HILLSBOROUGH - UNCOVERED KOP

Sheffield History

Always used to stand right at the back just in front of the scoreboard. Over the years got rain, snow, sleet, hail and gale force winds thrown at me but a ton of happy memories.

Guest David Daft

Post your memories of standing on the uncovered kop in all weathers singing your hearts out !!

Love the site, love the nostalgia!!!

Somebody from the Sheffield Forum sent me here to look at the picture of the uncovered kop. What a fantastic shot! Aaahh...the memories! Wrote a bit about it here

Cheers,

David.

Great stuff - thanks David and thanks for joining the site

Feel free to help us out by contributing more of your memories and pictures as it's the members that make this site so good

Does anyone remember these badges I can recall a guy selling them at the top of Leppings Lane on the day of the game I can't remember how much he was charging but he was selling plenty just wondered if anyone else out there has any.

Good picture !

I don't remember them but will have seen them on the day no doubt.

Wonder how much they are worth these days ?

Came across this ariel photo of Hillsborough from 1961 showing the Uncovered Kop along with the newley built North Stand.

B) As a young girl my dad used to take me to most home matches on the kop and the atmosphere was absolutely unforgettable there were that many packed in there you never felt the cold ,rain,sleet,snow etc what good fun especially when a goal was scored you either jumped along with the rest of the crowd or got ya toes stood on lol. I recently took my son to a match on the kop but he wasnt impressed at having to sit down and much prefered to be further round the corner near the back where he can stand up

Guest The General

Post your memories of standing on the uncovered kop in all weathers singing your hearts out !!

Whats that on the top left? A scoreboard?

The General

Whats that on the top left? A scoreboard?

The General

You must be a young pup if you do not remember the Electronic Scoreboard. It was installed for the World Cup in 1966 and was quite ahead of its time.

Guest The General

I was born in 73

started at Hillsborough seriously around 1980...Was it there then?

The General

Two interesting pics from ' The Owl ' Magazine which was around during the 80s showing the Uncovered Kop and also an Ad showing the proposed plans for the roof check out the crowd capacity before and after completion.

The Kop pic probably goes some way to answering The General's question regarding the Kop's electronic scoreboard in the 80s looks like its gone.

Guest fredmciverslovechild

The number of times I got soaked standing on that bloody thing!

It was a wonderful place to stand if it was a decent day but if it was wet and windy it was effing awful. The wind used to whip through the gap between the West and South Stands and drive the rain straight into your face. Putting the roof on gave it an absolutely fantastic atmosphere particularly in those great days of the early 1990's!

The electronic scoreboard was built for the 1966 World Cup. The main scoreboard (one of those A, B, C, D type things) used to be on the roof of the old Leppings Lane cover but when that was demolished for the World Cup they decided to go for the electronic scoreboard which was actually a world's first. It was fine to start with but one of the problems was it was never finished; it was permanently held up by scaffolding poles. And then the bulbs all started to fail and we evidently didn't have the money (in the late 1970's and down in Division Three) to replace them so it got dismantled....

By the way, when the North Stand was completed in 1962 Eric Taylor's blueprint for the Wednesday ground of the future was to have the stand roof taken right the way round the ground creating a totally covered 40,000 capacity ground. I remember that there was a picture in The Star of a model of the blueprint which the club had. It would have been a fantastic ground if they had built it like that and when it's remembered that Taylor was heavily criticised in the late 1960's for ground improvements at the expense of the team and the grants we got for improvements for the World Cup it's surprising it was never built. Hillsborough would certainly have been a very different place if we had done that.

Guest owl capone

The scoreboard became quite funny towards the end of its life and most people looked forward to the half time scores appearing with mis-spelt names.

CUNTHORPE and FRIMSBY were the two most commomn cock ups.Sheffield United was always spelt P_I_G_S ,suppose they had to get something right!!!

hehehe when I used to go as a young lad with my Dad in the early and mid 70's the scoreboard provided the half time entertainment!

It was totally useless and eveything was misspelt or had letters missing.

Well, it was more entertaining than the football!

Guest jeyre60152

My outstanding memory as a young lad, is standing on the Kop for a night game, (I think against Everton in the 70's) and being absolutely gobsmacked as to how full the whole ground was. If I remember rightly it was a record crowd at the time.

If anyone can confirm this memory for me that would be great as the old grey matter is not as good as it used to be!!

My outstanding memory as a young lad, is standing on the Kop for a night game, (I think against Everton in the 70's) and being absolutely gobsmacked as to how full the whole ground was. If I remember rightly it was a record crowd at the time.

If anyone can confirm this memory for me that would be great as the old grey matter is not as good as it used to be!!

That must have been the League Cup tie against Everton in 1977/78 when we were in the old Third Division. I think we got over 30,000 that night but can't be too sure.....will check my records later!

Guest tsavo

That must have been the League Cup tie against Everton in 1977/78 when we were in the old Third Division. I think we got over 30,000 that night but can't be too sure.....will check my records later!

Maybe a question that everyone but me knows the answer to, but what is the official crowd record?

It was around 78,000 I think, for a cup match against Man City in the 1930's.

My grandad went and he told me that they were passing women and children over the crowds heads down to the front of the Kop because of the crush. I don't remember him saying anything about people being injured though.

I was posting at the same time as Jeyre. His figure sounds more accurate.

That's because his figure IS accurate!

The Everton game, by the way, was on 29 November 1977 and the crowd was 36,079.....