This Weekend ...

RichardB

I will be mincing about in the grounds of a Grade I listed Country House (Sledmere) dressed like a prat.

It's training weekend for musket, pike and artillery plus time in the home-made beer-tent.

Will get photos of other like minded individuals.

Went to a fete/ flower show type thingy at Sledmere a couple of years ago. Lovely place, I hope the weather holds, you should have a great time. Enjoy! Apparently they have antique fairs there quite regularly, and David Hockney can be seen strolling round the stalls.

Given that I'll be dressed neck to knee in lined woollen garments (which have to be fully buttoned up for HSE regulations), I'm kind of hoping for rain !

Went to a fete/ flower show type thingy at Sledmere a couple of years ago. Lovely place, I hope the weather holds, you should have a great time. Enjoy! Apparently they have antique fairs there quite regularly, and David Hockney can be seen strolling round the stalls.

Given that I'll be dressed neck to knee in lined woollen garments (which have to be fully buttoned up for HSE regulations), I'm kind of hoping for rain !

Mm, I see what you mean!

Fine day. hot even when pulling a cannon around - not so bad downhill, awful uphill. Requested a redesign of the carrying handles, the existing ones means two guys end up pulling it with one finger each trapped inside the handle. OK it's a lot of two people weightwise but still badly designed on the model used today.

Mm, I see what you mean!

...a 17th century soldier in glasses!!!

I don't think Specsavers was around then, - and although spectacles had been around for about a century by then making accurately shaped lenses from glass was still a very expensive process, even the richest Caviliiers, with the exception of King Charles I himself, would be unable to afford them.

We've been here before. get a grip man. You do the best you can. When you can afford period glasses, you get them. Health & Safety wouldn't be too happy about me setting off explosives with eyesight not the best I can get it,

Got me coat, extra trousers, membership, tent, boots, hobnails, Sledmere this weekend, Rotherham next weekend, Blenheim Palace at end of month, petrol ain't cheap - rest of expense going to have to wait until I can afford it - period frames not top of the list. Plus as previously explained, we're artillery and at least 20 yards away from any audience (thing was training exercise, just family allowed anywhere near), when I can afford £200+ for glasses I'll wear 4 times a year, I'll let you know, :P

...a 17th century soldier in glasses!!!

I don't think Specsavers was around then, - and although spectacles had been around for about a century by then making accurately shaped lenses from glass was still a very expensive process, even the richest Caviliiers, with the exception of King Charles I himself, would be unable to afford them.

We've been here before. get a grip man. You do the best you can. When you can afford period glasses, you get them. Health & Safety wouldn't be too happy about me setting off explosives with eyesight not the best I can get it,

Got me coat, extra trousers, membership, tent, boots, hobnails, Sledmere this weekend, Rotherham next weekend, Blenheim Palace at end of month, petrol ain't cheap - rest of expense going to have to wait until I can afford it - period frames not top of the list. Plus as previously explained, we're artillery and at least 20 yards away from any audience (thing was training exercise, just family allowed anywhere near), when I can afford £200+ for glasses I'll wear 4 times a year, I'll let you know, :P

I think I'll join a civil war re-enactment group and turn up dressed as an astronaut to give it that nice mix of 17th and 20th century.

A time machine would come in handy, reminds me of Blackadder "Back & Forth" special.

I'm eagerly awaiting WWII people showing up. Medieval and Romans have all the best clothes, we are just noisy.

"Oi, Ceasar shift it, loaded gun here..."

Six hours in a spacesuit with the helmet closed you'd drown in your own sweat! Nice idea. .. go for it.

I think I'll join a civil war re-enactment group and turn up dressed as an astronaut to give it that nice mix of 17th and 20th century.

A time machine would come in handy, reminds me of Blackadder "Back & Forth" special.

Due to the temperature extremes and radiation exposure in space spacesuits are designed to keep you really comfortable regardless of the external conditions.

I'm eagerly awaiting WWII people showing up. Medieval and Romans have all the best clothes, we are just noisy.

"Oi, Ceasar shift it, loaded gun here..."

The Norfolk Park event done at the August Bank Holiday weekend is a mix of all eras from ancient Greece to WW2. Often both the English and American Civil War groups dominate it as they have the most members, but often you get WW2, WW1, Napoleonic, Jacobite, Medieval and Roman as well.

Well done Steve.

They were annoyingly large before, but surely we're not expected to re-size everything on here to make them viewable ?

When is it going to get fixed I wonder ?

I remember going to Bolsover Castle a few years ago to a 1940s re-enactment , on the same weekend

as the lads with the cannons etc [ not sure which era they are ]

It was very strange , we walking around in our WW2 uniforms and singing forties songs and the other

re-enactors blasting off their guns and cannons.

It didn't quite mix somehow.