Interesting Question

Bayleaf

There doesn't seem to have been a "Battle of Beulah Kop" that I can find and the house seems to pre-date the South African Wars. That is unless it took place since the house has been adapted for student accommodation :) .

There seems to have been a fashion for naming districts and houses after biblical references. Just up the hill towards Crookes was Mount Pisgah with Pisgah House, Pisgah (Hadfield) Dam.

Down at Owlerton there is a Beulah Road but that was renamed from Beverley Road when the land north of the River Loxley came into the city in the early 1900's to avoid duplication.

Perhaps the original owner wanted a biblical (Hebrew) name and added Kop because it stands on a hill overlooking the (then) town.

HD

Holy Thread revival!!!

Anyway, lol.

I drive passed here a few times a week. It is now fenced off. At some point, without me noticing until i saw a picture on the thread in the link above, it has acquired some awful rendering, thankfully they havent covered the houses name though.

Bit of an oddity this one.

"Beulah" is in South Africa...It is a tract of agricultural land near the Sterkfonteindam Nature Reserve. The word is a biblical one, used for Israel and was also used by John Bunyan in Pilgrim's Progress when he described the "Peaceful Land".

It is possible that some earlier owner had visited Beulah, liked the place with its Biblical connection, and named the house to remind him...a bit like several Sheffield works which were named after American cities with whom the owners had done excellent trade!