Owlerton United Methodist Church

Guest Adam Allcroft

Guest Adam Allcroft

Just been looking through this site and while there is a great topic on methodist churches, I can't find any details of this place and where it may be or was. Does anyone have any details?

Its marriage registers from 1918 - 1962 are in Sheffield Archives under SY 139/N30/13-15 but there are no baptism registers. It was on Penistone Rd. That suggests it was built around 1917 & put out of use in the 1960's. Its Roll of Honour is on Sheffield History at http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/6132-owlerton-united-methodist-church-roll-of-honour/

It is surprising that there is not more on it but Sheffield Archives may be able to give more information.

Don't confuse this church with the Methodist New Connection church which was also on Penistone Rd but was built in the 1830's I think & is shown on Picture Sheffield & had a grave yard. I am fairly sure that was a different church.

Is this Capel Street

Its marriage registers from 1918 - 1962 are in Sheffield Archives under SY 139/N30/13-15 but there are no baptism registers. It was on Penistone Rd. That suggests it was built around 1917 & put out of use in the 1960's. Its Roll of Honour is on Sheffield History at http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/6132-owlerton-united-methodist-church-roll-of-honour/

It is surprising that there is not more on it but Sheffield Archives may be able to give more information.

Don't confuse this church with the Methodist New Connection church which was also on Penistone Rd but was built in the 1830's I think & is shown on Picture Sheffield & had a grave yard. I am fairly sure that was a different church.

Capel Street, on the left hand side ..... ?

www.picturesheffield.com/;s05104

Could this be the chapel on the corner of Borough Road & Park View Road, Owlerton. It looks (looked ?) a very old building ?

On the 1892 map it is marked as Wesleyan Reform Chapel. There only seems to be an older part of the chapel still remaining.

I can't read the inscription on the gable in Streetview.

HD

Could this be the chapel on the corner of Borough Road & Park View Road, Owlerton. It looks (looked ?) a very old building ?

On the 1892 map it is marked as Wesleyan Reform Chapel. There only seems to be an older part of the chapel still remaining.

I can't read the inscription on the gable in Streetview.

HD

The inscription on the chapel on Borough Road is 1861, but this appears to refer to the Sunday School

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/5292-date-stones-on-sheffield-buildings/?p=79032

The Sheffield Archives listing of Non-conformist church registers for Owlerton shows both the New Connection (NC) & United Methodist (UM) churches (& the Wesleyan church) so the UM & NC are definately not the same. The evidence is that the UM church was built after 1881 as it is not in the 1881 Religious survey list of UM churches

Sheffield Archives Non – conformist church registers listing

OWLERTON (Sheffield)

Penistone Road (UM)

Marr 1918-1962

SY 139/N30/13-15

Wesleyan Chapel

Bap 1838-1903

NR 1681

Methodist Chapel (NC)

Bap 1879-1963

NR 857-858

Three to choose from in 1892 - Wesleyan, Wesleyan Reform and New Connexion:

attachicon.gifMethodist Chapels 1892.png

United Methodist Chapel, Penistone Road. (Capel Street)

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Bradfield Road.

Wesleyan Reform Chapel, Borough Road.

White's 1911.

-----------------

United Methodist Chapel, Penistone Road.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Bradfield Road.

Wesleyan Reform Chapel, Borough Road.

Kelly's 1925.

Methodist Church, Bradfield Road.

Wesleyan Reform Church, Borough Road.

Penistone Road, (Capel Street), not listed, probably demolished.

Kelly's 1965.

SteveHB, on 24 May 2013 - 08:57, said:

Methodist Church, Bradfield Road.

Wesleyan Reform Church, Borough Road.

Penistone Road, (Capel Street), not listed, probably demolished.

Kelly's 1965.

I remember the Bradfield Road church / chapel very well. It was a very large structure and ran as far back as the little lane, (Bradfield Lane ? ), which had the doorway at the bottom, closed on Good Fridays, through to the Blue Ball yard.

It was demolished in the sixties and a Tesco store built on the footprint, (now the Wilkinson's store). There was a dog legged lane ran up the side which connected Bradfield Road & Lane.

It was very run down in the fifties with soot coated walls and windows.

My cousin was married at the Borough Road chapel in the late fifties 'so it was still in use at that time.

HD

I remember the Bradfield Road church / chapel very well. It was a very large structure and ran as far back as the little lane, (Bradfield Lane ? ), which had the doorway at the bottom, closed on Good Fridays, through to the Blue Ball yard.

It was demolished in the sixties and a Tesco store built on the footprint, (now the Wilkinson's store). There was a dog legged lane ran up the side which connected Bradfield Road & Lane.

It was very run down in the fifties with soot coated walls and windows.

My cousin was married at the Borough Road chapel in the late fifties 'so it was still in use at that time.

HD

Picturesheffield t03491

1950's OS map #241