'high House' And 'attercup'?

ThemWotDays

Perhaps I should have put this on the maps forum, but thought it might get missed there...?

On Google Earth there is now a link to Rumsey's Historical Maps, presenting a selection of old maps that one can overlay on current satellite images. One such map is entitled "England and Wales 1790".

the places shown in and around Sheffield are all familiar, albeit antiquated spellings and script, but there are two odd ones (see attached):

One is "High House" which seems to sit just upstream of the River Loxley from where it runs into the Don (maybe what we now call Malin Bridge?).

The other is particularly odd, "Attercup" (at least I think that's what it says). You have to look hard to see the placement 'dot' to the right of the label to see where this is, but it's in the Don Valley between Attercliffe and Templeborough. All I could guess is is it some kind of abbreviation for Attercliffe-cum-Darnall (though don't know how you'd get a 'p' out of that and why would you show Attercliffe separately to this?)

Any thoughts?

You do get some odd variations of names on old maps. Bents Green appears on old maps as Bench Green, and Bower Hill at the top of the Porter Valley appears as Boar Hill, to name but two.

I don't think that there was much thought given to spelling accuracy back then.

In the parish registers, I have seen Attercliffe variously described as "attercliffe", "attercliff" and as "atterclif" and hand writing styles don,t seem to have helped much either.

The type setter probably set the print out in line with what he thought he saw, rather than what the author intended to convey.

Which in all, makes it rather good fun.

I also see that Killamarsh, is spelt Kilmarsh and that Beauchief is spelt Beauclues.

As the OP says, both Attercup and Attercliffe appear on the map, so presumably the first isn't a corruption of the second, unless the cartographer (and/or the engraver) was hedging his bets?

"Atterc up" - could it be abbreviation for Attercliffe and "Up" as in "Hill Top" - ie Attercliffe Hill Top - the blob on the map is in the right sort of place?

And what about "Podlesey" near Hathersage - is that Nether Padley?

Thanks vox for the High House info; hadn't heard of that place before. The map shows it near Malin Bridge but actually it was further down the Loxley at Owlerton.

I think, Unitedite, that Beauchief is actually marked as "Beauchies"; still an unfamiliar form / corruption, but a little closer to the mark than your suggested "Beauclues" - the script makes the "hi" look like "lu".

Atterc up (Attercliffe Upper?), interesting suggestion, Edmund; it does indeed look like it could be two words, though I thought it was just the position of the upper Don line which forced the cartographer to split the label word.

(Nether) Padley / Padley (Gorge) is indeed what I had assumed for "Podesley".

"Darvent Chapel" to the west of Sheffield is presumably Derwent Village, now submerged beneath Ladybower Reservoir.

The other one I forgot to mention is Holm(itth) northwest of Rotherham centre, can't decipher last few letters, which I presumed was Holmes, as in the Homes Chord on the railways near Masbrough.

The other one I forgot to mention is Holm(itth) northwest of Rotherham centre, can't decipher last few letters, which I presumed was Holmes, as in the Homes Chord on the railways near Masbrough.

"Holmath" ?

Seats of Peers and Baronets. South Yorkshire 1750c .

Aston - Earl of Holderness

Brearley - Sir William Wentworth Bart

Bretton - Sir William Wentworth Bt

Brodsworth - The Earl of Kinnoul

*Cowick - Lord Viscount Downe

Edlington - Lady Molesworth

*Heath - Sir Charles Saville Bt

*Holmath - Lord Effingham Howard (and the Grange, Rotherham)

*Kippax - Sir J Bland Bt

Kiveton - The Duke of Leeds

Nostell - Sir Rowland Winn Bt

Sandbeck - The Earl of Scarbrough

Wentworth Castle - Earl of Strafford

Wentworth

Woodhouse - Marquis of Rockingham

Wheatley - Sir Geo Cooke Bt

Woolley - Sir Godfrey Wentworth Bt.

*Excluded by definition of the area- Wapentakes of Staincross and Upper and

Lower Strafforth.

https://www.google.co.uk/#output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=holmath+rotherham&oq=holmath+rotherham&gs_l=hp.12...1583.11408.1.12954.17.17.0.0.0.0.139.1575.13j4.17.0...0.0...1c.1.14.hp.V48QvMWIYsM&psj=1&fp=1&biw=1029&bih=572&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&cad=b

367 pages.