Caravan ?

RichardB

Never towed anything, ever. What's with caravans ? How quickly will I finish myself off/kill someone else ? What do I need to consider please ?

It's possible to have lessons in towing a caravan. The CCC will probably have details. Personally I think I'd prefer a camper van. They come in all shapes and sizes.

How old is the van you are thinking of buying? How big etc? PLENTY to consider but a lot depends on how big and how old and what you will be towing it with.

It isn't caravans that slow things up these days, you can more than keep up with traffic on A Roads and you can do 60 on Dual carriageways and Motorways where those wanting to go faster can easily overtake.

Don't dare! there are enough of the ******* on the way to the coast anyway!

It's the idiots who pull out in front of you thinking they will get held up and then drive at a speed slower than you were doing and hold every one else up.

Go for it it's great but as said make sure your caravan matches the towing capabilities of your car.

Richard,

I would counsel against it. There is a long history of fatal accidents associated with caravans:

I personally wouldn't have a caravan. I've seen the results of two accidents. The first was on the M5 on a busy holiday Saturday. Traffic was stopped because a lorry had swiped the side of the van, tearing it completely off, and scattering the owners' belongings all over the carriageway. The other was on the way north from the ferry at Portsmouth. The car and van in front were on a long sweeping curve on a dual carriageway when the van went out of control and rolled down an embankment, taking the car and occupants with it. Both ended up upside down in a field. Fortunately the occupants weren't seriously hurt.

The car and the caravan have lived together for a few years, they have made it a few times from Hexham to the north of the Isle of Skye, however, that was with an experienced driver ... not an idiot.

Go for it it's great but as said make sure your caravan matches the towing capabilities of your car.

Check tyres (condition, pressure, and nuts - both van and vehicle), Check overall weights, check the van is packed in a balanced way with the heavy stuff over the axle as much as possible.

If you have a fridge cool it down by plugging it into the mains at home overnight if you can - then fill it full of Beer - you can always eat out so won't need room for food :)

Practical advice !

Check tyres (condition, pressure, and nuts - both van and vehicle), Check overall weights, check the van is packed in a balanced way with the heavy stuff over the axle as much as possible.

If you have a fridge cool it down by plugging it into the mains at home overnight if you can - then fill it full of Beer - you can always eat out so won't need room for food :)

Richard,

I would counsel against it. There is a long history of fatal accidents associated with caravans:

attachicon.gifCaravan Danger 1831.png

I bet that loud mouthed, arrogant, smug, self opinionated, self righteous big head who thinks he knows everything about cars and motoring wouldn't approve of caravans either.

(Yes Stuart, - I am referring to Jeremy Clarkson!)

I bet that loud mouthed, arrogant, smug, self opinionated, self righteous big head who thinks he knows everything about cars and motoring wouldn't approve of caravans either.

(Yes Stuart, - I am referring to Jeremy Clarkson!)

Jeremy, my hero :P

I do have the option of borrowing a small camper van almost any time I like (subject to getting insurance; cost peanuts).

Jeremy, my hero :P

Your so called hero thinks I should be dragged out of my house and shot in the street in front of my family because as a teacher I once went on strike over pay & conditions.

Obviously Mr. Arrogant & self opinionated forgets that when he worked as a local journalist in Doncaster many years ago he also went on strike over pay 7 conditions.

Surely then he deserves the same punishment

Oh sorry, I forgot! He's one of those people who is pretty good at dishing out the put downs, - but can't take it when someone does it back.

...and if he is to be shot, just give me the gun!

Your so called hero thinks I should be dragged out of my house and shot in the street in front of my family because as a teacher I once went on strike over pay & conditions.

Obviously Mr. Arrogant & self opinionated forgets that when he worked as a local journalist in Doncaster many years ago he also went on strike over pay 7 conditions.

Surely then he deserves the same punishment

Oh sorry, I forgot! He's one of those people who is pretty good at dishing out the put downs, - but can't take it when someone does it back.

...and if he is to be shot, just give me the gun!

Not a fan then Dave?

Not a fan then Dave?

I think you could say that Bayleaf, - but we have had this discussion on here before as I am no fan of any of the Top Gear presenters.

Clarkson is by far the worst,

May is just an overgrown mummy boy who still plays with his toys, - he seriously needs to grow up, - perhaps he should get a girlfriend or something.

Hammond can be OK, if given the right program to present and comes across as more of a nice guy, but he is wasted on Top Gear

Stig is like one of those old Saturday Teatime masked wrestlers who wouldn't reveal who they were until they were beaten. It about time someone gave him 3 falls 2 submissions and a knockout and took his helmet off.

He's a neighbour and friend of David Cameron and Rebecca Brooks, doesn't the man suffer enough? :wacko:

Definitely my hero now lol

(waits reply from Dave)

He's a neighbour and friend of David Cameron and Rebecca Brooks, doesn't the man suffer enough? :wacko:

Not clear who "he" is Bayleaf.

Do you mean Clarkson, May, Hammond or Stig?

Definitely my hero now lol

(waits reply from Dave)

Just need some clarification from Bayleaf Stuart.

I could of course pass comment on what I think of David Cameron and Rebecca Brooks, - but I don't think my views on those two differ much from those of anyone else.

Not clear who "he" is Bayleaf.

Do you mean Clarkson, May, Hammond or Stig?

Clarkson. He is/was one of the 'set', though I understand he now has a converted lighthouse on the Isle of Man. There was some to-do after he moved in because he wanted to divert a public footpath that passed too close to the house.