Sheffield bus conductors/drivers/inspectors

knightstemplar

Does anyone have any relations that worked as bus conductors, drivers or inspectors? Have you got any pictures? My uncle was all of these he was Arthur Proctor and worked at Greenland Road depot.

Arthur Proctor

Greenland Rd group

Presentation

Sue

Guest chocolatetiger66

My sister Wendy Reed was a bus conductor in the late 60s early 70s.

I was a Tram conductor in 1953 @ Tinsley Depot, moving to Tenter Street when Tinsley closed. I then applied to train as a Bus Conductor and eventually moved on to being a bus driver at Townhead Street (upstairs fron Tenter Street). Later on I was one of the first onemanners to work the Buxton/Manchester(48)/Bakewell (40)and Huddersfield(68) and was the first onemanner to test run the then new 'White Rose Express' service (X31..X32..X33) and then operated that for a number of years with the new high speed coaches. It became very very stressfull speeding up and down the M1 every day for a living, pushing the vehicle to its limit (90mph sometimes) to keep on time. 50 minutes Sheffield to Leeds direct was difficult to keep because of traffic hold ups. If you need any other info please get in touch. :(

• Like 1

Guest r.send

I was a bus driver in 1961 to 1967 till Ihad words with Miss Monker. For a short time I had Ivy Walsh for my back end she all so worked on the trams and told a lot of tails of the best times on Sheffield Transport. R.Send (BArry Booler 723)

Does anyone have any relations that worked as bus conductors, drivers or inspectors? Have you got any pictures? My uncle was all of these he was Arthur Proctor and worked at Greenland Road depot.

Arthur Proctor

Greenland Rd group

Presentation

Sue

I had a Proctor who was a tram conductor, John William Proctor, born 1877 died 1903

• Thanks 1

Oh Neddy It could have been his father or uncle, I know absoultly nothing about Arthurs family which I thought was very strange as he married Mildred Preston whos family were very close. I do remember something was once said about a family member who was a shopkeeper-grocer. Arthur died in 1975 and lived on Basford St, Darnall, I asume there was sisters and brothers

I had a Proctor who was a tram conductor, John William Proctor, born 1877 died 1903

John W. Proctor living at 57 Charles Street, aged 4 in 1881.

I have been meaning to post in this thread for a while but hadn't due to lack of info,

was hoping to be able to be more specific but am unable to be at present. Any road

my grandfather Arthur Haynes was a tram and bus driver for 50 years. Not yet sure of his tram routes

but he finished his career on the 31 bus route around 1965. Hopefully more detail to follow

Does anyone recall the conductor who "sang" out the, then, villages on the Sheffield to Retford bus in the mid to late 60's? I remember him as we approached Swallownest which he sang out as "Swallowowsnest"

I was a bus driver in 1961 to 1967 till Ihad words with Miss Monker. For a short time I had Ivy Walsh for my back end she all so worked on the trams and told a lot of tails of the best times on Sheffield Transport. R.Send (BArry Booler 723)

Would that be the same Barry Booler who allegedly got reported for overtaking a fire engine on a 999 shout, and taking a bus to West Bar police station as it had a bald tyre ? On both occasions the bus was in service with passengers on board.

Guest bus man

The member who worked at TINSLEY TRAM SHED could you please think carefull the current users of Tinsley tram shed are trying find out what the upstairs rooms were used for if you want to PM then please do so

My sister Wendy Reed was a bus conductor in the late 60s early 70s.

There was a conductoress at Herries Road Depot called Wendy in the early 70s. She was bubbly and full of life even on early mornings, we all liked her and so did her passengers. I only worked with her on a few occasions but will always remember her. Ex driver 3002.

I was a Tram conductor in 1953 @ Tinsley Depot, moving to Tenter Street when Tinsley closed. I then applied to train as a Bus Conductor and eventually moved on to being a bus driver at Townhead Street (upstairs fron Tenter Street). Later on I was one of the first onemanners to work the Buxton/Manchester(48)/Bakewell (40)and Huddersfield(68) and was the first onemanner to test run the then new 'White Rose Express' service (X31..X32..X33) and then operated that for a number of years with the new high speed coaches. It became very very stressfull speeding up and down the M1 every day for a living, pushing the vehicle to its limit (90mph sometimes) to keep on time. 50 minutes Sheffield to Leeds direct was difficult to keep because of traffic hold ups. If you need any other info please get in touch. :(

Those high speed coaches were Leyland Leopard`s, one of the finest vehicles ever to be manufactured in this country at that time. They were at home in towns and motorways alike. We used the later examples on Coachline, and though they were getting rather tired by then they could see off many of their rivals on steep motorway inclines etc. PS. It was 90 MPH and at times with standing passengers when White Rose first operated. Ex driver 3002.

• Like 1

My uncle Bill Williams was a bus driver from shortly after the war till maybe the 1980s. I'm sure I remember him talking about working on the 'X runs, and he used to run out into Derbyshire as well.

ayfer

Guest littlemalc

The following photo was taken in around 1980 ish by me in Harmer Lane Sheffield

http://http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/...rent=img177.jpg

I think it might be Joe Hodgson, the photo is not that clear, certainly one of the driving school inspectors

can anyone id the inspector ?

I dont know the name so I cant say if you are right or wrong

Guest littlemalc

I was an inspector for 23 years, started as a bus driver with STD, and went inspecting with SYPTE, finaly retired in 1993 at age of 50, now living in Scarborough.

I would love to add photo's, but havnt a clue how to do it! oh! the name of course, Malcolm Smith.

I was an inspector for 23 years, started as a bus driver with STD, and went inspecting with SYPTE, finaly retired in 1993 at age of 50, now living in Scarborough.

I would love to add photo's, but havnt a clue how to do it! oh! the name of course, Malcolm Smith.

Welcome Malcolm. Are you still tinkering about with old Rovers?. How about a few stories of Harry Wuff and Bridge Street, remember that icey winters night when our powers that be would not come out of their nice warm office in castle square . I have not yet mastered the photo bit yet, having to enlist help of a 15 year old. REGARDS, W/A. [ Alias M T and old Rileys.]

Guest transit

...Hi Malc ,and welcome from 'tother forum ! glad you've joined . Please feel free to share your memories and info with us on here , and i am sure Busman or me will hopefully be able to add pictures where we can from our collections to help. :unsure:

Guest littlemalc

Welcome Malcolm. Are you still tinkering about with old Rovers?. How about a few stories of Harry Wuff and Bridge Street, remember that icey winters night when our powers that be would not come out of their nice warm office in castle square . I have not yet mastered the photo bit yet, having to enlist help of a 15 year old. REGARDS, W/A. [ Alias M T and old Rileys.]

Hi! Waterside, the tinkering with cars has now gone, flamin arthritis etc, however, pass plenty time with Scarborough Spa Orchestra, and am a member of historical aircraft club here, we have some good visits to RAF bases etc.

Nice to see some old memories here, however, have to be careful what I say, you might remember, I was a bit naughty with some of my "interests" at times, ha1 ha! good old days though, but must be truthful, retirement hours are much better

Hi! Waterside, the tinkering with cars has now gone, flamin arthritis etc, however, pass plenty time with Scarborough Spa Orchestra, and am a member of historical aircraft club here, we have some good visits to RAF bases etc.

Nice to see some old memories here, however, have to be careful what I say, you might remember, I was a bit naughty with some of my "interests" at times, ha1 ha! good old days though, but must be truthful, retirement hours are much better

I never gave that Regulators hut on Leopold Street a thought, honest! W/E.

Guest sammyopisite

It's Paddy Connors. He taught me to drive abus a very long time ago!

I am sure that it is not "Paddy Conners" as I knew him from 1963 as a driver at Leadmill Road garage and when I went back on the buses mid 80s he was in the driving school as an Instructor and his hair was not white, greying a bit but not as in the photo which is IMO Joe Hodgson