Firth Park Comp Anyone ?

Guest Trefcon

Guest Trefcon

Yeah, after Firshill to Firth Park in 74/5? Left on a Friday 1979 (May) and on the Monday straight into Welco Cutting Services at the back of the Studio 5,6,7, !

First class with a Mrs. Winters, my mom and dads friend !! At our house for a sandwich every Saturday night !!

I can still remember my first day there and my last, will expand if any interest.

I was Chair of Governors for a couple of years whilst you were at Firshill and a Governor of Firth Park... I wonder if your name ever came up at Governor's meetings?

Firth Park Comprehensive? It just doesn't roll off the tongue like Firth Park Grammar.

Or just 'The Redcaps'? I remember King Edwards was always 'King Ted's', but did any of the other schools have a nickname?

Sometimes we "redcaps" were known as "blood-nuts",...De La Salle were sometimes known as "catlights", but I can't think that any of the others had nick-names

Hi Dodger23

Thanks for your post of 1st March 2015. I am relatively new to the site. I was surprised to see that  I was in the photo of the KitKat girls. My cousin was playing Sally Bowles and apparently there was a shortage of 6th formers to play the dancers so I was asked to join the group. (I was then almost 26!)

I had attended Hatfieldhouse Lane/Firth Park some years earlier and remember John Jackson very well. He did his final teaching practice during my time at Hatfield and as part of his 'dissertation' he reconditioned and rebuilt an organ from a church that was about to be demolished - I don't know if it is still there. He continued there as music teacher.

As you say in your blog - he didn't mince his words.

I also played Yvette in Mother Courage (it does appear as though I was being typecast here) He said I would have to sing. I told Mr Jackson that I couldn't sing. He told me not to worry as he would assess my voice and create a song using only the notes I could sing. After a very brief assessment he announced - 'You're right! You can't sing! But thats ok as you're supposed to be drunk so no-one will notice!'  - You had to love him!