What Are These For

vox

These appeared in the back yard of some flats at Lowedges. I saw a few teams installing them some time ago, but as to whether they are in all the yards, I don't know.

These are the ones at my friends block. The council haven't informed him or his neighbours, as to what their purpose is.

I can't think for the life of me what they're for.

Some form of dustbin lock perhaps

Could be I suppose Neddy, but there are 2 of them and (I think) 4 flats in the block

Also, in the middle of the yard, and in the way of the washing lines, is an odd place to put the bins isn't it ?

I'm sure that Neddy has hit the nail on the head.

They look to be designed to take the handles of two wheely bins arranged back to back.

The pin lock mechanism on the side will allow the jaws to be opened to secure the bins.

Probably being fitted in districts where wheely bins have been moved to front doors and set alight.

HD

Could be I suppose Neddy, but there are 2 of them and (I think) 4 flats in the block

Also, in the middle of the yard, and in the way of the washing lines, is an odd place to put the bins isn't it ?

attachicon.gifPosts (4).jpg

Wait while they put the double yellow lines and no parking signs up :)

Yes they're for the "paper bins" according to the council lady I spoke to a few weeks ago, to stop the kids taking them and setting fire to the paper. Nobody told the her that they are now recycling bins for glass, tin and plastic.

Also they put them all in the wrong places (health and safety they have to be more than 2 metres away from doors and windows). Nobody uses them and the bin men recycling operatives still put the bins back in the wrong place (if they bother to empty them at all).

Situation normal as they say :unsure:

I'm sure that Neddy has hit the nail on the head.

They look to be designed to take the handles of two wheely bins arranged back to back.

The pin lock mechanism on the side will allow the jaws to be opened to secure the bins

Probably being fitted in districts where wheely bins have been moved to front doors and set alight.

HD

Looks like bin locks it probably is then.

Obviously relying on the fact that "bin arsonists" won't be able to work out that they can commit their crimes on the night before bin day.

Yes they're for the "paper bins" according to the council lady I spoke to a few weeks ago, to stop the kids taking them and setting fire to the paper. Nobody told the her that they are now recycling bins for glass, tin and plastic.

Also they put them all in the wrong places (health and safety they have to be more than 2 metres away from doors and windows). Nobody uses them and the bin men recycling operatives still put the bins back in the wrong place (if they bother to empty them at all).

Situation normal as they say :unsure:

I can't see how they will get put back on their posts if my street is anything to go by. I'm lucky to get mine left closer than 10 or 20yds from where they collect it from.

The council wouldn't think or even care about the washing lines, inconsiderate I'd say.

If these are for bins I can't see it working. Who will have the key? the bin men or the house holder.

What happens when it gets lost ? Pay a price or don't get your bins emptied?

And how much is this costing the tax payer for another looney idea?

That's exactly what they are, the handles are put in the top lockable pieces so the bins cannot be moved except by the refuse collectors

Some form of dustbin lock perhaps

That's exactly what they are, the handles are put in the top lockable pieces so the bins cannot be moved except by the refuse collectors

Strange that they didn't think it necessary to inform the tenants. :huh::)

They DID inform the tennants by letter so long before it happened most had forgot :wacko: by the time they turned up and started installing the things. I can also say (as I can see the stupid things from here) that they have still not been used, just another waste of time and money by the council.

No amount of remonstration or common sense from the tenants could be brought to bear on the stupid locations though. I know I tried for over 2 hours with Kier and the council representatives only to be overruled on grounds of health & safety etc (on behalf of the said bewildered tenants.)

We had these locking posts installed over four months ago and to date they have never been used.

You can see what is there that shouldn't be, a pile of builders rubbish, but what is missing from this photo. Taken today.

And if that isn't bad enough, one of them has transported itself across the yard and planted itself against the wall.

And still no official word from the council as to what he's supposed to have been doing with them (or it as it now is). :wacko:

You couldn't make it up. I personally don't find it funny. This is our hard earned money that is being chucked about, seemingly on a whim.

Now just wait for the council to change the bins so they don't fit in the locks. That's guaranteed to be the next move! :rolleyes:

Sounds about right doesn't it.

In my opinion it looks like someone placed the posts in wrong position in the first place (probably had the plan the wrong way around) and secondly I don't think that the binmen will be happy with:

1. Coming into the back yard
  2. Carrying keys
  3. Unlocking the bin
  4. Taking them back to the lorry
  5. Taking the CORRECT bins back to the CORRECT post
  6. Locking the post
  7. Walking back to the lorry

All this in the wind, rain, snow

When all they currently have to do is move the bin from the roadside, empty it and throw it back in some random place.

Coincidence, Markbaby.

I was there today and took these photos. My friend says he's never seen them locked on.