Occupations

Guest sal1974

Guest sal1974

Hi all, Was just wondering if anybody knows how you find out where people actually worked. As in the census shows occupation for example: file grinder, cutler etc. Is there a way to find out what firm they worked for?

I don't know of one in particular but remember that many grinders and cutlers were effectively self employed. Occasionally the 1911 census has turned up the name of where somebody works and also WW1 service records can show where our Sheffield ancestors worked. I don't really know about any records of steel/cutlery companies that the archives/local studies might have. Any more details you could provide maybe something could be worked out? I've often wondered if where somebody lives can be a hint. For example, I have family that lived out Wincobank way and worked at Crowley & Co's Meadowhall Ironworks or people who lived down near the London Road wheel.

Quick answer is there isn't a way I knowto find where a person worked. However, if a person fought in the war, many companies & churches have Rolls of Honour some of which are available on the net. There is a thread on here at http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/10132-sheffields-great-war-rolls-of-honour/ you can see . Put your relatives name in & see if he shows up in that. That may show where they worked.

Guest sal1974

Thank you both for your replies. And cheers for the link! I will see what I can find x