A World Without Mobile Phones?

Guest busy lizzy

I'm stuck to mine all day every day

I use it mostly for podcasts (one of the best inventions of modern times podcasts are - check out Dan Snow's History Hit podcast as an example)

I also use my phone for maps, directions etc - couldn't be without it for that

And the most important thing is to keep in touch with my children anytime anywhere which is priceless

Hi Hjdary

I am not against phones in principal, I can see where they can be useful.

What makes me sad about Society with them is there is a definate lack of verbal conversations around now, at restaurants, on the bus, teenagers talking together. Everything seems to be done through a phone. I was around before mobile phones and I can see how they have taken over some peoples lives. Sadly todays youngsters have not experienced a world without phones, a world where you had peace and quiet, a place where you could have space alone and have time to think, stop and appreciated the world around you. People on their phone constantly miss out on so much of been in the moment, they are plugged in to their phones, ignorant of the world and the people in it. This is not a world I would like to live in. I have no phone, I live in the moment, I experience my surroundings, participate in the world and see its beauty and love first hand, not through headphones and a text.

I dare everyone with a phone to have a NO PHONE DAY  and experience life!

Who is up for the challenge?

I love humanity and love the world, I dont like to see you all turning into Robots controlled by your phones.

Take up the challenge, you owe it to yourselfves,

love and hugs to you all

xx

Where do I start with this ??

Mobiles have their place and have made so many lives easier and indeed safer.

However, they are also like small petulant children in your pocket - me, me, ME, answer ME, hello, Im HERE, ME, ME, ME talk to ME

If I was out in a restaurant or pub etc with friends and someone just walked up to me and ignored everyone else and started talking to me, I wouldn't be very happy, as im sure my friends wouldn't be - you just wouldn't do it. BUT the phone suddenly goes off and so many people just cant help themselves !!

Kids have lost the art of conversation, and god forbid that they don't answer a text, or 'like' a comment within 30 milliseconds of it appearing.

You control them, thy don't control you !

On 14/02/2018 at 22:56, Thorntons girl said:

Hi Hjdary

I am not against phones in principal, I can see where they can be useful.

What makes me sad about Society with them is there is a definate lack of verbal conversations around now, at restaurants, on the bus, teenagers talking together. Everything seems to be done through a phone. I was around before mobile phones and I can see how they have taken over some peoples lives. Sadly todays youngsters have not experienced a world without phones, a world where you had peace and quiet, a place where you could have space alone and have time to think, stop and appreciated the world around you. People on their phone constantly miss out on so much of been in the moment, they are plugged in to their phones, ignorant of the world and the people in it. This is not a world I would like to live in. I have no phone, I live in the moment, I experience my surroundings, participate in the world and see its beauty and love first hand, not through headphones and a text.

I dare everyone with a phone to have a NO PHONE DAY  and experience life!

Who is up for the challenge?

I love humanity and love the world, I dont like to see you all turning into Robots controlled by your phones.

Take up the challenge, you owe it to yourselfves,

love and hugs to you all

xx

Hello Thornton’s Girl. 

A “No Phone Day”?  I like that idea. ( He said typed while sitting in a room with four phones, two iPads a lap top and a kindle!)

They have their place and the world would we worse off without them, but we would be better off if people used them in a respectful manner. 

I like the idea of a day without them though....I’m going to suggest it to my other half. Next month we are off up to Whitby for a couple of days....wonder if we could manage without them completely for at least one of those days. It would be nice to have my other half all to myself and not have to worry about either of our phones ringing, emails piling in or our endless struggle for a charger!

On 14/02/2018 at 13:47, Sheffield History said:

I'm stuck to mine all day every day

I use it mostly for podcasts (one of the best inventions of modern times podcasts are - check out Dan Snow's History Hit podcast as an example)

I also use my phone for maps, directions etc - couldn't be without it for that

And the most important thing is to keep in touch with my children anytime anywhere which is priceless

I was on call one night and more than a little bored when a call came in for a site in Derby, closely followed by a second call for Burton on Trent. Knowing I’d be out all night I looked for something to download to fill my driving time and found a ‘Learn to Speak German’ podcast by a chap called Peter Myer 

I have to say, I wasn’t very good at it but, should you ever find yourself needing to say... “Hello, my name is Peter Myer” or “Go straight past the large sign” I’m your man!

• Like 1