were transcribed as Tom and Ellis siddington. I presume now that Ellis is Alice her mother and siddington is really Loddington. So she must have come back for her :-)

From Sheffield Indexers:

LODDINGTON, Tom (Labourer, age 62).
Died at 15 Chapel St; Buried on April 18, 1916 in General ground;
Grave Number 103, Section Y of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: Officiating Minister C G Holt, Removed from Attercliffe Parish.

RENSHAW, Elizabeth Beatrice Alice (Spinster, age 24, , residing at 53 Lunbrick Rd).
Married John Charles MITCHELL, on April 8, 1901, by H.A.Goodwin (Banns) at
St John the Baptist Church, Owlerton. Father's name is Not Known ().
Married in the presence of Joseph Broadhurst Turner, Lilian Turner.

MITCHELL, John Charles (Bachelor, age 35, Poultry Dresser, residing at 53 Lunbrick Rd).
Married Elizabeth Beatrice Alice RENSHAW, on April 8, 1901, by H.A.Goodwin (Banns) at
St John the Baptist Church, Owlerton. Father's name is Henry Mitchell (Gentleman).
Married in the presence of Joseph Broadhurst Turner, Lilian Turner.

And 1901 Census for John and Elizabeth:

and in 1911:

Guest sal1974

Thanks Edmund. I've been to local studies today but its archives I need and they're closed today. So will try another day

Grenoside Archives have all the film readers etc, all census years and much more.

They open Tuesdays and Fridays 2453124. Well worth a visit especially for local stuff.

Guest sal1974

Thanks that sounds perfect! On the birth certificate it says born at grenoside workhouse in 1876 but on the net it says it wasn't built until 1881! Puzzle upon puzzle this one lol