Anybody Remember these games?

dunsbyowl1867

One match that stuck in my minds after all these years was the game against Man Utd on 7/12/1974. Wednesday went into a 3-1 lead but eventually the score ended up 4-4 with goals from Bernard Shaw, Colin Harvey and David Sunley (2).

I remember that there was loads of trouble in and outside the ground

The attendance was 35,000 which was easiest the highest gate of the year (apart from the FA Cup Semi- Final - which was 55,000) Wednesday's average was something like 10,000! The lowest home gate was 7,444 against Oxford in April.

This cartoon was printed in the programme depicting a game in late 1960s that ended up 5-4. That must have been one hell of a day!

Guest fredmciverslovechild

ManUre's supporters had a fearsome reputation that season; I think every single away game they'd been to there had been BIG trouble.

So Wednesday decided to put on one or two things before kick off to try and keep the fans happy one of which was some guy running round the pitch giving half a laps start to a guy who was walking!

I was sat in the North Stand that day but my uncle was on the Kop. Things really kicked off after Jim Holton broke his leg when challenged by Eric McMordie; United were one up by then but then they just fell apart and conceded three goals. My uncle told me that the fighting was terrible, the worst he'd ever seen. Eventually they had to get mounted police on the Kop to sort it out.

That was in December 1974; it's amazing to think that we didn't win a home game again until the following August!

ManUre's supporters had a fearsome reputation that season; I think every single away game they'd been to there had been BIG trouble.

So Wednesday decided to put on one or two things before kick off to try and keep the fans happy one of which was some guy running round the pitch giving half a laps start to a guy who was walking!

I was sat in the North Stand that day but my uncle was on the Kop. Things really kicked off after Jim Holton broke his leg when challenged by Eric McMordie; United were one up by then but then they just fell apart and conceded three goals. My uncle told me that the fighting was terrible, the worst he'd ever seen. Eventually they had to get mounted police on the Kop to sort it out.

That was in December 1974; it's amazing to think that we didn't win a home game again until the following August!

Excellent !

I was stood in that little V shaped bit on the right of the Kop - I was only 11 - a few Wednesday Dads had made a circle around us and were protecting us against the Mancs who were everywhere and still spitting and swearing at us. What a lovely bunch - I assume these were not the prawn sandwich brigade from Bournemouth!

I remember Eric McMordie - wasn't he on loan from Middlesborough - scored a few goals on loan but refused to sign!

For some reason I also remember lots of fighting at the home game against Nottingham Forest!

I was at both games and in my humle opinion the first was the best. Maybe because the Man Utd side was full of players like Chalton, Best and Law or perhaps because we came from behind to win I'm not sure. Here is a picture just after Jack Whitham had scored his fourth.

The Second game we were a dire side on the way down and while the game was exciting it did not hold the same magic. McModie was on loan for two months and yet ended up our leading scorer for the season that is how bad it was.

Guest fredmciverslovechild

I was at both games and in my humle opinion the first was the best. Maybe because the Man Utd side was full of players like Chalton, Best and Law or perhaps because we came from behind to win I'm not sure. Here is a picture just after Jack Whitham had scored his fourth.

The Second game we were a dire side on the way down and while the game was exciting it did not hold the same magic. McModie was on loan for two months and yet ended up our leading scorer for the season that is how bad it was.

I was at both games as well.

It's strange how everyone still persists in saying that Whitham scored four that day but the facts are he didn't. Wednesday's fourth goal was one of the clearest own goals you could ever wish to see; even now I can still picture Nobby Stiles trying to head the cross over his own crossbar but putting it in the net. The only reason Whitham got credited with it was that he was challenging Stiles for the cross.

As for Eric McMordie well, he scored six in nine games for us just before Christmas in that dreadful 1974/75 season and just for a while we looked a half decent team. I remember one match in the middle of those nine; the away game at Notts County which finished 3-3. In the first half McMordie was simply brilliant and how we went in at half time only 1-0 up I'll never know. But then, just after the interval, Ian Scanlon scored a hat trick in 2 minutes 45 seconds to put us 3-1 down before Eric Potts pulled one back with a shot from way out. We then started to play as we had in the first half and just before the end McMordie capped a brilliant personal display with the equaliser. We wanted to sign him permanently but apparently he had business interests in the North East (he was with Boro at the time) and I've a feeling he ended up moving to York City.

And who remembers Ronnie Ferguson from that time? A 17 year old kid thrust into the first team, scored on his debut (but never again) though he did score against us a few years later when playing for Darlington....

I was in the south stand with my dad for the 1974 game. It still stands as one of the most exciting games I've ever seen at Hillsborough, though I was only 11 at the time.