Relatives On The Titanic

Guest busy lizzy

Guest busy lizzy

I am a keen researcher of all things Titanic and I am really interested to know if anyone had any relatives that were on the Titanic and any family stories connected to them

I did read an article in The Star that said one of the officers on the Titanic,Henry Tingle Wilde was from Bradfield,are there any relatives of him who have any stories?.

I've seen the grave of Henry Tingle Wilde in the old graveyard at Loxley Cemetery. It's near the old roadway just below the derelict building. Good luck finding it, the graveyard is overgrown and in a disgusting state.

I have never understood all the long-lived interest in the Titanic. There have been far greater losses of life at sea and many in more tragic circumstances. Could it be the sole reason is that so many rich people died and it was the ships maiden voyage?

As recently as 1987 some 4,341 souls were lost when the Dona Paz sank and, perhaps the most tragic of all, was the wartime sinking, in 1945, of the Wilhelm Gustloff with the loss of 9,400 lives....mainly German civilians being evacuated from East Prussia.

Guest busy lizzy

I've seen the grave of Henry Tingle Wilde in the old graveyard at Loxley Cemetery. It's near the old roadway just below the derelict building. Good luck finding it, the graveyard is overgrown and in a disgusting state.

Thats a shame

All grave yards seem to end up in this condition

Thanks for the warning

I have never understood all the long-lived interest in the Titanic. There have been far greater losses of life at sea and many in more tragic circumstances. Could it be the sole reason is that so many rich people died and it was the ships maiden voyage?

As recently as 1987 some 4,341 souls were lost when the Dona Paz sank and, perhaps the most tragic of all, was the wartime sinking, in 1945, of the Wilhelm Gustloff with the loss of 9,400 lives....mainly German civilians being evacuated from East Prussia.

It is an interest I have always had,it is not just about the rich that died on the Titanic by any means,to be honest I am more interested in the steerage passengers.They were on that ship with all their worldly goods,giving up everything they knew to start a new life in America,What courage that was and then to die without realising their dreams.I know there have been bigger tragedies and they are just as awful.Titanic was the sinking that shocked everyone because they believed it was unsinkable,they had a rude awakening and man was never as confident again.

Guest busy lizzy

Thanks for all that information Richard

I was not aware of this thread

It has been fascinating to hear of the Sheffield connection