Newhall Road

Stuart0742

Whilst compiling the Beerhouse data from various Directories, I have noticed that Newhall Road is described as Attercliffe and also Brightside.

So I ask the question Newhall Road Attercliffe or Brightside?

Doesn't Newhall Rd run from Attercliffe at one end, to Brightside at the other ?

So it could depend on which end of Newhall Road then

So it could depend on which end of Newhall Road then

I've been looking for some information about the boundaries around there, but I can't find anything that shows them clearly. It seems that Newhall Road runs from Attercliffe to "technically" Grimesthorpe, although it does cross Brightside Lane.

Guest Mike Grist

Newhall Road also crosses the River Don, so maybe that's the natural boundary?

Attercliffe one side of the Don, and Brightside on the other?

Newhall Road also crosses the River Don, so maybe that's the natural boundary?

Attercliffe one side of the Don, and Brightside on the other?

Makes sense

Whilst compiling the Beerhouse data from various Directories, I have noticed that Newhall Road is described as Attercliffe and also Brightside.

So I ask the question Newhall Road Attercliffe or Brightside?

I have a Borough map of 1885 and the Don is the boundary between the Brightside Ward and Attercliffe Ward. Since the actual "Newhall" was over the river in the Brightside Ward, the road to it started in the Attercliffe Ward. So it's both!

From 1845 Whites Directory:

BRIGHTSIDE BIERLOW township comprises 2680 acres, and, in 1841, had 10,089 inhabitants. It includes the villages of Grimesthorpe, Brightside, Neepsend, Pitsmoor, and Crabtree: the seats of New Hall, Burngreave, Norwood, Shircliffe, Firs Hill, Wood Hill, &c.; the woods of Wincobank, Hall Carr, Cook, Old Park, &c., and those populous suburbs of Sheffield, called the Wicker, Nursery, and Bridgehouses, lying on the left bank of the Don....

I suspect it's a bit like 'where's the boundary between Crookes and Walkley'. there are ward boundaries but locals have their own ideas.

My grandma was born at 221 Newhall Road in 1886,her birth certificate describes it as Attercliffe.

SheffieldRecordsOnline has it 99% as Attercliffe, I suggest we stick with that.

There is a mystery entry for William Gordon, in 1893, Boot & Shoe maker, listed as 11 Newhall Street, Snig Hill !

SheffieldRecordsOnline has it 99% as Attercliffe, I suggest we stick with that.

There is a mystery entry for William Gordon, in 1893, Boot & Shoe maker, listed as 11 Newhall Street, Snig Hill !

Yes, Newhall Street was at the end of Snig Hill. An ancestor had the New Hall Tavern / Sportsman Inn on the corner with Bridge Street

With your input and hindsight of course it was. Therefore the question changes, why only one entry for Newhall Street, Snig Hill ? There are other entries for low numbered houses ... though some just say Newhall Street.

Yes, Newhall Street was at the end of Snig Hill. An ancestor had the New Hall Tavern / Sportsman Inn on the corner with Bridge Street

attachicon.gifNewhall Street 1853.png