Ikea Store

RichardB

Could the timing be anything to do with the legal challenge by Next against the Council's turning down their superstore in the same area about to come up?

Could the timing be anything to do with the legal challenge by Next against the Council's turning down their superstore in the same area about to come up?

Do we really need an IKEA?

Did you know that the word IKEA is Swedish for "cheap tat"?

Do we really need an IKEA?

Thats probably why Sheffield lags behind Leeds in many situations.

Sheffield Council saying we don't want things, Sheffield needs investment/jobs.

A new IKEA store would

a. remove a huge derelict site in the East End

b. provide jobs for the Sheffield area

c. bring people into the area rather than travelling to IKEA's at Nottingham and Leeds, whilst visiting a new IKEA store they may spend money at a nearby shopping centre or even visit the city centre,

A lot of people shop at IKEA these days so why not have one in Sheffield

Thats probably why Sheffield lags behind Leeds in many situations.

Sheffield Council saying we don't want things, Sheffield needs investment/jobs.

A new IKEA store would

a. remove a huge derelict site in the East End

b. provide jobs for the Sheffield area

c. bring people into the area rather than travelling to IKEA's at Nottingham and Leeds, whilst visiting a new IKEA store they may spend money at a nearby shopping centre or even visit the city centre,

A lot of people shop at IKEA these days so why not have one in Sheffield

Notice you deliberately avoided the other half of my post.

IKEA is Swedish for "cheap tat", - do we really want "cheap tat"?

IKEA is Swedish for "cheap tat", - do we really want "cheap tat"?

There is a difference between Cheapness and Tat

IKEA is very popular, and good value, they are proud of there quality,

I would describe there products as good value and good quality

Have you ever been to one?

There is a difference between Cheapness and Tat

IKEA is very popular, and good value, they are proud of there quality,

I would describe there products as good value and good quality

Have you ever been to one?

No!

I am put off going into shop whose name means "cheap tat!"

If Next win their battle for a site at Meadowhall, it should greatly improve the economy and reputation of Sheffield, ok the transport infrastructure may also need investment but that would possibly be included in the overall package

Aren't you going to ask me how I know that IKEA is Swedish for "cheap tat"?

no, but I'm sure will tell lol

The literal translation of IKEA is IKEA strange enough

IKEA is an acronym: Ingvar Kamprad, Elmtaryd, Agunnaryd. Ingvar Kamprad grew up at Elmtaryd in Agunnaryd.

Richard the Swede.

No!

I am put off going into shop whose name means "cheap tat!"

IKEA is an acronym: Ingvar Kamprad, Elmtaryd, Agunnaryd. Ingvar Kamprad grew up at Elmtaryd in Agunnaryd.

Richard the Swede.

"Richard the Swede"

Down here in Sheffield you would be known as

"Richard the Turnip"

Strange you should say that.

'ugs

Turnip head.

I could ask one of the Swedish people at work ?

"Richard the Swede"

Down here in Sheffield you would be known as

"Richard the Turnip"

Strange you should say that.

'ugs

Turnip head.

I could ask one of the Swedish people at work ?

Well,

Baldrick was always very keen on turnips, - and you always seem to "have a cunning plan"

Whatever we personally think of Ikea, the fact is that significant numbers of people from the Sheffield area are already customers, but have to drive to Leeds, Nottingham etc. to buy their goods. Sheffield Council's usual excuse for not wanting them here is that they would be out-of-town competition for shops in the city centre. If people are willing to drive all that way, the city centre doesn't get that trade anyway, so an Ikea in Sheffield would simply reduce car/delivery journeys, something the Council claims to support.

Apparently the latest tack is that an Ikea near the motorway would cause congestion at junctions. In other words, people would come from other areas to shop in Sheffield, and we wouldn't want that would we?

I'm afraid it's another case of the Council being blackmailed by those with a vested interest in the city centre, some of whom are responsible for the fact that half of it has stood empty for ages.

Apparently the latest tack is that an Ikea near the motorway would cause congestion at junctions. In other words, people would come from other areas to shop in Sheffield, and we wouldn't want that would we?

We've already created that situation about 20 years ago, - it's called Meadowhell. <_<

Whatever we personally think of Ikea, the fact is that significant numbers of people from the Sheffield area are already customers, but have to drive to Leeds, Nottingham etc. to buy their goods. Sheffield Council's usual excuse for not wanting them here is that they would be out-of-town competition for shops in the city centre. If people are willing to drive all that way, the city centre doesn't get that trade anyway, so an Ikea in Sheffield would simply reduce car/delivery journeys, something the Council claims to support.

I'm afraid it's another case of the Council being blackmailed by those with a vested interest in the city centre, some of whom are responsible for the fact that half of it has stood empty for ages.

Here Here! I couldn't have put it better myself!

Napoleon was right. We've become a nation of shopkeepers. Selling someone else's tat.

My sentiments exactly THYLACINE. We have become a nation of shopkeepers.

...and that is a very bad thing for the economy as we have taken away industries which produce stuff that we can SELL to make money, and replaced them with shops where we can only BUY stuff and spend money.

Result, we end up spending more than we are earning, a guaranteed plan to get us into debt. The current situation is not sustainable.

A well known quote by Mr. McCawber, the character in a Dickens novel, about annual income and expenditure comes to mind.

My sentiments exactly THYLACINE. We have become a nation of shopkeepers.

...and that is a very bad thing for the economy as we have taken away industries which produce stuff that we can SELL to make money, and replaced them with shops where we can only BUY stuff and spend money.

Result, we end up spending more than we are earning, a guaranteed plan to get us into debt. The current situation is not sustainable.

A well known quote by Mr. McCawber, the character in a Dickens novel, about annual income and expenditure comes to mind.

That's very true Dave

(extract from CIA World Factbook)

field_listing_on.gif
agriculture: 0.7%
industry: 21.1%
services: 78.2% (2012 est.)

Australia not a lot better

agriculture: 4%

industry: 26.6%

services: 69.4% (2012 est.)

Is that why they call it "The New World"? lol

That's very true Dave

(extract from CIA World Factbook)

field_listing_on.gif
agriculture: 0.7%
industry: 21.1%
services: 78.2% (2012 est.)

Annual income £1, annual expenditure 19 shillings and sixpence, result, happiness

Annual income £1, annual expenditure one pound and sixpence, result, misery.