Build Your Own Stonehenge, Ikea Style

Bayleaf

If IKEA had supplied Stonehenge as a "flatpack" kit, -

1 ) it would have arrived with certain vital parts missing

2 ) it would not have lasted as long as the present Stonehenge has without falling apart

3 ) IKEA themselves would have long since told you that it was "out of date" and "no longer fashionable" so that they could sell you "something a little more modern"

The real Stonehenge was built with some very precise astronomically times alignments ( hence the summer solstice festivals, coming up later this very week ).

I wonder if the IKEA Stonehenge is as accurately aligned with the sky and such a good calendar as the real Stonehenge?

No!

I thought not

So perhaps not everything that is fashionable, new and modern is as good as an ancient masterpiece, which they no doubt would want you to chuck in the bin and replace with their latest "modern" design.

I thought the nicest touch was the very last line of the small print, "May contain quartz"

What type of rock is the real Stonehenge built of?

Does the real Stonehenge actually contain quartz?

Probably the chemist in me coming forward again, but it provoked these thoughts.

The IKEA Stonehenge by the way should say "may contain MDF"

Worth the effort then. The guys that helped me didn't quite understand what we were up to.

Legless, enormous English Civil War re-enactor visit Storehenge ... probably.

Worth the effort then. The guys that helped me didn't quite understand what we were up to.

Legless, enormous English Civil War re-enactor visit Storehenge ... probably.

Well worth the effort Richard, a nice home made Stonehenge. I hope you aligned it properly with the stars for yesterdays solstice.