Thompson Road

Guest TheBotanical

Guest TheBotanical

I was brought up at No 8 Thompson Road, the Choudries lived next door at No. 6. I was wondering, as these are the first two houses on your right as you go up Thompson Road, what happened to No 2 and No 4? Were they knocked down so that Yankies could be built. I'd like to know more of the road too. From what I can gather one of my family was a domestic servant for one of the families that lived in No. 8.

Thompson Road, originally called Drayton Place until 1904. Renamed after Mrs. Elizabeth A Thompson, a member of the Wilson family who owned land in the Ecclesall Rd area. She and her sister Mrs Louisa E Harland, gave a drinking fountain at Hunters Bar in memory of their father, Henry Wilson and their brother Alfred Wilson.

(from Peter Harvey's book)

Mr Reuben Thompson used to run an omnibus from town, and up Ecclesall Road, to the Botanical Gardens - it was running in 1899. Maybe a coincidence. Thompson Road was purely the access lane to the gardens before housing started being built around 1899. On the 1905 map the end nearest Ecclesall Road was called Thompson Road and the other end was Drayton Place. It always started at no 6, presumably the buildings (418, Yankees) on Ecclesall Road were completed just before the ones on the side road, maybe the builder miscalculated?

Gable end of no 6 shown here, no 418 Ecclesall Road was Burgon and Son grocers:

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s19926&prevUrl=

The failing Botanical Gardens were transferred to the Town Trustees in 1898. They put a lot of money into upgrading them, some of which benefitted the bottom entrance at Thompson Road:

Number 10 was occupied by Ernest Judge in 1902. He was manager for Turner's Exors (Limited), pawnbrokers, and he was a witness in court in September 1902, having received scarfpins and signet rings that had been obtained fraudulently.

The 1911 census list is below:

Guest TheBotanical

A HUGE thankyou to all of you. That information was more I had dreamed of. Thankyou once again!