John Gosney

Stuart0742

I have received this query

I think we are looking for for John Gosney, born circa 1853

Where was John Gosney born: Manchester Road Crosspool Sheffield, Yorkshire, or Manchester in Lancashire?

The 2nd Sheffield Town Hall was built over a 7 year period 1890-1897 & my mother's side of the family had probably a small part to play. Stories handed down from our parents & heard many times.
On the census of 1901 Sheffield Upper Hallam St John the Evangelist Ecc. Dist. RG 4345 122 1. My grandfather is written out as follows: John Henry Gosney Head Mar. 23. Foreman Stoneworker. Yorkshire. Sheffield. and living at 22, Stephen Hill, and married to 22yr.old Julia Emily Horton my grandmother.
I am looking for a birth certificate of John Gosney my g.grandfather. The family have been talking about it for the last 50 years because there is a mystery attached to it. He was born in 1854 - 20.1.1817 and an 1891 census has the family living at 91,Tapton Hill Road. Ecclesall Bierlow (Mary died there in 1890 & is in St. Mary's Walkley Churchyard, after her 6th child.) The only indication of where he might have been born is on this census, but strange we think that it states - Manchester ?
John Gosney. Head Widower 37 Gen. Lab. Lancs. Manchester St. Johns Ranmoor Ecc. Dist. RG3805 26 11.
On the next census of 1901. RG 4351 104 15, 48 years. Stonequarryman. He is married again & living at 301 Lydgate Lane & already another 4 children with his 2nd wife, 8, 6, 4, 2yr.old. George the 4 yr.old half brother also got killed in 1917 and buried in Belgium. The 3 from Mary his first wife, James 18, Harriet 13, Ernest 11, who was killed in 1917 in the 1st World War and is buried in France.

That is Town Hall number 4.

1) Wooden fella, Pinfold Street area.

2) At junction of Church Street and what became East Parade, jutting out into the street, opposite Coles Corner.

3) Waingate.

Guest JPWhitelam
Hi,
I had a little look at this for you and think I have some information that might be helpful.
John and Martha got married in Sheffield in 1851. At the time of the census that year they were still living in Upper Hallam. However in the last quarter of 1852 they had registered the birth if John Henry in Chorlton, Manchester. They also had another son William registered in Chorlton in the first quarter of 1854. By the time of the next census in 1861 the family was back living in Nether Hallam and the rest you know. All the cenuses '61, '71, '81, '91 & 1901 show him s born in Manchester so it's a pretty safe bet that he was.
My guess is that John and Martha moved to Chorlton shortly after getting married. There's seems to be a few quarries in the area and a good few stonemasons listed (Slater's directories for 1850 & 1853). There was a Stonemason's Tavern in Cambridge Street, Chorlton-upon-Medlock at that time (1853). Quite few stonemasons are mentioned in the area when I googled it... There's also a branch of the Gosneys in that area so he may have had a relative he was working for/ apprenticed to?
Anyway, I hope this gives you something to work with :-)
I recently started a little website offering help (free) to anyone who asks so if this was any help to you I'd be grateful if you'd give me a mention if you know of someone needing a hand :-) I spend a lot of time at sea and it whiles away the long hours :-)
I've also attached a GEDCOM file of what I found so you can find all the documents I did without having to fish about too much.
Hope this is a help
Regards
JP Whitelam

My own personal brickwall is on its way for your consideration, have fun.

and Thanks for looking.

I recently started a little website offering help (free) to anyone who asks so if this was any help to you I'd be grateful if you'd give me a mention if you know of someone needing a hand :-) I spend a lot of time at sea and it whiles away the long hours :-)

On the next census of 1901. RG 4351 104 15, 48 years. Stonequarryman. He is married again & living at 301 Lydgate Lane & already another 4 children with his 2nd wife, 8, 6, 4, 2yr.old. George the 4 yr.old half brother also got killed in 1917 and buried in Belgium. The 3 from Mary his first wife, James 18, Harriet 13, Ernest 11, who was killed in 1917 in the 1st World War and is buried in France.

SHEFFIELD POLICE COURTS

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England), Tuesday, June 13, 1899;

From the Shefffield Independent, Marriages, Saturday April 25 1868:

MIRFIN-GOSNEY - April 20, at Hanover Chapel, by the Rev.J.Adcock, Mr.Charles Mirfin, Handsworth Woodhouse, to Miss Amelia Gosney, Stephen hill, near Sheffield

Guest sal1974

Hi I have been looking at John gosney who was born 1826 and married Martha in 1851. This seems to be the same family but I'm having trouble finding his mother and father. Any help would be much appreciated. :-)

Baptisms from Sheffield Indexers:

Gosnay, John Dobson (of Sheffd, born 1825-02-07).
Baptised March 27, 1825, by M Preston at Sheffield Parish Church, Church Street, Sheffield.
Parents name(s) are Mary & William (Collier).

Gosner, Eliza (of Sheffield, born 1827-02-28).
Baptised April 15, 1827, by T.Sutton at Sheffield Parish Church, Church Street, Sheffield.

Gosnay, Ann (of Sheffd, born 1829-05-19).
Baptised September 6, 1829, by S Jones at Sheffield Parish Church, Church Street, Sheffield.
Parents name(s) are Mary & William (collier).

William and Mary are on the same census page as John and Martha in 1851.

Members of this family are buried in Fulwood Churchyard.

Guest sal1974

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at this for me. I've got John and Martha living on Stephen hill on the 1851 census. No mention of any colliers. Maybe I've gone wrong somewhere :-(

Guest sal1974

Baptisms from Sheffield Indexers:

Gosnay, John Dobson (of Sheffd, born 1825-02-07).

Baptised March 27, 1825, by M Preston at Sheffield Parish Church, Church Street, Sheffield.

Gosner, Eliza (of Sheffield, born 1827-02-28).

Baptised April 15, 1827, by T.Sutton at Sheffield Parish Church, Church Street, Sheffield.

Gosnay, Ann (of Sheffd, born 1829-05-19).

Baptised September 6, 1829, by S Jones at Sheffield Parish Church, Church Street, Sheffield.

Parents name(s) are Mary & William (collier).

William and Mary are on the same census page as John and Martha in 1851.

Members of this family are buried in Fulwood Churchyard.

Did you mean Mary's maiden name is collier?

If anyone is still working on this thread, then I have a copy of John's birth cert 14 Nov 1852 at 10 Thomas Street Hulme...centre of modern day Manchester.

If you need more info, or a copy then please feel free to ask

Guest sal1974

Hi imuman, Only just seen your reply! If it would be possible for a copy of this that would be great :-)

Kindest regards Sally

If anyone is still working on this thread, then I have a copy of John's birth cert 14 Nov 1852 at 10 Thomas Street Hulme...centre of modern day Manchester.

If you need more info, or a copy then please feel free to ask

I am in touch with the person whose query was the origin of this thread. He would love to have a copy of John GOSNEY's birth certificate (and I'd be happy to pass it on). He expects the parents to be John GOSNEY and Martha HAMMERTON.

Hugh