Paul Worrall

Hurlfield School For Boys

I'm glad this topic is starting to take off a bit and old ex Hurlfield students are starting to contribute to it.

It is a topic I have being trying to get some interest in for some time, having started a very successful topic on my own school (Norfolk), my 6th form school (Ashleigh) and having contributed bits to topics on Frechville, Newfield, Rowlinson, Gleadless Valley, Thornbridge and now Hurlfield.

It has always been a long term aim to have a successful, well established topic on every Sheffield school.

Many thanks to the Hurlfield lads who have contributed to and are helping make this school topic a success,

Now, for a Norfolk lad to be thanking and complimenting some Hurlfielders, there's something!

Just been looking around the web and found out that Mr. Houdmont was still alive in 2010 aged 98!

And a photo from 1969 of kids outside the West Wing.

http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/hurlfield-school-photo/Memory/b79070b6-3116-467c-8b7c-b621698f8de4

The link is now dead due to the fact Friends Reunited has now closed down.

Can anybody remember Hurlfield Sch for Boys in the mid to late 60's? I was a student between 1963-68. First most of this time Mr Egerton was the Headteacher until he became ill when I was in the 4th Yr. (1967)

Wazzie Worrall.

Hi Paul.

I was at Hurlfield Boys from 1961 to 1967 in fact I do remember youre name although to be honest, can't put a face to it.

I'm Philip Burgin, 11+ failure from Manor Lane Primary !!

Teachers I recall over the years I was there?

Head was Leonard Egerton for most of the time, retired about '65 to Cornwall due to il health. Great guy, teacher and friendly. Anybody reading this used to go for his 20 Embassy cigs to the shopping centre for him? Or was it just me?

He was replaced by silver haired head called Houdmont, different style altogether. The deputy to Egerton was called Lupton, moustached and about 6' 6" tall.

There was Stuart Greenhough for geography, Bill (evil git) Machin for PE,Peter Hartley, English; Taffy Morgan for RE but he was replaced by another Hartley; Brian Standing for Tech Drawing; Peter Jennings (always wore suede shoes) for science then when it was splitb into Physics with separate chemistry for O Levels, there was a Mr Deardon; Woodwork was an old guy called Clifford Thorpe; Mr Ellis taught music in the room on the landing above the front staircase; Brian Turton looked after the library and taught English; Jack Crawshaw maths in the very end room on the top corridor.

Pupils I recall?

Steve (Sam) Rhodes, Andy Tucker, Michael Money; Tassos Severis (now I believe a teacher in Nottingham), Steven Wilkinson, David Curley, Michael Kearney (used to live in the prefabs that were demolished by the gales), Michael Oldale, Michael Rodgers, Steven Lomax, Peter Skelly (mop of ginger hair), Andy Greatorex, David Rotherham (fishing fanatic), Trevor (Sheb) Wooley (used to wear a grey trench coat with a Communist star on it ), Lloyd Priestly (went to work in a bank), Andrew Askham, David Hebbletwaite. All I can remember at the moment, no doubt others will come back.

I took my O levels in '66 and then, along with several others, transfered to City Grammer down Stradbroke Road. Stayed about 6months, as did most who moved there, then returned to Hurlfield to take a few more O levels. The difference in teaching styles was just too unbridgeable.

Would be good to hear if any of this jogs a few memories from anyone there in the 60s.

Phil

hi paul

I was at hurlfield with you in the same class from the 2nd year to the the fourth year left to move to blackpool where I took my o levels remember beerbone carl stevens d milner & a few of the others dave parkin mick liversidge

haven`t lived in Sheffield for nearly thirty years living just outside of stratford on avon get back to Sheffield now and again but not for about 4 year as I had to finish work to be my wife`s full time carer & travelling is difficult for her have some fond memories of the school

hi paul

I was at hurlfield with you in the same class from the 2nd year to the the fourth year left to move to blackpool where I took my o levels remember beerbone carl stevens d milner & a few of the others dave parkin mick liversidge

haven`t lived in Sheffield for nearly thirty years living just outside of stratford on avon get back to Sheffield now and again but not for about 4 year as I had to finish work to be my wife`s full time carer & travelling is difficult for her have some fond memories of the school

If Carl Stevens was a black lad, then I had a top scrap with him which started on the gennel opposite the scool and continued to the Manor Top. Happy days.

Very interesting reading. I left Hurlfield Xmas 1962 (last of the Xmas leavers) could not wait to get out. The standard of teaching was poor generally with many of the masters ruling with fear, and I believe one or two were deranged or sadists. The people I most respected being, Mr March (History, Geography and RE), Mr Howarth (Art) Mr Jennings (Science) Mr Hartley (English) Mr Machin (PE) Mr Coldwell & Mr Crawshaw (Maths) and Terry Wilson (Woodwork).

They were all people whom I found fair, and able to stimulate their pupils, these guys were no pushovers but were not over enthusiastic with the stick or slipper and always commanded respect even if it was grudging from a bunch of adolescents.

I am still in touch with Terry Wilson who still lives in Sheffield. A lot of the lads did well after leaving school but I lost touch down the years as i moved around the country.

It's interesting reading the postings, I can remember most of the teachers mentioned in the 1963-68 period. I also remember Peter Lacey very well but I've no idea who Cat Stevens is. It would be great to meet up with some of the people from that time; Robs Milner/Thorpe/Lancaster, Ian Bickerton (Beerbone), Johns Burton/Siddall, Steve Clarke, Ian Johnson, Mick Swann. Pete 'Webby' Webster, Dave Crapper, Ken Wilson (although he did beat me up) and many more whose names escape me.

Hi Paul.

I used to live on Alnwick Road, not far from you. I remremember you starting at Hurlfield, you was in the year below me. Your father became Lord Mayor of Sheffield as I remember. I remember Phil Biggin too. He was in the year above me. I recall all the teachers he mention but others I remember were Cedric Kirk, music teacher, Little Ken March, history, always ready for a laugh, A teacher called Rimmer who left suddenly under a shadow. Funnily enough, I rated Stuart Greenhoff. Ok he was an odd bloke but a brilliant teacher In my opinion. Do you remember the boy who nearly blew the science lab up.

I rated Hurlfield as good as some of the grammar school and I felt it had a good atmosphere mostly. This was probably due to Mr Egerton who was a brilliant head teacher. Not like Houdmont. However, Houdmont was a better maths teacher than Jack Crawshaw in my opinion. Some years later, an ex member of staff remarked of Houdmont as "every castle has its ghost". I often wonder how many teachers from that era are still alive.

In 1976 my wife Rowena and I holidayed in Cornwall. We looked up Mr Egerton and him and his wife made us most welcome and gave us tea. It was lovely to talk about Hurlfield. The following summer, 1977, we went to visit again but was told by a neighbour that he was in Truro Hospital suffering with leukemia. We went to the hospital and managed to blag entry to his ward as it was out of visiting hours. He was pleased to see us and he appeared quite well. Unfortunately he died soon after. I often wonder if I was the last person from Hurlfield to see him.

We visited his wife some years after, and have a photo of her holding our baby daughter. We never saw her again.

Hi Andrew,

I remember you, our mothers were friends, I think it was to do with the B&C Woman's Guild, we all shopped at the B&Cs in those days.  You went on the 30 mile night charity walk to Chestefield and back didn't you? Dad was Lord Mayor 1965-66 so it's 50 years ago. The kid who blew himself up in the prep room was Mick Swann, he was in our form, I think that was in the Spring/Summer of 1966. The science teacher at the time was Peter Jennings, I'm sure I saw him today in Dronfield Woodhouse (I was on a bus - 20.6.15), he looked to be in his late 70's, early 80's but quite well. I'm glad you got to see Mr Egerton before he died, he was a wonderful man, we all owe him a lot. The last time I saw him was at Keith Turton's house in Bradway in about 1970. I think Keith died in the early 80's. You're right about Houdmont, who was a better maths teacher than Jack Crawshaw but no where near as human. I live in Totley and saw Houdmoont about 5 years ago, he died quite recently aged 98. Staurt Greenhoff is also no longer with us, but soon his brilliant archive will be available on the Dore History Society web-site.

It's all a long time ago and the strange thing is I never see anybody from Hurlfield, although apart from 10 years in Africa and South America I still live in Sheffield. The last person I saw was Rob Milner (from my form) in the early 90's.

I'd love to meet any of the old gang who are still alive. Hurlfield was a tough school but I achieved better results than my older brother who went to City Grammer.

Cheers, Paul 'Wazzie' Worrall

Attended Hurlfield 61-65, be great to see some  class photographs of around that time. My form teachers were Sibury, Kirk, March and Jennings . Just something you had to do can,t say i disliked it.   

I attended Hurlfield from 1955 to 1961. My teachers included Mr. Morgan, Mr.Crawshaw Mr. Gaskill, Mr. Hopkinson, Mr. Goodfellow, Mr. Green. I was in the first year to stay on to take GCE O levels.