Sheffield bus conductors/drivers/inspectors

knightstemplar

I am sure that it is not "Paddy Conners" as I knew him from 1963 as a driver at Leadmill Road garage and when I went back on the buses mid 80s he was in the driving school as an Instructor and his hair was not white, greying a bit but not as in the photo which is IMO Joe Hodgson

No it is not Paddy, he was taller and slimmer. The last time I saw him was at Pete Skeltons funeral and I think that would be the early 90s.

My Grandfather, Fred Hinkler, was a tram driver in the 40's until due to ill health he was made a conductor. Later, as his health deteriorated further, he was given lighter duties indoors at the tram sheds. He died at a young age in 1955.

He lived in Southey Green and I think he worked somewhere near Five Arches? (Probably wrong there)

I have a few memories of him as a working man, one of which was getting on his tram outside the Classic in Fitzallan Square. His driver lifted me up and let me turn the accelerator.

Another time I was on his tram we got off to change the points and he let me help him lever them across. There was a bent sixpence in the lines, which he gave to me.

My Grandfather, Fred Hinkler, was a tram driver in the 40's until due to ill health he was made a conductor. Later, as his health deteriorated further, he was given lighter duties indoors at the tram sheds. He died at a young age in 1955.

He lived in Southey Green and I think he worked somewhere near Five Arches? (Probably wrong there)

I have a few memories of him as a working man, one of which was getting on his tram outside the Classic in Fitzallan Square. His driver lifted me up and let me turn the accelerator.

Another time I was on his tram we got off to change the points and he let me help him lever them across. There was a bent sixpence in the lines, which he gave to me.

Herries Road Bus Garage was situated near the Five Arches which he probably worked at in his later years. This Garage did not run Trams. Nice memories though, and I hope you still have the bent Sixpence. Gordon (onemanner).

My late Grandad ( Albert Johnson ) was a driver from 1949-1976 , he was based at Leadmill first then went over to East Bank Road , his routes were 25 Beighton , 95 / 52 / 17 .

He went over to the maintenance side from 1971 -1976 at we think Bramall Lane ?

His Conductors from 1949-1971 were

Stan Wood , Horace Hessey & George Waterhouse .

Guest bus man

My late Grandad ( Albert Johnson ) was a driver from 1949-1976 , he was based at Leadmill first then went over to East Bank Road , his routes were 25 Beighton , 95 / 52 / 17 .

He went over to the maintenance side from 1971 -1976 at we think Bramall Lane ?

His Conductors from 1949-1971 were

Stan Wood , Horace Hessey & George Waterhouse .

The dates for Bramall Lane don't fit

There was a bus depot at Bramhall lane which shut in the ealy 1960's when East Bank garage opened. The former depot at bramhall lane next to the pub near James cycles) the site was used by PWD for some years before it was demolished and is now student flats/ Lavers HQ

Was he at Leadmill again in the period 1971 - 1976 but this time on the maintenace side ?

There was a bus depot at Bramhall lane which shut in the ealy 1960's when East Bank garage opened. The former depot at bramhall lane next to the pub near James cycles) the site was used by PWD for some years before it was demolished and is now student flats/ Lavers HQ

Was he at Leadmill again in the period 1971 - 1976 but this time on the maintenace side ?

Some of those Blades will be getitng upset again - that rogue h is creeping into the road name again!!

There is mention of Bramall Lane bus depot in the Olympia, Bramall Lane discussion. Closure was in 1963, according to Chas C Hall.

Well if Bramall Lane was shut in the early 1960's then it must have been Leadmill that he was at from 1971-76

just put in SYTM and bring back the memorys

How can we talk about inspectors without mention of Insp. Phillips ?!

On coming off duty on the 82's / 88's ( 1960's ) at the top of Angel Street, the reasonable and accepted arrangement was for the next conductor to take the fares of passengers, usually quite a few, who had got on at the previous stop at the bottom of Snig Hill. This allowed for completing your waybill and putting the ticket machine away etc.between the two nearby stops so as not to cut into your break time, and so the arrangement was acceptable all round.

However, it was often a case of.... 'Enter inspector Phillips, stage left, from hiding in a doorway at the Snig Hill stop' ! That was it, he'd make you stay on until you'd got in all the fares, even when the next conductor was aboard, reducing the time you had to gallop to the Castlegate canteen by a good few, precious minutes. He missed his vocation, as he'd have made a top operative of MI5; Burgess and McLean wouldn't have stood a chance !  ( " Who's Burgess and McLean Grandad ?)

• Like 1

The following photos are from the 'Picture Sheffield' site. If they don't come through, put  'Tenter Street' ( not 'Townhead Street' as it should be ) into the search box and you will see them all. Note Bill Fiddler at his desk.

Townhead Street (right), Broad Lane (foreground) and Tenter Street (left) roundabout looking towards Hawley Street, Sheffield Corporation, Tramway and Omnibus Depot, Tenter Street, on left

Interior of Sheffield Transport Depot, Tenter Street, mid 1960's
u05824
u05825
u05826
Key Board Room, Sheffield Transport Depot, Tenter Street, mid 1960's
u05827
Depot Inspectors Offices, Sheffield Transport Depot, Tenter Street, mid 1960's
u05828
Mess Room, Sheffield Transport Depot, Tenter Street, mid 1960's
u05829
Old Cash Counting House, Sheffield Transport Depot, Tenter Street, mid 1960's
u05830
Interior, Sheffield Transport Depot, Tenter Street, mid 1960's
u05831
Locking up for the last time, Sheffield Transport Depot, Tenter Street, mid 1960's
u05832
Sheffield Transport Depot, Tenter Street, mid 1960's
u05833

Broad Lane Roundabout from Tenter Street looking towards Broad Lane

On 15/10/2008 at 19:54, Waterside Echo said:

There was a conductoress at Herries Road Depot called Wendy in the early 70s. She was bubbly and full of life even on early mornings, we all liked her and so did her passengers. I only worked with her on a few occasions but will always remember her. Ex driver 3002.

I was at Herries early 70s I seem to remember you vaguely ,I was a conductor 3512 

the story of the inspector hiding in the door way reminds of an early morning encounter with an Inspector, me and  My conductor nickname Strijo were doing an early morning run to the steel works we then  had to run light  and pick up route 17 from parsons cross I had done a detour dropped him at lane end where  he would collect teas and bacon butties it was very early and not many people would be gettng on we were on one of the old side loaders with seperate cab Strijo would leave the ticket machine and I would take the few fares that got on, all went well for a couple of days till the inspector boarded just behind my conductor OOPS  happy days 

Hi All

Bit latte I know, but I’m new to the site which I am finding interesting I’m have to say.

I was a bus conductor form a while around 1972 to 1974, there were still the old back loaders then, my driver was a guy named George he was from the south somewhere, Margate I think. Then the front load type buses came in, I remember once my ticket machine broke, which was an atlas if memory serves, I was given a setright I hated it, memories though :)

On 16/11/2008 at 21:13, Guest bus man said:

The following photo was taken in around 1980 ish by me in Harmer Lane Sheffield

http://http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/...rent=img177.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o24/TRAMMANN/img177.jpg

can anyone id the inspector ?

I dont know the name so I cant say if you are right or wrong

My late Uncle Eric Stewart was an Inspector in Pond St around this time. Sadly the watermark stops me closing in to see whether it is him but the image certainly looks like him. 

Readers of this column might like to check out Tramway Tales, a collection of short stories based in the Sheffield area in the good old days. It's on Kindle Books, priced £0.97p. 

My deceased mother was a Sheffield Clippie for a period during the last War and often related a tale that ‘ Corporation’ buses  met trains at Sheffield Stations and collected ( she said, ITALIAN) PoWs who were transported to such as Redmires PoW ‘cages’ by that means. She didn’t go so far as to suggest that the hapless captives were asked for their fares up there! She, did, however, add that there were armed ‘Tommies’ on the rear loading platforms of the vehicles. 
Interesting stories though, sadly, don’t imagine many/ any? other crew members from that era still  alive to add to to them.

On 01/06/2007 at 22:57, Guest chocolatetiger66 said:

My sister Wendy Reed was a bus conductor in the late 60s early 70s.

post-582-1180734933.jpg

post-582-1180734947.jpg

A lovely lass, but she'd have been a 'Bus ConductRESS' back then !