Lady's Folly Tankersley

Guest Lakin

Guest Lakin

I went a walk round tankesley golf course to find out were lady's folly used to be..

It was knocked down in 1960. There is a large stone were it once stood with words en scribed on it. Picture below.

The man who had Lady's folly built in 1760 was Prime Minister Twice.

The Hallamshire Rifles had a six day camp at Tankersley in 1873. As well as drills, parades, inspections ( and tea-drinking and card playing), they held a series of manoeuvres including an assault on the Lady's Folly:

Guest Lakin

Found another picture of it in an old pic. It was taken from jeffcock road high green.

Found another picture of it in an old pic. It was taken from jeffcock road high green.

Well spotted "Eagle eyes" !

:)

New member Marsinch

Your membership is awaiting validation. This should happen automatically when you follow an email link to verify your email address.

Check your in-box and also your spam box to see if you have missed it.

===========================

In the meantime this is the reply that Marsinch has tried to post.

Just wanted to say thank you for all this. having grown up with the top of Lady's Folly visible from our upstairs window - many years later I visited and wanted to show someone it and it seemed to have disappeared - now I know what happened. I have a question re the relationship if any between the Marquis and Earl Fitswilliam family.