Emmanuel Church Roll Of Honour

Guest Trefcon

Guest Trefcon

Many thanks to RichardB for 'rediscovering' this, it's been there 70 years!

Emmanuel Church was damaged in 1940 I believe, demolished not long after. The roll of honour, (description in Cannon Odom's book, Local Studies if you haven't got a copy) has laid there since. I was aware of it and had seen an old photo of it.

To cut to the chase, on RichardB's 'rediscovery', I put in place a 'rescue plan' to secure it for later generations. After contacting various local and national institutions/museums, who didn't want to know etc, I contacted the 'Mother Church', the Cathedral. Email back saying 'not interested' try St Albans, which I did. Fantsatic response from them and now hopefully 'sorted' !

Shame on you Sheffield Cathedral, the phone conversation I had today, after an earlier email, from a very impatient man in a very senior position does you no favours at all !!

The details are now 'secure', so if it now disappears then so be it.

I've been biting my tongue so long on this I've finally got all the way through.

Shocking no-one can be bothered. I'd drive down, pick it up and deliver it myself if someone had a suitable place where it would get the respect and interest it deserves.

Guest Trefcon

10.30am this morning at St Albans, memorial to be moved there, also some sort of 'ceremony', I'll be there with camera.

Guest Trefcon

Roll of Honour now 'saved' and relocated to St Albans.

It's now in the secure rear garden leaning against the old Vicarage back wall. They will improve it's surroundings in time.

Guest Trefcon

Thanks guys, the church is also going to use the memorial as the focal point in their annual armistice service etc.

Peter, about 3 weeks ago I was told by one of the family member's that they had a DNA sample taken and sent off for analysis, we await further news.

Dean.