Crookesmoor School W.w.1 Roll Of Honour Memorial Postcard

Guest Trefcon

Literally just secured here in Sheffield where it belongs ! Thanks again for the heads-up Richard, much appreciated.

OK Toots, enjoy. Now, where's the scan ? lol

Literally just secured here in Sheffield where it belongs ! Thanks again for the heads-up Richard, much appreciated.

Guest Trefcon

When it arrives matey, well chuffed getting this.

I did contact the seller and he promised me a list of the names on it after bidding wether I won or not which I thought was above and beyond the call of duty !!

Glad to have an 'original' though.

Guest Trefcon

As promised -

Summat wrong though -

KEDIE. FRED

not on CWGC

There is a medal card for a William F. Kedie, # 3623 York & Lancs, # 517935 Labour Corps, # GS/126178 Royal Fusiliers.

1911 census - there is a William Frederick Kedie aged 12 living at 20ct 4 h Hammond street with his mother and stepfather.

Then a death for a William F. Kedie at Sheffield in the Jul/Aug/Sep Qtr in 1954 aged 56 years.

So wounded or ill with the Y&L / hence the Labour Corps, then recovered, to the Royal Fus.

So quite possibly didn't perish !

Harold Smith mentioned on the memorial was my great uncle he was killed on the first day of Passchendaele

Sydney Smith may also be related but I have not made the connection yet.

Is it possible to use the image for my family history?

Was Harold wounded in 1916?  Corporal Harold P Smith of 90 Western Road was wounded in July 1916 and recuperated in Birmingham. Before the war he had been employed by Sir Joseph Jonas, Colver and Co.Ltd, was secretary of the Hillsborough Hockey Club and lived at 223 Springvale Road.  Below is a newspaper page from 1916 with this Harold's photograph (at bottom right).  Apologies if it's the incorrect Harold.

1421844439_HaroldSmith1916.thumb.jpg.d8c5367ef364a1de2fded7af8aa687c5.jpg

Thanks for the info but it is not the Harold Smith I previously mentioned.

No apologies required.

Harold Smith 1895-1917.JPG

Hi

I have only just come across this.  I’m fairly sure that Harry & Henry Ellis are relatives of mine.  The Ellis family is prolific, so it will take me some time to figure out which branch they are on in the family tree.  My dad, Leslie Ellis, also went to this school in the 1930’s and I worked there in an office on Oxford Road side in 1995-98.

Thanks for sharing

Hi

i hope I have the wrong end of the stick here but this thread suggests that the board is in the public domain and was sold privately.

as the last head of crookesmoor I was assured that this board was going to be held by the Council until an appropriate location was to be found.

apologies if I have misunderstood