Sheffield Wednesday

RichardB

This cup, pretty much still in everyday use, dates from Easter 1974, I bought it at Hillsborough Woolworths and yes, it did have an Easter Egg stuck in the top of it lol

Here, freshly posted, is the Cup of '74 before it got broken.

I think they had you there mate - that looks like a leftover Brighton Mug ;-)

How many of these 1974 stars can you name?

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

With a couple or so exceptions, not exactly the best squad of players in Wednesday's history --and certainly not the best manager!

Guest studentbob

Here, freshly posted, is the Cup of '74 before it got broken.

I had one very similar from around the same time or maybe a year or so later, but the figure on mine was taller and thinner - the detail being different but the general image was the same; white shorts, little bit of grass, even the wording "SHEFFIELD WED". I wonder how many unofficial variations were produced.

By the way I was only about 7 at the time and as for remembering players the only ones I knew at the time were Brian Joicey, Eric Potts, Mick Prendergast and my big brother's boyhood hero Tommy Craig (although he had left before my first match).

I had one very similar from around the same time or maybe a year or so later, but the figure on mine was taller and thinner - the detail being different but the general image was the same; white shorts, little bit of grass, even the wording "SHEFFIELD WED". I wonder how many unofficial variations were produced.

By the way I was only about 7 at the time and as for remembering players the only ones I knew at the time were Brian Joicey, Eric Potts, Mick Prendergast and my big brother's boyhood hero Tommy Craig (although he had left before my first match).

I was 10 and that was the season I went to my 1st match the only one I can't remember is the goalie with long hair!

As I remember you had a job on finding any proper Wednesday stuff anywhere but the club shop and even most of that was very poor quality although I do still have my Sheffield Wednesday Lampshade c. 1975!

I was 10 and that was the season I went to my 1st match the only one I can't remember is the goalie with long hair!

As I remember you had a job on finding any proper Wednesday stuff anywhere but the club shop and even most of that was very poor quality although I do still have my Sheffield Wednesday Lampshade c. 1975!

That keeper is the only one I can't remember either. I've checked in Keith Farnsworth's book "Sheffield Wednesday-a complete record 1867-1987" and the only keeper except Peter Springett to play for the first team that season was Bobby Ferguson who they signed on loan from West Ham,and the man in the picture is not him.Must be a reserve who never made it to the first team.

That keeper is the only one I can't remember either. I've checked in Keith Farnsworth's book "Sheffield Wednesday-a complete record 1867-1987" and the only keeper except Peter Springett to play for the first team that season was Bobby Ferguson who they signed on loan from West Ham,and the man in the picture is not him.Must be a reserve who never made it to the first team.

Hi Pc,

He was Alan Paterson. ;-) I'm not sure if he ever played for the 1st team. Springett was the 1st choice for the 1st half of the season replaced by the young Peter Fox! Whatever happened to him?

(Sorry - I posted the surname with a spelling mistake)

Guest owl capone

Hi Pc,

He was Alan Paerson. ;-) I'm not sure if he ever played for the 1st team. Springett was the 1st choice for the 1st half of the season replaced by the young Peter Fox! Whatever happened to him?

His name was Pearson. Wednesday signed him during a crisis when all our keepers were injured or ill. He actually played in the Sunday Regional league for Woodseats. He did play in the 1st team but i can't remember which game

Guest owl capone

His name was Pearson. Wednesday signed him during a crisis when all our keepers were injured or ill. He actually played in the Sunday Regional league for Woodseats. He did play in the 1st team but i can't remember which game

further to Dunsbyowls post Peter Fox was the young pretender. He made his debut ,I think, aged 15 against Bristol city which was played on a Sunday. He looked as though he wou;d be a world beater , Then got "usurped" by another young gun A kid called Chris Turner. Saw him make his debut in a 5-2 win away at Cambridge in a pre season tournement The Shipp Cup in 76.

I think Fox went on to play for Stoke