1950's Os Maps

johnm

I am trying to look at the 1950's OS maps for Penistone rd but all I mm getting when the link to the relevant page comes up is Map_31_watermk_upload.jpg

Is there a fault or is it my computer?

Thanks, John

I am trying to look at the 1950's OS maps for Penistone rd but all I mm getting when the link to the relevant page comes up is Map_31_watermk_upload.jpg

Is there a fault or is it my computer?

Thanks, John

It is a site fault John, not your computer or internet connection

1950's OS map #31

Thanks SteveHB, I have tried your link & I see the map very briefly (maybe half a second) then it disappears & I get a blank screen

Yes SteveHB. It works ok now. I think I have a problem with Intenet Explorer so have gone on to Firefox which seems much better.

I am looking for the section covering Moorhead plus Furnival Street but have not been successful. Is this one of the missing sections pls?

17 minutes ago, oldrowley said:

I am looking for the section covering Moorhead plus Furnival Street but have not been successful. Is this one of the missing sections pls?

Yes oldrowley, we don't have the 1950's maps that cover that area.

5671ab225d89f_mapgrid.thumb.jpg.68ccd78b

16 hours ago, oldrowley said:

But, I may have a copy of a 1960's large scale map, not sure if Moorhead is on it, seem to think it is more Moorfoot.

I will take a look tomorrow.

15 hours ago, SteveHB said:

But, I may have a copy of a 1960's large scale map, not sure if Moorhead is on it, seem to think it is more Moorfoot.

I will take a look tomorrow.

Incomplete and not very clear resolution wise, but owts better than nowt.

Untitled_001.thumb.jpg.e35a3ea1c74d85b10

© Crown Copyright 1963, Reproduced by kind permission of the Ordnance Survey.

Do we have any more maps that are out of copyright than can be posted ? I think I'm allowed to ask the question since I bought the job lot; many thanks to those that assisted in stitching together the maps I scanned/ worked on them in any way; no idea where the originals are now.

11 hours ago, RichardB said:

Do we have any more maps that are out of copyright than can be posted ? I think I'm allowed to ask the question since I bought the job lot; many thanks to those that assisted in stitching together the maps I scanned/ worked on them in any way; no idea where the originals are now.

Not 100% sure of the agreement we have with Ordnance Survey, think it states maps older than fifty years.

We need to ask Stuart0742 for confirmation, it was he who contacted OS.

The original agreement was as Steve says, maps over 50 years old, therefore any maps we have that are 1964/65 should be ok to upload

Thank you SteveHB for taking the time to search for and post  a Moorhead map. I was originally looking for the layout of the tram lines on Furnival Street which I know was single track at some point but as luck would have it, the 1963 revised map was after the demise of the tramway system. I'm sure one of our tramway wizards will be able to answer my query though. Thanks again.

Maybe not too clear on this map from 1953, but the tram tracks on Furnival Street (going away from Moorhead) seem to converge into a single line level with Union Lane until they reach Sidney Street and then diverge again. At least that's how it appears on the map?

Tram Tracks on Furnival Street c.1953

Hope this helps?

There you go! One set of tracks along Furnival Street on these photos, all dated around the same time as the map link above.

Furnival Street looking towards junction of Arundel Street

Furnival Street from Eyre Street

Furnival Street from Moorhead (here you can see the two sets of tracks converge into one, level with the overhead line mast, on the left between the car and the truck)

Moorhead, looking towards Furnival Street (probably the reason why there were single tracks? Furnival Street was one-way from Brown Street to Moorhead..... makes sense)

Tram No. 1, Furnival Street (ditto comments above - note the "NO ENTRY" sign) 

On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 8:14 AM, RLongden said:

There you go! One set of tracks along Furnival Street on these photos, all dated around the same time as the map link above.

Furnival Street looking towards junction of Arundel Street

Furnival Street from Eyre Street

Furnival Street from Moorhead (here you can see the two sets of tracks converge into one, level with the overhead line mast, on the left between the car and the truck)

Moorhead, looking towards Furnival Street (probably the reason why there were single tracks? Furnival Street was one-way from Brown Street to Moorhead..... makes sense)

Tram No. 1, Furnival Street (ditto comments above - note the "NO ENTRY" sign) 

Many thanks for the info RLongden - most helpful and informative