Challenge - Describe In Just One Sentence....

Sheffield History

You've got one sentence to describe Sheffield when you were growing up - but it must be a landmark, building, club, pub or place

E.g. in the 1980's you might say 'Roxys'

Over to you.....

Endcliffe park, hunting out the memorial to the ten airmen that died there while nan sat having a cup of tea in the little cafe.

Guest carlie167

Rag 'n Tag and playing in bombed out buildings.

Yes, I know that's two things but that's exactly what Sheffield means to me.

Lying awake in bed, in the "small hours" of a dark, cold, wet, December morning, listening to the shrill, mournful whistles of heavily loaded, steam hauled, freight trains, as they called for the "right of way", followed by the frenzied dancing sounds of their wheels, as they desparately struggled to gain traction on the wet, slippery rails.

[i would have been about 5 - 6 years old at the time and the sidings from which those trains were starting, could have been anywhere within the Woodhouse, Rotherwood, Orgreave, Beighton area].

Walking with my Grandad from Brightside along the River Don and struck by awe at the power of the Brightside Wier on our way to visit "swop shops" in Attercliffe, him stopping for a pint and his pipe, me a bottle of pop and a bag of crisps at a little pub dwarfed by gigantic dark satanic steelworks. :-)

Living and growing up at Firth Park my abiding memory is of the "clanking" of the trams...especially on a hot and sleepless summer night!

Sunday mornings, aged 3 - 4 yrs, going with my lovely granddad from our house on Hamilton Rd to the Pavilion refreshment rooms (now known as the Clock Tower) Firth Park to buy a sherbert dab.

Firth Park was a lovely, peaceful & clean place back then.

Lyn

Circa 1967/68 riding an old ES2 Norton on a Saturday morning out through the leafy lanes of Dore & Totley heading for Fox House, Baslow, Castleton or Stoney Middleton, still with a lot of growing up and a lot of living to do.

Walking from Firth Park to the railway lines at Brightside and back, to pick up coal during the very early fifties.