Esquire

Guest manofvalue

Guest manofvalue

how many on this forum went to the esquire. with living on the parkhill i only had to walk across rail bridge and was there

i went from 64 upto it shutting seen many artist there but even went just for the records played in the week with dj barry cambell spining the discs

Remember it well, lived in the area, used to stand outside watching the people go in and out, I was only 10 years old.

Esquire, great place to be in early 60s. Helped Terry Thornton set club up, membership taken out Aug. 1963, membership card signed by Dave Berry attached. moved down south end of 63 so missed most of big acts, but was constantly told of events by friends in Sheffield

Went there loads in early 60s.

Lived in Totley so it was Pond St for last bus or a long walk home.

Saw some great bands.

Just so many who went on to be legends of that era. Lots of local bands too including Dave Berry and Vance Arnold

Was there the night the Walker Bros got dragged off stage and had barely played a single number.

Our favourites were Jimmy Powell and the 5 Dimensions. Never understood why they didn’t make it big.

Great times.

On 20/02/2018 at 13:54, paulhib48 said:

Went there loads in early 60s.

Lived in Totley so it was Pond St for last bus or a long walk home.

Saw some great bands.

Just so many who went on to be legends of that era. Lots of local bands too including Dave Berry and Vance Arnold

Was there the night the Walker Bros got dragged off stage and had barely played a single number.

Our favourites were Jimmy Powell and the 5 Dimensions. Never understood why they didn’t make it big.

Great times.

Great club, brilliant atmosphere as it was on 2 levels, remember looking down on the stage from balcony above and watching top acts of the day such as John Mayall, Spencer Davis ( Steve Winwood), Joe Cocker ( Vance Arnold + Avengers ) and others like Dave Berry, Alan Price etc. Top blues club when I went.

lived at Bradway and traveled from there to Pond St bus station not far away from Leadmill Road, a lady called Nora was always in the bus station shouting, I think she used to sleep there.

17 hours ago, Rich47 said:

Great club, brilliant atmosphere as it was on 2 levels, remember looking down on the stage from balcony above and watching top acts of the day such as John Mayall, Spencer Davis ( Steve Winwood), Joe Cocker ( Vance Arnold + Avengers ) and others like Dave Berry, Alan Price etc. Top blues club when I went.

lived at Bradway and traveled from there to Pond St bus station not far away from Leadmill Road, a lady called Nora was always in the bus station shouting, I think she used to sleep there.

Great times indeed Rich47, I remember the night of the Police raid when they kept us all locked in and you couldn't leave until they had taken your name and address and checked it out with a Kelly's directory, didn't get home until 3am, walked all the way home to Greenhill!

When I first started going to the Esquire it was a Jazz Club at the weekend and a Pop Club during the week or vice versa, also went to Club 60 the other Night Club owned by Terry Thornton located in the cellar of a building somewhere along Shalesmoor.

Magic memories of this atmospheric place, went there every opportunity. Was in my first job and just able to afford it. Saw many great solo artists and bands ,Memphis Slim, Kinks, Graham Bond, Alan Price, Dave Berry, Frankenstine and the Monsters, etc,etc so many I forget , would love to see a full guest list.  What a time for great music and freedom. Used to shoot off to the Globe or Cossack during the interval. Sometimes missed last bus home to Totley , due to calling at a Chippy, Golden Dragon or Zing Vaa. Not to bad a walk if the weather was kind. Was there the evening when we heard of the Kennedy shooting and thinking what happens now..

Would love to hear any memories of this time.

Was there the night it was raided for drugs, had to give the cops your name and address, as you went down the stairs more cops checked it with a Kelly's Dictionary, if you didn't know your neighbours  name, off to West Bar you went. 

West bar cop shop was full that night. 

31 minutes ago, rongrant2000@msn.com said:

Was there the night it was raided for drugs, had to give the cops your name and address, as you went down the stairs more cops checked it with a Kelly's Dictionary, if you didn't know your neighbours  name, off to West Bar you went. 

West bar cop shop was full that night. 

That's crazy!! What a night that must have been...

11 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

Any photos of the place?

Photos, YouTube videos and more recollections on another post....

• Thanks 1

I was there with my mates on the night of the Police raid, there was no mention of drugs (to be honest i never saw any drug use in the Esquire, maybe a few guys who had one too many beers). they asked if i was a member, checked my address in a Kelly's, asked who lived next door, then said get yourself home.  Didn't see anyone arrested.