Hurlfield School For Boys

Paul Worrall

I'm glad this topic is starting to take off a bit and old ex Hurlfield students are starting to contribute to it.

It is a topic I have being trying to get some interest in for some time, having started a very successful topic on my own school (Norfolk), my 6th form school (Ashleigh) and having contributed bits to topics on Frechville, Newfield, Rowlinson, Gleadless Valley, Thornbridge and now Hurlfield.

It has always been a long term aim to have a successful, well established topic on every Sheffield school.

Many thanks to the Hurlfield lads who have contributed to and are helping make this school topic a success,

Now, for a Norfolk lad to be thanking and complimenting some Hurlfielders, there's something!

Guest pdb215

Can anybody remember Hurlfield Sch for Boys in the mid to late 60's? I was a student between 1963-68. First most of this time Mr Egerton was the Headteacher until he became ill when I was in the 4th Yr. (1967)

Wazzie Worrall.

Hi Paul.

I was at Hurlfield Boys from 1961 to 1967 in fact I do remember youre name although to be honest, can't put a face to it.

I'm Philip Burgin, 11+ failure from Manor Lane Primary !!

Teachers I recall over the years I was there?

Head was Leonard Egerton for most of the time, retired about '65 to Cornwall due to il health. Great guy, teacher and friendly. Anybody reading this used to go for his 20 Embassy cigs to the shopping centre for him? Or was it just me?

He was replaced by silver haired head called Houdmont, different style altogether. The deputy to Egerton was called Lupton, moustached and about 6' 6" tall.

There was Stuart Greenhough for geography, Bill (evil git) Machin for PE,Peter Hartley, English; Taffy Morgan for RE but he was replaced by another Hartley; Brian Standing for Tech Drawing; Peter Jennings (always wore suede shoes) for science then when it was splitb into Physics with separate chemistry for O Levels, there was a Mr Deardon; Woodwork was an old guy called Clifford Thorpe; Mr Ellis taught music in the room on the landing above the front staircase; Brian Turton looked after the library and taught English; Jack Crawshaw maths in the very end room on the top corridor.

Pupils I recall?

Steve (Sam) Rhodes, Andy Tucker, Michael Money; Tassos Severis (now I believe a teacher in Nottingham), Steven Wilkinson, David Curley, Michael Kearney (used to live in the prefabs that were demolished by the gales), Michael Oldale, Michael Rodgers, Steven Lomax, Peter Skelly (mop of ginger hair), Andy Greatorex, David Rotherham (fishing fanatic), Trevor (Sheb) Wooley (used to wear a grey trench coat with a Communist star on it ), Lloyd Priestly (went to work in a bank), Andrew Askham, David Hebbletwaite. All I can remember at the moment, no doubt others will come back.

I took my O levels in '66 and then, along with several others, transfered to City Grammer down Stradbroke Road. Stayed about 6months, as did most who moved there, then returned to Hurlfield to take a few more O levels. The difference in teaching styles was just too unbridgeable.

Would be good to hear if any of this jogs a few memories from anyone there in the 60s.

Phil

Guest Peter Lacey

hi paul

I was at hurlfield with you in the same class from the 2nd year to the the fourth year left to move to blackpool where I took my o levels remember beerbone carl stevens d milner & a few of the others dave parkin mick liversidge

haven`t lived in Sheffield for nearly thirty years living just outside of stratford on avon get back to Sheffield now and again but not for about 4 year as I had to finish work to be my wife`s full time carer & travelling is difficult for her have some fond memories of the school

hi paul

I was at hurlfield with you in the same class from the 2nd year to the the fourth year left to move to blackpool where I took my o levels remember beerbone carl stevens d milner & a few of the others dave parkin mick liversidge

haven`t lived in Sheffield for nearly thirty years living just outside of stratford on avon get back to Sheffield now and again but not for about 4 year as I had to finish work to be my wife`s full time carer & travelling is difficult for her have some fond memories of the school

If Carl Stevens was a black lad, then I had a top scrap with him which started on the gennel opposite the scool and continued to the Manor Top. Happy days.

Very interesting reading. I left Hurlfield Xmas 1962 (last of the Xmas leavers) could not wait to get out. The standard of teaching was poor generally with many of the masters ruling with fear, and I believe one or two were deranged or sadists. The people I most respected being, Mr March (History, Geography and RE), Mr Howarth (Art) Mr Jennings (Science) Mr Hartley (English) Mr Machin (PE) Mr Coldwell & Mr Crawshaw (Maths) and Terry Wilson (Woodwork).

They were all people whom I found fair, and able to stimulate their pupils, these guys were no pushovers but were not over enthusiastic with the stick or slipper and always commanded respect even if it was grudging from a bunch of adolescents.

I am still in touch with Terry Wilson who still lives in Sheffield. A lot of the lads did well after leaving school but I lost touch down the years as i moved around the country.

It's interesting reading the postings, I can remember most of the teachers mentioned in the 1963-68 period. I also remember Peter Lacey very well but I've no idea who Cat Stevens is. It would be great to meet up with some of the people from that time; Robs Milner/Thorpe/Lancaster, Ian Bickerton (Beerbone), Johns Burton/Siddall, Steve Clarke, Ian Johnson, Mick Swann. Pete 'Webby' Webster, Dave Crapper, Ken Wilson (although he did beat me up) and many more whose names escape me.

Guest Andrew Twynham

Hi Paul.

I used to live on Alnwick Road, not far from you. I remremember you starting at Hurlfield, you was in the year below me. Your father became Lord Mayor of Sheffield as I remember. I remember Phil Biggin too. He was in the year above me. I recall all the teachers he mention but others I remember were Cedric Kirk, music teacher, Little Ken March, history, always ready for a laugh, A teacher called Rimmer who left suddenly under a shadow. Funnily enough, I rated Stuart Greenhoff. Ok he was an odd bloke but a brilliant teacher In my opinion. Do you remember the boy who nearly blew the science lab up.

I rated Hurlfield as good as some of the grammar school and I felt it had a good atmosphere mostly. This was probably due to Mr Egerton who was a brilliant head teacher. Not like Houdmont. However, Houdmont was a better maths teacher than Jack Crawshaw in my opinion. Some years later, an ex member of staff remarked of Houdmont as "every castle has its ghost". I often wonder how many teachers from that era are still alive.

In 1976 my wife Rowena and I holidayed in Cornwall. We looked up Mr Egerton and him and his wife made us most welcome and gave us tea. It was lovely to talk about Hurlfield. The following summer, 1977, we went to visit again but was told by a neighbour that he was in Truro Hospital suffering with leukemia. We went to the hospital and managed to blag entry to his ward as it was out of visiting hours. He was pleased to see us and he appeared quite well. Unfortunately he died soon after. I often wonder if I was the last person from Hurlfield to see him.

We visited his wife some years after, and have a photo of her holding our baby daughter. We never saw her again.

Hi Andrew,

I remember you, our mothers were friends, I think it was to do with the B&C Woman's Guild, we all shopped at the B&Cs in those days.  You went on the 30 mile night charity walk to Chestefield and back didn't you? Dad was Lord Mayor 1965-66 so it's 50 years ago. The kid who blew himself up in the prep room was Mick Swann, he was in our form, I think that was in the Spring/Summer of 1966. The science teacher at the time was Peter Jennings, I'm sure I saw him today in Dronfield Woodhouse (I was on a bus - 20.6.15), he looked to be in his late 70's, early 80's but quite well. I'm glad you got to see Mr Egerton before he died, he was a wonderful man, we all owe him a lot. The last time I saw him was at Keith Turton's house in Bradway in about 1970. I think Keith died in the early 80's. You're right about Houdmont, who was a better maths teacher than Jack Crawshaw but no where near as human. I live in Totley and saw Houdmoont about 5 years ago, he died quite recently aged 98. Staurt Greenhoff is also no longer with us, but soon his brilliant archive will be available on the Dore History Society web-site.

It's all a long time ago and the strange thing is I never see anybody from Hurlfield, although apart from 10 years in Africa and South America I still live in Sheffield. The last person I saw was Rob Milner (from my form) in the early 90's.

I'd love to meet any of the old gang who are still alive. Hurlfield was a tough school but I achieved better results than my older brother who went to City Grammer.

Cheers, Paul 'Wazzie' Worrall

Guest Alan Nelson

Attended Hurlfield 61-65, be great to see some  class photographs of around that time. My form teachers were Sibury, Kirk, March and Jennings . Just something you had to do can,t say i disliked it.   

I attended Hurlfield from 1955 to 1961. My teachers included Mr. Morgan, Mr.Crawshaw Mr. Gaskill, Mr. Hopkinson, Mr. Goodfellow, Mr. Green. I was in the first year to stay on to take GCE O levels.

Me and my classmates around 1966 ,I left in 68 and started work two weeks later at Brown Bayleys.I'm the one in the front with the national health specs.Happy day's.

image.jpeg

My brother went to Hurlfield Boys until mid/late 60’s Gary  Cammack. I cant remember all names of his mates but I went to Hurlfield Girls  and left in 1966, Gill Cammack  so I remember names from my years at Arbourthorne Central such as John Wigfull and Roger Mercer. Can also remember a David ‘S’ not sure of surname. 

Hi Paul, 

Yes I remember Hurlfield boys school. In fact I remember you, as I was in the same class as you! I remember most of the teachers spoken about above, also Mr. Greenhough (Geography) and Mr. March (History). Sport was the worst for me. We were made to play football when the ground was frozen. I was the one who was always picked last and stuck on a wing somewhere or even in goal. I managed to save a goal once when I was looking away daydreaming. I suddenly heard everyone shouting and I looked round just as the football hit me right in the chest! It nearly knocked me over!

Then there was the luxury of the showers in that Groundsmans wooden hut. It was fifty fifty. They were either boiling hot or freezing cold.

Remember morning assembly? The hymns were hand written on to slides, projected on to a screen above the piano in the hall.

Great times!

Hurlfield School for Boys Photographs. 1965-68

Photograph 1. 

June 1965.  Under 15 Rugby Team.

The Teacher is Mr. Nigel Lawson.  Mr Lawson was a Science Teacher.  He left Hurlfield around 1965 and later became Head of Science at King Edward VII School, Sheffield.

Photograph 2. 

June 1965.  Form 2H.

The Teacher is Mr Eric Hartley.  Mr Hartley was a RE Teacher, who took some boys through to O Level.  He stayed at Hurlfield until he retired.

Photograph 3. 

June 1966.  Form 3H.

The Teacher is Mr Peter Hartley.  Mr Hartley was an English Teacher, who took most boys through to O Level.  He stayed at Hurlfield until he retired.

Photograph 4. 

June 1967.  Form 4G.

The Teacher is Mr Jack Crawshaw.  He was a Maths Teacher, who took most boys through to O Level.  Mr Crawshaw was an important figure in the Sheffield Teacher’s Association.  He stayed at Hurlfield until he retired.

Photograph 5. 

May 1968.  Form 5A

The Teacher is Mr Brian Standing.  He was a Tech Drawing Teacher, who took most boys through to O Level.  Mr Standing was also a Youth Worker and Scout Leader.  He stayed at Hurlfield until he retired.

These people are all a fine body of Teacher’s.  Each one of them went ‘that extra mile’ to ensure that the boys got not only good O’level Grades but a well-rounded Education.  I know they all did much more than I have mentioned but unfortunately my memory isn’t what it was.  However, I can also remember most of the names in the photographs with a bit of coaxing, but I’ll have to be tried out on that one!

Wazzie Worrall 

1965 Und13 Rugby.jpg

Fr2 1965 Eric Hartley .jpg

Fr3 1966 Peter Hartley.jpg

Fr4 1967 J Crawshaw.jpg

Fr5 1968 B Standing.jpg

On 12/07/2020 at 11:48, Paul Worrall said:

Hurlfield School for Boys Photographs. 1965-68

Photograph 1. 

June 1965.  Under 15 Rugby Team.

The Teacher is Mr. Nigel Lawson.  Mr Lawson was a Science Teacher.  He left Hurlfield around 1965 and later became Head of Science at King Edward VII School, Sheffield.

Photograph 2. 

June 1965.  Form 2H.

The Teacher is Mr Eric Hartley.  Mr Hartley was a RE Teacher, who took some boys through to O Level.  He stayed at Hurlfield until he retired.

Photograph 3. 

June 1966.  Form 3H.

The Teacher is Mr Peter Hartley.  Mr Hartley was an English Teacher, who took most boys through to O Level.  He stayed at Hurlfield until he retired.

Photograph 4. 

June 1967.  Form 4G.

The Teacher is Mr Jack Crawshaw.  He was a Maths Teacher, who took most boys through to O Level.  Mr Crawshaw was an important figure in the Sheffield Teacher’s Association.  He stayed at Hurlfield until he retired.

Photograph 5. 

May 1968.  Form 5A

The Teacher is Mr Brian Standing.  He was a Tech Drawing Teacher, who took most boys through to O Level.  Mr Standing was also a Youth Worker and Scout Leader.  He stayed at Hurlfield until he retired.

These people are all a fine body of Teacher’s.  Each one of them went ‘that extra mile’ to ensure that the boys got not only good O’level Grades but a well-rounded Education.  I know they all did much more than I have mentioned but unfortunately my memory isn’t what it was.  However, I can also remember most of the names in the photographs with a bit of coaxing, but I’ll have to be tried out on that one!

Wazzie Worrall 

1965 Und13 Rugby.jpg

Fr2 1965 Eric Hartley .jpg

Fr3 1966 Peter Hartley.jpg

Fr4 1967 J Crawshaw.jpg

Fr5 1968 B Standing.jpg

Hurlfield School for Girls - Speech Day Programme October 1065

HSG Speech Day 1.jpeg

HSG Speech Day 2.jpeg

Bit late to the thread but it sparked a few half memories, attended Hurlfield 65-70 propelled there by an 11 plus failure at Prince Edwards, Manor Top.  Not a notable education but it wasn't an environment conducive to learning, some very good teachers many pretty poor and quite a few fond of corporal punishment.

The notable, March was a very good History teacher but left after the first year so History was off the curriculum after that, Jennings a very good science teacher always prepared to encourage kids, I do remember his Sunbeam Alpine and Rover P6 from the Climbing Club days.  Standing was ok and fair for Technical Drawing.  There was another good geography teacher whose name escapes me now (not Greenhough) but I do remember him asking if any of us would be interested in 'O' level geology a bit of a novelty to ask the kids in those times.  He left shortly after.  There was a maths teacher in our 3/4 year I think called Wagstaff? or something like that very fond of the slipper for missing homework deadlines but not a bad teacher.  Marshall was ok and encouraging in metalwork.        

Form masters included Simpson (English), Eric Hartley (RE) and P Hartley (English) all of which I would have no quarrel with educationally. 

There was a science teacher in our first year Godbehear I think, who seemed to have dislike for kids. Carr for music who used to ramble on about his days with the Halle Orchestra, anything musical being strangely absent from his lessons but I think it was only a half lesson a week 30 mins, so not much to work with. Machin (PE) another teacher who seemed to be locked into a 1930's military mentality.      

So not much of note to remember, incidents include the curtains catching fire in assembly and a fire on the building site close to some gas canisters during the building of the comprehensive extension/ swimming pool. I do remember a teacher having to come and  find us in the visual aid room (balcony in the hall) where we had decided to stay and watch NASA's second? moon launch on TV.                         

Carl Stevens mentioned on the thread was I think, in the year below us, seem to remember he used to live on Ridgeway Drive a few doors down from Philip Rodman who was also in our year.  

Hi Rppear,

Thanks for the posting. You are x2yrs younger than me, however many of the teachers were there during my time at the school. These include, Mr Ken March (History), he eventually became a lecturer in Education at Sheffield College. Mr Brian Standing (TD), Mr Standing also ran the Youth Club with Mr Savage (French) and lived at Gleadless. Mr Bill Machin taught PE, before Mr Bromby. Mr Machin was very strick and acted as if he was still in the Army. Mr Greenhough was our Geography Teacher, I don't remember another teacher in that department. A lot of Mr Greenhough's Archive is available to view at the Dore Archive, Dore Village Old School.

Mr Simpson (English), Mr Eric Hartley (RE) and Mr Pete Hartley (English) were all there. Both Mr Hartley's are on the photgraphs. I've no memory of Mr Godbehear or Mr Carr. The other teacher I remember was Mr Keith Turton, he was a wonderful person and an excellent role model to a load of degenerate Boys!

I remember Phil Rodman.

The other day I met John Bizzard, John left Hurlfield in 1962. He were talking about incidents at the school. I remember the curtains catching fire and the Fire Engines arriving.

I also remember the Michael Swan (Swanny) incident. Swanny (Yr.3) blew himself up in the Science Prep Room in I think May 1966? Mr Jennings was the Science Teacher at the time, but it wasn't his fault. Swanny had to have major skin grafts and was off school for ages. I've trawled the internet but I can't find any reference to the incident. It made the local press (Sheffield Telegraph & Star), the local BBC/ITV News and the National News.

Is there anybody out there who has any news/records of the Michael Swan incident? Is Swanny still in Sheffield?

Kind regards,

Wazzie Worrall.

Paul thanks for responding to my post, as I said half memories. I do remember the explosion, I think one of the science teachers ran a lunchtime ‘rocket club’ and some kids were mixing the rocket fuel mixture when it ignited so I don’t know if that will jog a memory.

The science teacher I mentioned was new and we only had him for the first year. The music teacher was a small bald headed guy handy with a slipper but beginning to think Carr might have been woodwork. 

A few more names that come to mind from my year are the Fletcher twins, John and Michael, Paul Connop, Roger Potts and Geoff Gregory all from Prince Edwards.    

Sorry if this is off topic just noticed from the Punchbowl thread you lived on Durlstone Drive, we lived on Hurlfield Avenue with gardens backing onto Durlstone.

Hi again Rppear.

Thanks for the stuff about the explosion. You are the first person who remembers it. Swanny - Michael Swan was the 'lunchtime Rocket Club Member' who was mixing fuel. Mr Jennings the Science Teacher left him in the Prep Room while he went for his lunch. Swanny was pounding 'Potassium Chlorate', a relatively unsable compound when the whole thing blew up in his face. It was terrible and he was lucky not to be killed.

I don't remember Mr Carr. I never did Woodwork in the five years I was at Hurlfield, I always did Metalwork. Our Teachers for O'level were Mr Sargent and Mr Marshall. We had a Mr Harry Altass, but that was only when I was in the first year.

Of the boys You mention; I remember there were some 'Flinn Twins' in the year below us. There was a Potts in our year and We called him 'Heb', he had an older brother. It's interesting that in those days most kids had a nickname. Today's kids don't appear to have as many nicknames. We had a Mr Cedrick Kirk for Music, he was a tiny man who was always late for school. He played the piano in assembly and his Music lessons usually comprised of him telling stories with perhaps one song.

I never lived on Durlstone Drive, I lived on Ridgehill Ave and then moved to Ecclesall when I was 14, although I contined to go to Hurlfield.

Regulars on the No 51 bus were 'Smiler Johnson' who was in My class. 'Jammy James' who I think was two years older and whose Dad had pub on London Road and somebody 'Middleton' who was a year yonger and whose Dad was a Police Officer.

Happy Days - Please keep the memories coming!

Cheers, Wazzie Worrall

Paul, you’re making me realise just how much I’ve forgotten probably because I always saw Hurlfield as a tad bleak rather than happy days.  Apologies for mixing up your address, you’ve got me thinking so I’d been quickly misreading a few threads.  

It does sound like the music teacher was Mr Kirk, your description fits well with my recollections of him and his lessons. I’m pretty certain now the science teacher in our first year was Godbehear not a very pleasant guy.  From an attempted decipher of the scribble on my old school reports the geography teacher I was trying to remember might have been Hurst. He was relatively new so you might have missed him.

Another couple of names that have come to mind in our year, David Garlic an electronics whizz who lived on Ridgway Crescent and Philip Marshall who lived somewhere on Base Green.

Hi Rppear,

It's wierd how one person remembers one thing and another remembers something else. The only other Science Teachers I can remember were Mr Clare and Mr Lawson. 

Where are all the People who attended Hurlfield School for Boys and Hurlfield School for Girls?

Please keep posts coming!

Cheers, Wazzie Worrall

Always great to hear things from Hurlfield school pupils.  There was no facebook group for the school so I started one, having spent a small time at this amongst other schools in Sheffield.  Ex pupls are most welcome to come and reminisce there too.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/302501291633797

Here is an interesting articple I found, which tells of the failed Hurlfield School project as dedused following the TV documentary - the newpaper article from the Guardian - Sheffield A Divided City.  

The_Guardian_Thu__Jun_5__1975_ - Sheff a divided city - Hurlfield School Experiment.jpg