Kia Pte Thackey Koyli Great War

LaviniaGee

I was looking at a thread Sheffield Soldiers killed in the great war surnames m-z, but as the topic is now closed and I can't add to it. Hope it's ok to post here...

I just wanted to add a memorial postcard I have of Pte Frank Thackery who was killed in action 4th Sept 1917, just in case his family searches for it!

I was left the postcard by by Grand-aunt, who's brother, Ernest Whitaker, was also a KOYLI. I'm assuming that Pte Thackery was a dear friend of my Grand-uncle.

Guest Trefcon

The cross to the left of Frank's (A.13 Railway Chateau Cemetery), belonged to 12/2204 Frederick Squires (A.14 RCC), of Dewsbury, also killed same day as Frank and Frederick was F. Elliott (A.15 RCC), of Rotherham.

To say I was stunned when I saw this photo is an understatement. Frank was the first husband of Flory Store, my sons' great grandmother, whom he married just five months before he was killed, and two months before his only child was born (killee in WWII.) knew he had been killed in WWI but every so often I Google his name to see if there is new information, which is how I came across your post. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to upload Frank's picture and I'm very grateful to your Uncle Ernest for remembering his friend.