New Member - Any Help If Possible

Ex-SF

Hi everyone just joined after discovering the site by accident. I used to live in Sheffield but moved over thirty years ago.

Hoping to visit the Family History Fair on Saturday at the Wednesday football ground to go the Sheffield FHS stall.

Going to buy CDs of the burials at City Road and other Cemetery records that will help me try to find my GG Grandfather William Dodd and other relatives.

My GG Grandfather died 21/05/1866 Sidney Street-Sheffield, my GG Grandmother died and is buried up in City Road along with family members but not William although she lived about 40 years after he died I find it strange he isn't there.

Love the site

Thanks for accepting me as a member and see you all around.

Hi everyone just joined after discovering the site by accident. I used to live in Sheffield but moved over thirty years ago.

Hoping to visit the Family History Fair on Saturday at the Wednesday football ground to go the Sheffield FHS stall.

Going to buy CDs of the burials at City Road and other Cemetery records that will help me try to find my GG Grandfather William Dodd and other relatives.

My GG Grandfather died 21/05/1866 Sidney Street-Sheffield, my GG Grandmother died and is buried up in City Road along with family members but not William although she lived about 40 years after he died I find it strange he isn't there.

Love the site

Thanks for accepting me as a member and see you all around.

Welcome to Sheffield History Ex-SF and I hope you enjoy the site.

Thank you for posting, it is always good to be able to discuss items of Sheffield history with our members.

City Road cemetery, originally called Intake Road cemetery, is a large council municipal cemetery and it was originally opened in 1881

If your GG grandfather died in 1866 he couldn't have been buried there as he died 15 years before the cemetery opened.

However, if your GG grandmother outlived him by about 40 years (to around 1906 then) then it is quite likely that she would be buried there.

This would explain why your GG grandfather is NOT in City Road cemetery, - so perhaps not so strange he isn't there.

However, if you are looking for where he is buried I don't suppose this information is much of a lead.

I know we have other members who have greater expertise in this field and one of them may be able to give you a better answer.

DaveH

Hi Dave

That's answered the "Why" never thought of the Cemetery not being open then, just went along with the idea that it had always been there.

Just need to find the "Where" now. He must be somewhere and I would love to find him to pay my respects and let my family know so they can visit and remember him.

I am hoping to spend time on the site looking through all the information available and helping others if I can with information.

Cheers for now

HI ex SF - I assume this is the chap in 1861 & if this his him being born in Ireland he may be buried in a Catholic Section of a cemetery?

There is this burial on the Sheffield Indexers site - the name & dates look correct but it suggests this one was 0! - Worth checking?

DODD, WILLIAM (buried St Vincent's section, age 0).
Died at ; Buried on May 24, 1866 in Roman Catholic ground;
Grave Number 130, Section B of St Michaels RC Cemetery, Rivelin.

Ex-Sf are you on Ancestry UK - there appears to be quite a few family tree researchers with William Dodd in their trees on there.

Hi dunsbyowl1867,

Saw that at Rivelin but thought it was a child of 0 years of age never thought it might an adult, could the age have been blurred or

unreadable when transcribing for the 0 to have been used ? as the date looks about right.

And yes I am on Ancestry with my Family trees for William. Your attached image is of my family when they lived at Sidney Street.

I will make trip to Rivelin and have a look for the grave when I visit Sheffield this week,although the map says no headstones which is a shame.

Cheers for now