Certificate Advice Please

Blacky

My great great grandfather was born at the end of 1836 and baptised in June the following year.

With registration starting in 1837 what are the chances of finding a birth certificate for him?

What do you think?

Any help much appreciated.

Lee

Hi Lee,

Sorry to disappoint you but I think you will not find a certificate as the law for Registration was not passed until 1 July 1837. Even after that registration was extremely patchy as it was the responsibility of Registrars to search out & record births & deaths. Its estimated that at least 15% of birth & deaths were missed. Clergy conducting marriages were responsible for submitting quarterly returns to the Registrar so marriages were better recorded .

In 1874 a new Registration Act was passed which gave responsibility to the persons concerned to notify the event to the Registrar so that significantly improved the situation.

It would appear from your entry that you have seen the baptism record for your ancestor & that will give you all the info you are likely to get ,although your ancestors marriage certificate (if there was one) would give more details of his father & job

John

I agree that you won't find a Birth certificate at that date. If the reason you are looking is to find more info, yes marriage certificate could tell you more or perhaps the certificate of a sibling who was born after the registration act?

Thanks for your help - has probably saved me £9!

Ive got quite a decent certificate collection but its obvious to me now that I need to delve into parish registers now to continue my research.

Just not 100% sure how to continue?

Should I renew my ancestry subscription or do I need to write to or visit the parish concerned?

My great grand father was born in Ilkeston Derbyshire.

Thanks again.

If you live in Sheffield you can go to Sheffield Archives and get free search on their computer of a certain well known search site which includes a lot of baptismal records from across England.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Have registered with east midlands genealogy - just waiting to be accepted.

Unfortunately, there does not s yet, seem to be a CD-Rom transcript for Ilkeston, but if your researches keep you in that area, then the following might provide some useful lines of enquiry for you.

http://www.ancestralarchivesofderbyshire.com/index.php?cat=1

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/ValNealCDs.html#ParishRegisters

Alternatively, you might want to give these guys a ring, and see as to what they already hold.

Mansfield England Family History Center
X

Southridge DriveMANSFIELDUNITED KINGDOM

+44 0 162-366 2333