Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
johnm

85 Pye Bank/85 Pitsmoor Rd

Recommended Posts

Can anyone please tell me if the beerhouse at 85 Pye Bank/ 85 Pitsmoor Rd had a name in the period 1901-1925 when Hilderbert de Lacey ran it?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think 85 was between Macro Street and the entry into Court No.11, Pye Bank,

no luck regarding a named beerhouse.

1890 (high numbers north)

Whites 1901.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 1911 census list of the area:

In 1891 the census shows that 85 Pye Bank was a public house, the landlord being Joseph Woodhouse. The Sheffield Independent of 28th February 1888 reported on proceedings at at the Town Hall, Second Court, before Alderman Hunter and J Wilson Esq. Joseph Woodhouse the landlord of the TUNNEL HOTEL, Pyebank, was charged with keeping his licensed premises open during prohibited hours:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some more information about the Tunnel Hotel, Pyebank. Built over the railway tunnnel next to the Wicker station.

It appears to have been open in 1861 (though address listed as 89 Pyebank) see link:

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/3411-1861-pubs/

A licence was granted to Joseph Eyre of the Tunnel Hotel in September 1869

In May 1867 the Independent printed an advertisement: A bargain - to be sold by private contract, a Ginger Beer and Soda Water Plant with everything complete for carrying on business - apply to Wm Emmitt, Tunnel Hotel, Pye bank, Bridgehouses, Sheffield.

In December 1869 an advert appeared in the Independent: LOST November 24th, a white Poodle dog, answers to the name of Tiger.- Anyone restoring the same to Wm Rose , Tunnel Hotel, Pyebank, will be handsomely rewarded.

In March 1870 William Eyre of the Tunnel Hotel was a signatory to a notice requesting the attendance of beer-house keepers at a meeting at the Pack Horse Inn, Snighill, with a view to forming a Beer-house Keepers Association.

In December 1873, in a report about the Sheffield Hurricane: "Quite a sight is presented by the row of houses commencing with the Tunnel Hotel, Bank View. The road in front is half filled with a heterogeneous mass of slates, tiles, chimney pots &c. Several of the houses have been nearly unroofed and great masses of slates were ready to drop every moment"

In January 1874 Joseph Eyre of the Tunnel Hotel sponsored the "EYRE'S 140 Yards Novice Handicap" (for pedestrian racing) and 400 spectators assembled at Newhall to witness the preliminary heats. The prize pot given by Mr Eyre was £7 10s to be divided across numerous classes.

The April 1st (!) edition of the Independent featured a small ad : " LOST at Mid day yesterday from Pye bank, two LITTLE BOYS, one having a worsted jacket on. Apply Tunnel Hotel, Pye bank"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wilf is innocent ! Free Wilf !

1868 William Emmett, 89 Pyebank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1893 Joseph Woodhouse, 85 Pyebank, Beer retailer ...(Kelly's)

In 1891 the census shows that 85 Pye Bank was a public house, the landlord being Joseph Woodhouse. The Sheffield Independent of 28th February 1888 reported on proceedings at at the Town Hall, Second Court, before Alderman Hunter and J Wilson Esq. Joseph Woodhouse the landlord of the TUNNEL HOTEL, Pyebank, was charged with keeping his licensed premises open during prohibited hours:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What year please ?

The April 1st (!) edition of the Independent featured a small ad : " LOST at Mid day yesterday from Pye bank, two LITTLE BOYS, one having a worsted jacket on. Apply Tunnel Hotel, Pye bank"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hildebert de Lacy Pigott, Beerhouse, 85 Pye Bank, 1905 (White's)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all for your responses,

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What year please ?

It was 1875.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2013 at 11:08, Edmund said:

Some more information about the Tunnel Hotel, Pyebank. Built over the railway tunnnel next to the Wicker station.

 

It appears to have been open in 1861 (though address listed as 89 Pyebank) see link:

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/3411-1861-pubs/

 

A licence was granted to Joseph Eyre of the Tunnel Hotel in September 1869

 

In May 1867 the Independent printed an advertisement: A bargain - to be sold by private contract, a Ginger Beer and Soda Water Plant with everything complete for carrying on business - apply to Wm Emmitt, Tunnel Hotel, Pye bank, Bridgehouses, Sheffield.

 

In December 1869 an advert appeared in the Independent: LOST November 24th, a white Poodle dog, answers to the name of Tiger.- Anyone restoring the same to Wm Rose , Tunnel Hotel, Pyebank, will be handsomely rewarded.

 

In March 1870 William Eyre of the Tunnel Hotel was a signatory to a notice requesting the attendance of beer-house keepers at a meeting at the Pack Horse Inn, Snighill, with a view to forming a Beer-house Keepers Association.

 

In December 1873, in a report about the Sheffield Hurricane: "Quite a sight is presented by the row of houses commencing with the Tunnel Hotel, Bank View. The road in front is half filled with a heterogeneous mass of slates, tiles, chimney pots &c. Several of the houses have been nearly unroofed and great masses of slates were ready to drop every moment"

 

In January 1874 Joseph Eyre of the Tunnel Hotel sponsored the "EYRE'S 140 Yards Novice Handicap" (for pedestrian racing) and 400 spectators assembled at Newhall to witness the preliminary heats. The prize pot given by Mr Eyre was £7 10s to be divided across numerous classes.

 

The April 1st (!) edition of the Independent featured a small ad : " LOST at Mid day yesterday from Pye bank, two LITTLE BOYS, one having a worsted jacket on. Apply Tunnel Hotel, Pye bank"

Just seen this thread, so sorry for being late.

The tunnel you refer to is not the one over the Wicker. There was, and is a tunnel starting from Bridgehouses Goods Station under Rock St. and Pitsmoor Road and came out at  the top of Macro Street.  In the late 40's when I lived around there, there was a derelict pub at the corner of Macro St and Pitsmoor Road, this I presume was the Tunnel Inn. It stood  approx. opposite to where the later Highway pub was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×