Ketton Cement, Thom W Ward, Bungalows............

Guest janice844

Guest janice844

1. Ketton Cement Bungalow, ''of unusual construction.'

2. Advert on the Wicker Arches for Ketton Cement.

3. My bakerlite ashtray with advertisements.

This is our house, built 1929, previously it was my Grandma's and always facinated me! It's a Ketton Cement Bungalow - oak frame with contrete panels in between, (part prefabricated).

It's not everyone's ideal home and is taking a fair bit of DIY, to say the least, (painting the Forth Bridge?) Quite a few of the bungalows have been knocked down, bricked up or extended, ours is fairly original.

Rumour has it this little estate was built by a man from nearby, (Sheffield 8) who owned a woodyard, he's said to have gone bankrupt over this project.

Another rumour tells of some similar buildings in Birmingham (???) which have been restored and now have a preservation order on them.

Obviously, having an enquiring mind and an interest in architecture, I would love to know anything connected with these buildings.

OK maybe not what you are looking for but here is a little info about Ketton Cement:

Ketton Cement is still produced today, albeit under the Castle Cement brand, on the edge of Ketton village on the the Rutland/Lincolnshire boarder, near to Stamford:

http://www.castlecement.co.uk/new/kettonwo...s.asp&lang=

The limestone for Ketton Cement is mined from a MASSIVE quarry:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G...amp;A=Y&Z=4

I've just asked a friend in the West Midlands if he can shed any light on the Birmingham bungalows, I will report back.

Your house looks fascinating.

Guest janice844

OK maybe not what you are looking for but here is a little info about Ketton Cement:

Ketton Cement is still produced today, albeit under the Castle Cement brand, on the edge of Ketton village on the the Rutland/Lincolnshire boarder, near to Stamford:

http://www.castlecement.co.uk/new/kettonwo...s.asp&lang=

The limestone for Ketton Cement is mined from a MASSIVE quarry:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G...amp;A=Y&Z=4

I've just asked a friend in the West Midlands if he can shed any light on the Birmingham bungalows, I will report back.

Your house looks fascinating.

Guest janice844

Thanks GrinderBloke,

I'm glad that you too find our house facinating, it's been buried under layers of white masonary paint which we periodically scrape off with great difficulty! Where the gutters have leaked the horizontal frame has bits of rot, it's a very sturdy building though.

The inside's been artexed all over but if you strip the picture rails you see they're made from oak, unfortunately they are attached with long rusty nails, so if you try and prize them off, you end up breaking them.

My husband's started to strip the huge gutter today, (shown in the new photo,) it's made from so many pieces of wood, he lost count! We thought this was rotton but it's only the top guttering part, I had visions of bankrupting ourselves down at Greshams timber! You can see the construction better if you zoom in on this photo, I remember the original big diamond shaped roof tiles, I'm told they were asbestos and leaked liked seives!

Guest janice844

Thanks SteveHB,

The original photo was called 'Sunnyside in a thunderstorm, ' or perhaps it should have been 'just before a thunderstorm!' I've been told off for posting such a dismal photo! My husband said I should have gone outside and taken a decent one!

Janice, I live not far from Ketton and have been there many time and although there are some fantastic (and expensive) houses there the village suffers from cement dust fallout - everything is covered in it and people have to keep their windows shut ( not unlike Sheffield in the old days.

Guest janice844

Janice, I live not far from Ketton and have been there many time and although there are some fantastic (and expensive) houses there the village suffers from cement dust fallout - everything is covered in it and people have to keep their windows shut ( not unlike Sheffield in the old days.

I now have a book about the history of Castle (Ketton Cement), it mentions a cement block works in Ketton from 1925, it was owned by a Sheffield builder, Fredrick Thomas Walker, who built this little estate of ketton cement bungalows here in Sheffield. The book mentions these blocks were used for buildings in Ketton and for 'the Crescent and Avenue', I'm wondering if these are called Essendine Crescent and Ketton Avenue, which are the names of the 2 roads here in Sheffield???

Most of the bungalows here have been knocked down, bricked over and made into big houses and altered entirely, ours is still very original. I had a walk round the estate yesterday and there's not many left, although I bet there's a few of the same construction in the villages of Ketton and Essendine. I went to Barnsdale Garden near Rutland a few years ago and while my friend was driving, I noticed a similar bungalow, I think that Rutland's not far from Ketton.

I mentioned in my original posting that I've heard a rumour that there's an estate of similar buildings in Birmingham??? with grade 2 listing, I now see that Castle Cement are based at Birmingham so that could be another connection.

My house has a timber frame but quite a few of the others are made from stone shaped blocks like this photo:

I now have a book about the history of Castle (Ketton Cement), it mentions a cement block works in Ketton from 1925, it was owned by a Sheffield builder, Fredrick Thomas Walker, who built this little estate of ketton cement bungalows here in Sheffield. The book mentions these blocks were used for buildings in Ketton and for 'the Crescent and Avenue', I'm wondering if these are called Essendine Crescent and Ketton Avenue, which are the names of the 2 roads here in Sheffield???

Most of the bungalows here have been knocked down, bricked over and made into big houses and altered entirely, ours is still very original. I had a walk round the estate yesterday and there's not many left, although I bet there's a few of the same construction in the villages of Ketton and Essendine. I went to Barnsdale Garden near Rutland a few years ago and while my friend was driving, I noticed a similar bungalow, I think that Rutland's not far from Ketton.

I mentioned in my original posting that I've heard a rumour that there's an estate of similar buildings in Birmingham??? with grade 2 listing, I now see that Castle Cement are based at Birmingham so that could be another connection.

My house has a timber frame but quite a few of the others are made from stone shaped blocks like this photo:

Janice,

Funnily enough we live even closer to Essendine and when I read your article I though that your house sounded a bit like a row of bungalows I'd seen in - Essendine !on the road from Bourne to Stamford. I try and take a pohto & post for you. Essendine is a funny village and had quite busy Railway goods yard. By way of coincidence that village pub still has it's old sign - it was a Wards house!

Guest janice844

Have you moved from Sheffield then Dunsbyowl?

I'm doing quite well with my research, (or could it be called ˜being nosey?")

I now have a request for photos of the Thomas W Ward's ads for Ketton Cement, there's 2 ads on the back of the building, if I remember correctly, they're identical, with the horse shoe logo. I think the river's in between, either that or a bit of a drop, I can't quite remember. So I am going to have to drag my husband down to take photos, the request is for ˜many pixels". I understand about that, but if I am going to print and post the said photos, I may as well get him to do it properly, I am not technical, I just have an enquiring mind, (nosey!)

In the meantime, I don't think I've ever seen one, but does anyone know of any photos of the said adverts? I'm not worried about the quality, I just want to look at them!

Have you moved from Sheffield then Dunsbyowl?

I’m doing quite well with my research, (or could it be called ‘being nosey?’)

I now have a request for photos of the Thomas W Ward’s ads for Ketton Cement, there’s 2 ads on the back of the building, if I remember correctly, they’re identical, with the horse shoe logo. I think the river’s in between, either that or a bit of a drop, I can’t quite remember. So I am going to have to drag my husband down to take photos, the request is for ‘many pixels,’ I understand about that, but if I am going to print and post the said photos, I may as well get him to do it properly, I am not technical, I just have an enquiring mind, (nosey!)

In the meantime, I don’t think I’ve ever seen one, but does anyone know of any photos of the said adverts? I’m not worried about the quality, I just want to look at them!

Janice are you still around ? - I noticed this on T W Wards building recently

Janice are you still around ? - I noticed this on T W Wards building recently

So where is T. W. Wards? This is obviously a recent picture and they appear to be still in business.

I ask because I have recently posted 2 pictures of a steam roller in the Sheffield Transport - Steam on the Road thread of a roller which was owned by and at the time of the picture still carried the name of "Thomas. W. Ward (Roadstone) Sheffield" along its canopy. I suppose roadstone is not much different from cement making (probably comes from the same quarry) and it looks like this is the same company.

So where is T. W. Wards? This is obviously a recent picture and they appear to be still in business.

I ask because I have recently posted 2 pictures of a steam roller in the Sheffield Transport - Steam on the Road thread of a roller which was owned by and at the time of the picture still carried the name of "Thomas. W. Ward (Roadstone) Sheffield" along its canopy. I suppose roadstone is not much different from cement making (probably comes from the same quarry) and it looks like this is the same company.

Dave

T W Wards are/were at Albion Works Saville St just about at the location of our Then & Now photo.

Rear taken from Effingham St

Dave

T W Wards are/were at Albion Works Saville St just about at the location of our Then & Now photo.

Rear taken from Effingham St

I suppose if its on one of our pictures I should have know that, but Ward does seem to be a fairly common business name in Sheffield.

I assume that this is the same company that owned the steam roller referred to in the other thread.

I suppose if its on one of our pictures I should have know that, but Ward does seem to be a fairly common business name in Sheffield.

I assume that this is the same company that owned the steam roller referred to in the other thread.

They also had an elephant at sometime in there history, think it was during WW1, sure this has been covered somewhere on here (SteveHB will find it if it has been, he is good at that). The elephant also appears in quite a few books.

Tommy Wards Elephant

They also had an elephant at sometime in there history, think it was during WW1, sure this has been covered somewhere on here (SteveHB will find it if it has been, he is good at that). The elephant also appears in quite a few books.

Tommy Wards Elephant

Reminds me of another local elephants used for transport story somewhere but I can't remember the details.

Something to do with a circus, the Moor and a public house just off it with a large yard where the elephant was "stabled"

Anyone any details on this?

Reminds me of another local elephants used for transport story somewhere but I can't remember the details.

Something to do with a circus, the Moor and a public house just off it with a large yard where the elephant was "stabled"

Anyone any details on this?

Seem to think there was somethimg about an elephant being fastened to the "Tree" outside the Big Tree at Woodseats

From National Archives

Access to Archives

Part of the UK archives network

Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland Record Office

You are here Business records of Ketton Portland Cement, 1882-1978

BUSINESS RECORDS OF KETTON PORTLAND CEMENT, 1882-1978

The hierarchical structure of this catalogue is shown below.

See the entire contents of the catalogue instead

Reference DE 2627

Covering dates 1853-1979

Held by Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland Record Office

Extent 368 Files

Source of acquisition Deposited on indefinite loan

Creators Ketton Portland Cement Co Ltd, Sheffield, South Yorkshire; Ketton Portland Cement Co Ltd, Ketton, Rutland

Related information Part of deposit is unlisted relating to Ketton estate.

Administrative history:

In 1928 Mr F.T. Walker sold to Messrs Thos. W. Ward Ltd part of the Ketton Estate and existing stock, plant and machinery. From this the Ketton Portland Cement Co Ltd was formed with its head office located at the Albion Works, Sheffield.

The Ketton works were gradually extended and at one time had an output of over 600,000 tons of cement from six kilns. Brands of cement produced included 'Ketco' Portland Cement and Kettocrete Rapid Hardening Cement. The Ketton quarries are famous for Ketton freestone, a limestone used extensively for building and sculptures in the Midlands and East Anglia.

In 1935 Portland Cement became a joint owner of Ribblesdale Cement Co Ltd, the other half being held by the Tunnel Portland Cement Co Ltd Ribbesdale Cement produced brands known as 'Ribble' and 'Velocreet'.

In the late 1930's, the Horrocksford Lime Co Ltd at Clitheroe, Lancs became an associated company of Ribblesdale Cement. This company produced dry, tarred and bitumous limestone, cold asphalt and ground limestone. In later years the Horrocksford Lime Co amalgamated with the adjacent Bold Venture Lime Co Ltd which was a quarry owner and later became a supplier of dry limestone and other products produced by Horrocksford Cement Co Ltd.

Contents:

The business records of Ketton Cement and its associated cos were collected from the Head Offices of T.W. Ward in Sheffield soon after its take over by the Rio Tinto Zinc Corporation. When the records arrived they were in a very mixed state and in some cases it has been difficult to ascertain from which of the associated companies certain files have originated.

LEGAL RECORDS (Nos 1-3)

ADMINISTRATIVE RECORDS (Nos 4-39)

Minutes and associated papers

Annual Reports and Balance Sheets

Administrative Correspondence:

Shares

Accounts

Employees

Plant and Property

Allied Companies

Miscellaneous

ARE RECORDS (nos 40-54)

Registers

Applications and Allotments

Certificate and Counterfoil Books

Share Transfers

Forms of Proxy

Other

ACCOUNTING RECORDS (Nos 55-194)

Annual Accounts and related papers

Private Books of Account

Private Ledgers

Private Cash Books

General Books of Account

Ledgers

Journals

Day Books

Invoice Books

Transfer Books

Commissions, Discounts and Allowances Books

Other

RECORDS RELATING TO EMPLOYEES (Nos 195-205)

Wages Books

PRODUCTION AND SALES RECORDS (Nos 206-216)

Production Cost Books

Technical Reports

Other

PURCHASE RECORDS (No 217

PLANT AND PROPERTY (Nos 218-222)

PROMOTIONAL MATERIAL (Nos 223-224)

MISCELLANEOUS (Nos 225-230)

RIBBLESDALE CEMENT CO LTD

LEGAL RECORDS (Nos 231-235)

ADMINISTRATIVE RECORDS (Nos 236-265)

Minutes and Associated Papers

Administrative Correspondence

Accounts and taxation

Plant and Property

Shares

Miscellaneous

ACCOUNTING RECORDS (Nos 266-277)

PRODUCTION AND SALES RECORDS (Nos 278-281)

RECORDS RELATING TO EMPLOYEES (No 282)

PLANT AND PROPERTY (Nos 283-295)

Low Moor

Other

PURCHASE RECORDS (No 296)

HORROCKSFORD LIME CO LTD

LEGAL RECORDS (Nos 297-304)

ADMINISTRATIVE RECORDS (Nos 305-321)

Nute Books and associated papers

Administrative Correspondence

Accounts

Shares

Miscellaneous

SHARE RECORDS (Nos 322-326)

ACCOUNTING RECORDS (Nos 327-330)

PRODUCTION AND SALES RECORDS (No 331)

PLANT AND PROPERTY (Nos 332-333)

BOLD VENTURE LIME CO LTD

LEGAL RECORDS (Nos 334-335)

ADMINISTRATIVE RECORDS (Nos 336-337)

SHARE RECORDS (No 338)

ACCOUNTING RECORDS (No 339)

PLANT AND PROPERTY (No 340-342)

J. CRABTREE (TRANSPORT) LTD (No 343-344)

TUNNEL PORTLAND CEMENT CO LTD (No 345)

SWINDEN MACADAM CO LTD (No 346)

Expand KETTON PORTLAND CEMENT CO LTD DE 2627/1-230 [n.d.]

Expand RIBBLESDALE CEMENT CO. LTD DE 2627/231-296 [n.d.]

Expand HORROCKSFORD LIME CO. LTD DE 2627/297-333 [n.d.]

Expand BOLD VENTURE LIME CO. LTD DE 2627/334-342 [n.d.]

Expand J. CRABTREE (TRANSPORT) LTD DE 2627/343-344 [n.d.]

Expand TUNNEL PORTLAND CEMENT CO. LTD DE 2627/345 [n.d.]

Expand SWINDEN MACADAM CO. LTD DE 2627/346 [n.d.]

The contents of this catalogue are the copyright of Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland Record Office

Rights in the Access to Archives database are the property of the Crown, © 2001-2008

The records described on this page are held by Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland Record Office

Tommy Wards were also dealers in large electrical plant at one time, power transformers, large motors and the like. An offshoot company called Wardpower made medium/large emergency generator sets for standby supplies. They were, and I believe still are, located just off the Wicker.

I was once asked to carry out proving tests on a very large diesel powered stand-by set. Standing next to a two million watt generator set that could run up to full stable electrical load within 10 seconds in an enclosed shed in the middle of Sheffield was a strange and very noisy experiance. The power generated was dissapated in a bank of what were in effect huge fan-heaters aimed up into the Sheffield sky. Roast pidgeon anyone ?

HD

Janice,

Funnily enough we live even closer to Essendine and when I read your article I though that your house sounded a bit like a row of bungalows I'd seen in - Essendine !on the road from Bourne to Stamford. I try and take a pohto & post for you. Essendine is a funny village and had quite busy Railway goods yard. By way of coincidence that village pub still has it's old sign - it was a Wards house!

Here you go Janice - everything comes to she who waits .. I promised this 5 years ago - looks close enough to be related do you think - from a row of cottages in Essendine, Lincolnshire.

A somewhat belated contribution, this, prompted by having to visit Woodland Road yesterday.

Frederick Thos Walker was married (1896) to Ada Catherine Thompson, daughter of Arthur Gill Thompson, ecclesiastical silversmith, who was the son of Joseph Curr Thompson, eldest son of George Thompson, engineer, schoolmaster & my gggg grandfather, who married Ann Curr, niece of John Curr, the great colliery & railway engineer.

Geoffrey

As part of the formation of the Ketton Portland Cement Company in April 1929, in April 1928 T W Wards bought Walker & Company, builders of Derbyshire Lane.  In 1929 they brought Frederick Thomas Walker onto the board of the new company along with Joseph Ward J.P (Endcliffe Grange, Chairman, and M.D. of T W Ward), Erik Elmquist (of Kirton Lindsey, Consulting Engineer), Frank Rutland Stagg (Director of T W Ward) and George Ernest Marlow (of Lyndhurst, Wadsley, Contractor).  The Walker Company received £55,000 cash, 55,000 ordinary £1 shares, and 10,000 £1 preference shares.

The first annual report in 1929 states that a manager's bungalow at Ketton had been completed and 10 workers cottages started.

5a19470a3eabe_TWWardAnnualReport1929.thumb.png.5e059d5e1419a615de7be98720e101b8.png

5a1947020d0af_TWWardAdvert31_12-_1930.thumb.png.85234681d866879ff52958d4afba820a.png

Hello, not sure if this thread is still active, I have purchased a house in ketton Rutland and wondering on its history. I couldn't find anything out about when it was built, the estate agent guessed in the 50s, however I wonder if it was earlier.. IV been thinking could it be linked to the cement works, possibly built for workers housing? It's at the other end of the village to the cement works but has similar features.

IMG_20200601_104046.jpg