House On Herries Rd

Lyn 1

Guest Trefcon

Corner of Firvale road and Herries road, its still there but the ornate column/entrance is covered by some ship lap kind of extension.

A few more details - George Carr, building contractor, originally from Rawmarsh, was living there with his wife Sarah, at the 1881 to 1911 census dates. In 1881 he called it Hawthorn Cottage. I would be surprised if he hadn't built it for himself.

Here in fact.

Not quite as attractive now though.

And just above on the opposite side is what is left of Smilter Lane, the snickett in SteveHB's map.

Guest plain talker

What a lovely old house, and what a state that shiplap stuff has made of this property. Such a pity.

I love the fancy stone column in the corner on the original picture

Hi, only just joined Sheffield History because in doing research on history of the house I grew up in, I came upon the discussion about 75 Smilter Lane (Herries Road). It was so helpful to read that George Carr had built Hawthorn Cottage. It was a beautiful house when I lived there in the 1950/1960 period. In the two rooms downstairs there were marble fireplaces and on the landing a lovely stained glass window. The cellars were very interesting to play in as one had housed the carriage for the horse and carriage and another one still had the stone slab for baking etc and the old mangle and sink for doing the washing which I assume the servants used in Mr Carr's family. In the 1901 census the servant living there was Martha Harrison. When my parents were decorating one of the bedrooms they found an old photo which had gone down the back of the fireplace and so now I know this was probably a photo of the Carr children etc.

When my father was in the Northern General just before he died, we could see the old house from his window but we didn't tell him as we couldn't look at it as it is today, such a shame.

Was this house at anytime during the 1930s a children's home?

I'm looking for a children's home that used to be in that area on Herries Road in the 1930s.

I'm looking for a children's home that used to be in that area on Herries Road in the 1930s.

Just a guess, and taken from the 1925 directory.

Smelter lane.

Childrens homes were on the site of the hospital until 1939 when the children were moved to Fulwood prior to the start of WW2. They had been built as part of the Fir Vale workhouse to keep the children separate from the bad influences of people in the workhouse. More about them at http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Sheffield/

Lyn

From "Sheffield" by Ruth Harman & John Minnis 2004:

"On the s[outhern] edge of the site by Herries Road, the Cottage Homes for Children, 1894, by C. ]. Innocent were early examples in Sheffield of a more humane approach to the treatment of orphan children. Only the Receiving House remains, plain red brick with little decoration. The three blocks of cottages have been demolished in recent years."

Is this it? From Google street view: EDIT : No it isn't! see below

The Goddard Hall estate was purchased to build the homes on. Goddard Hall still stands today rather dilapidated within the Northern General Hospital's grounds . Also there is still the superintendent's house attached to the receiving house. See workhouse website for photos of them.

Lyn

The Goddard Hall estate was purchased to build the homes on. Goddard Hall still stands today rather dilapidated within the Northern General Hospital's grounds . Also there is still the superintendent's house attached to the receiving house. See workhouse website for photos of them.

Lyn

Ah! - so the receiving house is the one in the picture on the Workhouse website as "Sheffield HQ Homes - administrative building, 2006" and is THIS one per Google street view:

That is right and if you go up the drive you will see the plaque on the wall re the opening of the homes. At the end of the building is the boarded up house where the superintendent lived. The car parks above was where the 3 cottage homes stood.

Lyn

The vagrants quarters came down around 1993 and I think the children's homes came down later though picture Sheffield has it down as 1993 - http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s27182&prevUrl=

Lyn

I found this picture at home, taken in 1978. It shows the entrance to the Northern General on Herries Road. The fence is identical to the one in the 'Picture Sheffield' reference in your post and some of the buildings you referred to can just be seen behind the trees. The photo wouldn't win any prizes but I thought it was worth sharing.

Childrens homes were on the site of the hospital until 1939 when the children were moved to Fulwood prior to the start of WW2. They had been built as part of the Fir Vale workhouse to keep the children separate from the bad influences of people in the workhouse. More about them at http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Sheffield/

Lyn

Lyn, where in Fulwood did the children get moved to?

Hi,I was wondering if anyone could help me,my grandma Phoebe wood born 1902 was brought to brinsworth Rotherham by her dad Noah Wood from Walsall they lived at Tyler street huts. Noah married Clara 1927 they lived at tinsley huts.

Phoebe had3 children Lily,Alfred known as Gordon then Audrey she was not married I am led to believe they all had same father. Then we found out that Phoebe was in or worked at for vale work house then later 1940s was put in Whittington hall chesterfield if anyone knows them I would love to hear.