Coates Houses Greenland

kevstones

In the 1851 and 61 census I have relatives living in Coates Houses Greenland in the district of Attercliffe cum Darnall.

I can't seem to find any info on what these houses were. I assume they were near what is now Greenland Rd and in 1851 it would have been a hamlet that later was swallowed up by Attercliffe and Darnall as it expanded, but that's just a guess.

Any info would be appreciated .... Kevin

William Nixon, ABT 1822 - 1897 Index

Date: 1861
Place: Coal Miner/Attercliffe and Darnall, Yorkshire, England

Residence:
Date: 1891
Place: Peacock Row -- William Nixon 69 Anis Nixon 65/Tinsley, Yorkshire, England

Residence:
Date: 1881
Place: Peacock Row -- William Nixon 60 Anise Nixon 56 Charles Nixon 20 Frederick Nixon 14 Betsy E. Stevens 5/Tinsley, Yorkshire, England

Residence:
Date: 1861
Place: Coates Houses -- William Nixon 38 Annice Nixon 36 Martha Nixon 15 George Nixon 11 Henry Nixon 3 Charles Nixon 3 MO/Attercliffe and Darnall, Yorkshire, England

Residence:
Date: 1851
Place: Greenland -- William Nixon 29 Anis Nixon 26 Martha Jane Nixon 5 George Nixon 2/Attercliffe Cum Darnall, Yorkshire, England

Source

Looking at page 1 of the 1841 census it appears that the census taker walked up one side of Worksop Road from Attercliffe right to the other end in Darnall at Catcliffe Road and back again. So, it appears that Coates Houses were on Worksop Road at the Attercliffe end of the road. Since 1841 part of Worksop Rd has been renamed Darnall Main Rd

Kevin

I have relatives in the 1861 census John Nixon and his wife Emma living at Coates House Greenland.

I have scoured the internet, old maps.com etc but I cannot find any info about these houses

1871 / 1881 John and Emma Nixon are in Huntsmans Houses off Broughton Lane because he had come out of the army and now was a miner. Later these houses were called Butty's Lump.

On the 1861 census the registrar has gone to Freedham Hill (Possibly Freedom as he couldn't spell). There's also Freedom Houses, Tinsley Park Road etc

I can track his steps from High Street which is now Attercliffe Road I assume > Deakins House > Broughton Court Carbrook > Pheasant House > Clifton Road > Providence Place > Broughton Lane > Sorby Street > Broughton Lane > Huntsman's Houses > Canal Side > Broughton Lane > Swing Bridge > Greenland Cottage > Fisherman's Rest Beer House > Tinsley Park Road > Freedom House > Freedom Hill and finally Coates House

If anyone can help then I would be grateful

Kevin

I did find it in the end after I had made this topic. Getting too old for this. Put Coates Houses in the search box and it came up with nothing, so I thought I had dreamt up that I had previously asked about this subject.

Still cannot find anything out. Your link last time led to a directory that stated that the Coates Houses existed and led you back to where I started, the census. I have just been trying to locate their whereabouts with the clues and see if they are on any old maps

Kevin

I came across this photo in picture sheffield and it adds another clue to where Coates Houses were. I believe that Darnall main Road used to be called Worksop Road. Now only the lower part is around the Don Valley Stadium. But, Freedom Houses / Hill was mentioned in 1851 and 1861 census. This is the blurb from the website:

Basford Street and rear of Nos 289-299, which front to Darnall Road (this terrace of six houses originally comprised Freedom Hill with Darnall Cottage, of which the gable end can be seen)

picturesheffield s14838

And yet another clue in my search for Coates Houses, Greenland. The census taker was on Broughton Lane and took the names of the cottages at the Canal Side. He then went on to Greenland, and you have to remember this is 1861 and its open fields and farms. He includes Barbers Farm then Coates Houses, Hinches Houses and Hodkins House in Pottery Lane

If I could find the Pottery Lane I may be able to locate Coates Houses

Keep trying .... Kevin

Another tiny piece which may or may not get you nearer.

James DUTCHMAN
.Residence: 1871 Hinches Houses 65, Freedom Hill, Attercliffe cum Darnall, Yorkshire

ancestry.com/

Kev,

Hope the map below may help - it shows Broughton Lane and Canalside cottages at far northeast, Attercliffe Pottery at centre north, with Pothouse Lane (Pottery Lane) running northwest-southeast

My own view based on looking at the 1861 census, is that Coates Houses were /was next door to Greenland Cottage (the Listers lived there) which was by the swing bridge. Later on (1886) Greenland Cottage was stated as being on Greenland Road. But I'm not sure which crossing of the canal had the swing bridge - presumably the Broughton Lane bridge?