View of Sheffield

dunsbyowl1867

Unusual view of cover of Mary Walton's Book on history of Sheffield ( Well worth getting hold of).

Published in 1948.

Note space in front of City Hall - where Cole Brothers would move to.

No Crucible and lots of old buildings in lower Norfolk Street,

Is that a big hotel next to the City Hall - the Grand?

Is that a church in bottom left corner - St James?

What is the big brick building in the middle of the triangle of buildings on the bottom left ?

Any other interesting points?

Guest tsavo

Unusual view of cover of Mary Walton's Book on history of Sheffield ( Well worth getting hold of).

Published in 1948.

Note space in front of City Hall - where Cole Brothers would move to.

No Crucible and lots of old buildings in lower Norfolk Street,

Is that a big hotel next to the City Hall - the Grand?

Is that a church in bottom left corner - St James?

What is the big brick building in the middle of the triangle of buildings on the bottom left ?

Any other interesting points?

Not sure about the church. It appears to be about where the old Playhouse Theatre was. The triangular building is the original Telephone House on West Street. Think this is either late 40s or early 50s as there appears to be bomb damage at the top of Townhead Street. I have labeled some of the streets to help any younger members get their bearings. Hope this helps.

Guest plain talker

the triangular building at the bottom of the photograph (touched by the beginning of the words "the sheffield telegraph) is what became steel city house Jobcentre.

I can see the old Gaumont cinema, just beside the site where coles was to be built, and yes, the strange white building "beside" the city hall, is, indeed the Grand Hotel.

Crikey! doesn't the Town Hall Look filthy? this definitely was pre the "clean air act!"

Not sure about the church. It appears to be about where the old Playhouse Theatre was. The triangular building is the original Telephone House on West Street. Think this is either late 40s or early 50s as there appears to be bomb damage at the top of Townhead Street. I have labeled some of the streets to help any younger members get their bearings. Hope this helps.

Thanks for that - that's a help for us young ones! Re that Church I think it is St James here is a photo looking down West Street.