Butlers Cafe Demolished

duckweed

Just heard the news that due to the collapse of a house in the block the whole block is due for demolition including Bishops Cafe where Picasso drew a peace dove on a napkin.

I am confused as to why you were confused.

They are assessing whether or not the whole block has to go.

As Edmund's link doesn't work, does anyone know what caused the upper floor and wall to cave in on itself like that?

Worked earlier.

What kind of idiot removes a retaining wall, deserves jail for endangering lives.

As Edmund's link doesn't work, does anyone know what caused the upper floor and wall to cave in on itself like that?

They must have been working on the front wall, looks like the floor joists ran from back to front, remove the support under the front wall the floors collapsed,

Not a bad demolition job, neat and tidy :)

Guest plain talker

Worked earlier.

What kind of idiot removes a retaining wall, deserves jail for endangering lives.

looking at the mess made of the building, some corner-cutting idiot who knows nothing about accroes and RSJ's, it would seem.

Perfect description of me. but I've nothing to gain from it.

looking at the mess made of the building, some corner-cutting idiot who knows nothing about accroes and RSJ's, it would seem.

A few years ago it was the unofficial HQ for Sheffield 's ruling Labour Party.... when the late Coun.George Wilson was leader and he regularly "dined" there with his invitees. Happy memories!

Couldn't believe the size of the pies they had in the window @1985-and probably many years earlier.

I wonder what Steve [ Butler ] would think if he saw this now, he'd turn in his grave.

I once asked him why he lived in such broken down property when he could afford better and he said

" if it was good enough for my father then it is good enough for me . "

His father was a cockney who was born in the workhouse, he moved to Sheffield to get his first job.

Steve was eventually talked into moving to Barnsley near his son David although David now lives in

Southhampton.

Guest plain talker

Only last week, my father and I were talking about Butler's Cafe, (before all this gubbins happened!)

Dad said that he and his younger brother really disliked the school lunch that was served on a Monday, at their school in Crookesmoor.

They would take their 2d and go over to Butlers and have a MASSIVE nosh-up there with a pie for main course, and a steamed pudding for dessert.

attachicon.gifButler's Cafe Staff.jpg

My Grandmother used to work at Butler's Cafe on Brook Hill. Here's a photo of the staff!

Sorry but they are to clean to be Buffer Girls,their clothes are to good too, no offence there but buffing is a flthy job.

Dove

Just heard the news that due to the collapse of a house in the block the whole block is due for demolition including Bishops Cafe where Picasso drew a peace dove on a napkin.