Philadelphia School

ukelele lady

Could one of them be a Leslie Ord who, upon arriving as a "***" at Firth Park Grammar School, told his classmates he was from Philadelphia... What a shock when he explained he wasn't a "Yank" but from a part of Sheffield none of us had ever heard of!

Guest binsted71

Could one of them be a Leslie Ord who, upon arriving as a "***" at Firth Park Grammar School, told his classmates he was from Philadelphia... What a shock when he explained he wasn't a "Yank" but from a part of Sheffield none of us had ever heard of!

Leslie Ord was in the same class that I was in at Philadelphia. The lads in the photograph were in the year below us.

Leslie Ord was in the same class that I was in at Philadelphia. The lads in the photograph were in the year below us.

Hi binstead

I think the lads in this photograph were a year above you or maybe more, here's a few of the names but

my brother can't remember all of them.

Top Row, left to right

Brian Tansley[deceased] Leslie Cornthwaite. Graham Laycock. Eric Booth [deceased ]. Raymond McGrath. Raymond Rushton

Middle Row. left to right

Grahaham Burrows Ernest Finch. John Mitchell Keith Collins. Trevor Ryalls. Roger Dale

Bottom Row, left to right

Robert Pitts Brian Purcival Peter Bater , John Fairbanks, Raymond Adams [deceased] Garry Donno

Any advance on that anyone?

Guest binsted71

Hi binstead

I think the lads in this photograph were a year above you or maybe more, here's a few of the names but

Top Row, left to right

? Leslie Cornthwaite. Graham Laycock. Eric Booth. Raymond McGrath. Raymond Rushton

? Ernest Finch. ? Keith Collins. Trevor Ryalls. Roger Dale

? Brian Purcival

Hi UKL,

You're right. I was thinking that the young lad, third from right, bottom row was one of the twins who lived on Woollen Street. If it is that family, who I think were called Smith, then that guy will be the older brother, Raymond??

Guest Beatrice Bassinder

I started in the nursery at this school in 1944 and moved through all the classes until I left in 1956 , our family name was ..Cundy and we lived in Watkin ST. I remember Blanchards and the co.op . how old was these children as one of my family [there was 8 of us] may know them .

I started in the nursery at this school in 1944 and moved through all the classes until I left in 1956 , our family name was ..Cundy and we lived in Watkin ST. I remember Blanchards and the co.op . how old was these children as one of my family [there was 8 of us] may know them .

I should image you know most of them, they will be aged about 73 now.

I believe your sister [ Janet ] was in the same class as me.

Guest Beatrice Bassinder

yes janet will be 66 now and she went to Chaucer school for her last few years .She moved to Taplin road Hillsbro with mum and dad..

Anyone recognize their selves on this photograph.

The girls and boys from Philadelphia.

Guest binsted71

Anyone recognize their selves on this photograph.

The girls and boys from Philadelphia.

Are these the names to go with this photo?

Top Row: Leslie Ord, Frank Wright, Roy Jenkinson, Michael Denton, Tony Bower, Malcolm Fellows.

Middle Row: Ann Smith, ? , Spencer Burkinshaw, Maureen Frith, Michael Harper, Malcolm Schofield.

Bottom Row: Marie Kempton, Veronica Justice, Judith Mi(e)ller, Valerie Young, Linda Bell, Joan Cornthwaite.

Wow you've got a good memory binstead but I was relying on you to fill in the names.

Middle row is definitely Ann Smith , yes you can go to the top of the class [ again] lol

I realise now with the question mark that you had a name missing, thought you were questioning

if it was Anne Smith.

The missing name is John Sheldon

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2013 at 15:45, ukelele lady said:

Hi binstead

Top Row, left to right

Brian Tansley[deceased] Leslie Cornthwaite. Graham Laycock. Eric Booth [deceased ]. Raymond McGrath. Raymond Rushton

Grahaham Burrows Ernest Finch. John Mitchell Keith Collins. Trevor Ryalls. Roger Dale

Robert Pitts Brian Purcival Peter Bater , John Fairbanks, Raymond Adams [deceased] Garry Donno

graham laycock deceased

A picture from my grandmother's photo album,  This was the first school she taught at as a certified teacher in 1932.  Her name was Miss Mary Bell

Philadelphia C School - 1932.jpeg

s24627.jpg.d151111109c862fae496b6889a2f6b93.jpgs24627

Philidelphia Centre, formerly Philadelphia County School, West Don Street (opened 1873) June 1990. 

Opened October 1973 by Sir John Brown. Re-organised as Mixed and Infant Schools 1949. Reorganised as Junior and Infant School 1963. See: City of Sheffield, Education Committee, Handbook of Information, 1964/65.

v03223.jpg.95dd996f6b529bf4e6037e2ce0518f14.jpgv03223

Philadelphia School, West Don Place, late 1970s, Kelvin flats in the background. 

Architects Drawing of Philadelphia County School, West Don Street. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s06478&pos=37&action=zoom&id=9842